Is the Super league back on? | Vital Football

Is the Super league back on?

Spursex

Alert Team

FIFA and UEFA blocking European Super League contrary to EU law

FIFA and UEFA rules on prior approval of competitions such as the EuropeanSuper League are contrary to EU law, says the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Justice.

The prospects of a future European Super League have been boosted after judges said UEFA rules blocking the formation of such a competition were contrary to EU law.

The Grand Chamber of the European Court of Justice had been asked to decide whether UEFA and FIFA acted against competition law by blocking the formation of the European Super League in 2021 and then seeking to sanction the clubs involved.

The court has now ruled that UEFA and FIFA rules granting prior approval for new competitions are contrary to EU law.

A release issued by the court said such rules were "contrary to competition law and the freedom to provide services".

Last edited:

Communications Directorate
Press and Information Unit curia.europa.eu
PRESS RELEASE No 203/23
Luxembourg, 21 December 2023
Judgment of the Court in Case C-333/21 | European Superleague Company
The FIFA and UEFA rules on prior approval of interclub football
competitions, such as the Super League, are contrary to EU law
They are contrary to competition law and the freedom to provide services
The Fédération internationale de football association (FIFA) and the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA)
are associations governed by private law having their headquarters in Switzerland. Their objective is to promote and
set the framework for football at world and European levels. They adopted rules conferring on them the power to
approve interclub football competitions in Europe and exploit the various media rights related to those
competitions.
A group of 12 European football clubs 1, acting through the Spanish company European Superleague Company,
wished to set up a new football competition project: the Super League.
FIFA and UEFA objected to the project, threatening to impose sanctions on clubs and players who might decide to
participate.
European Superleague Company brought an action against FIFA and UEFA before the Commercial Court, Madrid
(Spain), arguing that their rules on approval of competitions and the exploitation of media rights are contrary to EU
law. Having some doubts on the matter in relation to, inter alia, the fact that FIFA and UEFA hold a monopoly on that
market, the Spanish court referred questions to the Court of Justice.
The Court observes that the organisation of interclub football competitions and the exploitation of the media
rights are, quite evidently, economic activities. They must therefore comply with the competition rules and
respect the freedoms of movement, even though the economic pursuit of sport has certain specific
characteristics, such as the existence of associations having certain regulatory and control powers and the power to
impose sanctions. The Court also observes that, in parallel with those powers, FIFA and UEFA themselves organise
football competitions.
Next, the Court holds that, where an undertaking in a dominant position has the power to determine the
The FIFA and UEFA rules making any new interclub football project subject to their prior approval, such as the
Super League, and prohibiting clubs and players from playing in those competitions, are unlawful. There is no
framework for the FIFA and UEFA rules ensuring that they are transparent, objective, non-discriminatory and
proportionate.
Similarly, the rules giving FIFA and UEFA exclusive control over the commercial exploitation of the rights related
to those competitions are such as to restrict competition, given their importance for the media, consumers and
television viewers in the European Union.
Communications Directorate
Press and Information Unit curia.europa.eu
Stay connected!
conditions in which potentially competing undertakings may access the market, that power must, given the
risk of conflict of interest to which it gives rise, be subject to criteria which are suitable for ensuring that they
are transparent, objective, non discriminatory and proportionate. However, the powers of FIFA and UEFA are
not subject to any such criteria. FIFA and UEFA are, therefore, abusing a dominant position.
Moreover, given their arbitrary nature, their rules on approval, control and sanctions must be held to be
unjustified restrictions on the freedom to provide services.
That does not mean that a competition such as the Super League project must necessarily be approved. The
Court, having been asked generally about the FIFA and UEFA rules, does not rule on that specific project in its
judgment.
In parallel, the Court observes that the FIFA and UEFA rules relating to the exploitation of media rights are
such as to be harmful European football clubs, all companies operating in media markets and, ultimately,
consumers and television viewers, by preventing them from enjoying new and potentially innovative or
interesting competitions. It is, however, for the Commercial Court, Madrid, to ascertain whether those rules might
nevertheless benefit different stakeholders in football, for example, by ensuring a solidarity-like redistribution of the
profits generated by those rights.
NOTE: A reference for a preliminary ruling allows the courts and tribunals of the Member States, in disputes which
have been brought before them, to refer questions to the Court of Justice about the interpretation of European
Union law or the validity of a European Union act. The Court of Justice does not decide the dispute itself. It is for the
national court or tribunal to dispose of the case in accordance with the Court’s decision, which is similarly binding on
other national courts or tribunals before which a similar issue is raised.
Unofficial document for media use, not binding on the Court of Justice.
The full text and, as the case may be, the abstract of the judgment is published on the CURIA website on the day of
delivery.
Press contact: Jacques René Zammit ✆ (+352) 4303 3355.
Pictures of the delivery of the judgment are available from ‘Europe by Satellite’ ✆ (+32) 2 2964106.
1 They were initially the following clubs: in Spain, Club Atlético de Madrid, Fútbol Club Barcelona and Real Madrid Club de Fútbol; in Italy, Associazione
Calcio Milan, Football Club Internazionale Milano and Juventus Football Club; and, in the United Kingdom, Arsenal Football Club, Chelsea Football
Club, Liverpool Football Club, Manchester City Football Club, Manchester United Football Club and Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

This is pretty damning..

