Issues at Blackpool Game | Vital Football

Issues at Blackpool Game

I didn't see any problems in the ground at all. Having paid on the gate, with my ticket I inadvertently found myself in the middle of the 617 (it's a long time since I've bounced, but when in Rome and all that). There were no stewards anywhere near and everyone was left to stand and get on with it. If there were any issues at all I can only think it must have been organisational outside. I saw no hint of trouble before, during or after the game.

There were idiots at Cheltenham a few years ago. To be honest I would have let the local police teach them a lesson. However they stepped in it all stopped.
I didnt see or hear anything that was a problem before, during or after. Interesting that you mention Cheltenham as I was there also on that day and the idiot who had to be physically carried out by stewards/police that day was there last night.

I didnt see or hear anything that was a problem before, during or after. Interesting that you mention Cheltenham as I was there also on that day and the idiot who had to be physically carried out by stewards/police that day was there last night.

Hopefully soon he will do himself a mischief and do everyone a favour!

After the game a rapid police response was required when a group of supporters they were marshaling tried to get at our 2 official supporters coaches. The stupid relatively long distance pick up point being a contributory factor considering during the match the coaches were in a parking area very close to the ground. Similar shifting to a more distant spot without notification during the game at Rochdale also occurred.

I've got nothing against SLO's and I think it's great that they're willing volunteer and take away their own match day experience to help others if needed, but it just seems another thing that the EFL decided every club needs for no reason (although I can understand disabled supporters and their carers needing a bit more help).

What happened to the days of just asking an opposition fan where the away turnstile or ticket office is?

What happened to the days of just asking an opposition fan where the away turnstile or ticket office is?[/QUOTE]
I tried similar at Blackpool with two of their stewards. Instead of sending me left and a 100 yard walk to the away end they sent me and a few others right and a 300 yard walk around the ground perimeter. Got to have their fun somehow I suppose :grinning:

A lot of fuss over nothing probably. Do these SLO’s actually do anything worthwhile other than purvey an over inflated sense of self-importance?

For your average supporter they probably do not make much difference...
but they are visible and mean there is someone obvious to contact around the ground if you should need help. What's the harm in that.

I went to the Mansfield away game last season. I am a middle aged man who prefers to sit on his bum rather than stand when watching. I therefore chose the Non singing section. Some young adults wanted to stand and block my view.
I am quite capable of asking them to sit down and with a bit of hassle I made enough nuisance of my self to get them to wander somewhere else at the back and I could see. Did not need a SLO.

However, just behind and to the side was the disabled viewing section. Some young adults decided to stand, meaning a man in a wheel chair could not see. Supporters around about asked them to sit down and explained why...

They had the no intention of complying and the disabled man would not have been able to see anything...

Fortunately a female SLO brought her "inflated sense of self importance" over with her and quite bravely and insistently, pointed out why they should not be standing in front of a man in a wheel chair, positioned in the disabled section of the stand.

Eventually because she was there the disabled spectator was able to see the match.

It's easy to criticise those who volunteer... I'm sure that spectator was glad they had.

but they are visible and mean there is someone obvious to contact around the ground if you should need help. What's the harm in that.

I went to the Mansfield away game last season. I am a middle aged man who prefers to sit on his bum rather than stand when watching. I therefore chose the Non singing section. Some young adults wanted to stand and block my view.
I am quite capable of asking them to sit down and with a bit of hassle I made enough nuisance of my self to get them to wander somewhere else at the back and I could see. Did not need a SLO.

However, just behind and to the side was the disabled viewing section. Some young adults decided to stand, meaning a man in a wheel chair could not see. Supporters around about asked them to sit down and explained why...

They had the no intention of complying and the disabled man would not have been able to see anything...

Fortunately a female SLO brought her "inflated sense of self importance" over with her and quite bravely and insistently, pointed out why they should not be standing in front of a man in a wheel chair, positioned in the disabled section of the stand.

Eventually because she was there the disabled spectator was able to see the match.

It's easy to criticise those who volunteer... I'm sure that spectator was glad they had.
Good example of where a 'home' steward would just antagonize and make the situation worse.

I’m sorry to hear that. Im pretty sure these volunteers shouldn’t be acting as informal stewards, for numerous reasons not least their own safety.

And that particular SLO does a great job btw.

And as another example, for anyone at either Barnet away or the Exeter play off away, there were clear instances of Alan Long in particular having to work dammed hard to get the morons in our support to behave/stop fighting etc.