"FIFA & UEFA are abusing a dominant position...[they are] harmful [to] European football clubs, all companies operating in media markets and, ultimately, consumers and television viewers, by preventing them from enjoying new and potentially innovative or interesting competitions"

This is pretty damning..

"FIFA & UEFA are abusing a dominant position...[they are] harmful [to] European football clubs, all companies operating in media markets and, ultimately, consumers and television viewers, by preventing them from enjoying new and potentially innovative or interesting competitions"

Super league will happen, im certain of it.

The PL charter is worthless, they know it and the clubs know it

The PL and other clubs know full well if they kick out United/Liverpool/Arsenal the TV revenues and sponsorship will dip dramatically, then you add Spurs/City/Newcastle (I imagine now) and Chelsea, you will be looking at Championship like figures for TV deals, no one is paying to watch Brighton v Brentford in China.

I imagine the PL will "reluctantly" agree to the super league

I will be extremely disappointed if we join the super league. It will guarantee a trophiless future for us and continual profit for ENIC.

Many clubs will go bankrupt off the back of this and will be reliant upon making sales to the super league teams to make ends meet.

At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if this is what our team does.

I've been a spurs fan through thick and thin from the beginning of the 90s. Even losing to barnsley in the league was not a low enough point for me to contemplate my support, however, if we joined the ESL, I think I would stop following them altogether.

We would no longer be spurs the football club but spurs, 10% football club, 90% commercial vessel.

The greed in the game has overode everything else. Its peverse.

Wouldn't do much for saving the planet with all of the air travel that would be involved. Don't suppose the club owners would give a shit as long as the money rolls in.

Wouldn't do much for saving the planet with all of the air travel that would be involved. Don't suppose the club owners would give a shit as long as the money rolls in.

It's become more and more this way over the last 15 years. Its now become fever pitch.

Our club is a stunning indictment of profits over trophies.

What people should remember is that this now questions every FIFA and UEFA decision that they think they have the right to make. As an example, who gave them power to negotiate with the broadcasting companies on behalf of the clubs playing in UEFA comps? Did they just take it or were they empowered by their stakeholders? Furthermore, who gave them rights to only distribute 50-60% of those revenues to the clubs involved? Who gave them permission to take that money and pay salaries over the going rate?

For me, this is a great day for football if it really bring the decisions rights conversation to the foreground. Decision rights in football is like your worst Venn diagram.

As for the SL, I'm still on the fence especially with the Saudi model creeping into football.

What people should remember is that this now questions every FIFA and UEFA decision that they think they have the right to make. As an example, who gave them power to negotiate with the broadcasting companies on behalf of the clubs playing in UEFA comps? Did they just take it or were they empowered by their stakeholders? Furthermore, who gave them rights to only distribute 50-60% of those revenues to the clubs involved? Who gave them permission to take that money and pay salaries over the going rate?

For me, this is a great day for football if it really bring the decisions rights conversation to the foreground. Decision rights in football is like your worst Venn diagram.

As for the SL, I'm still on the fence especially with the Saudi model creeping into football.

I think this is very short sighted.

If English teams leave for the ESL, the majority/all of the money will be drained from the PL. It will be catastrophic.

Nope a super league doesn't appeal to me
Would ManU or Chelsea warrant a place in this Super League on their current form?
Itcwould be 'Globetrotters esqe each team playing on reputation rather than merit.
Not for me

Nope a super league doesn't appeal to me
Would ManU or Chelsea warrant a place in this Super League on their current form?
Itcwould be 'Globetrotters esqe each team playing on reputation rather than merit.
Not for me

It's not about the SL though, it's about the money. The CL is becoming a SL over time but the big difference is that UEFA are using and abusing the big clubs / players to line their own pockets. A while back Ex (I think) explained that UEFA negotiate centrally with the broadcasting companies and then they put allocations on the 100% pot of money. For the participating clubs they only get about 50-60% of the pot. The UEFA staff's average salary is about 150k Euros and then UEFA put money into grass roots, but not necessarily in the countries that participate.

Now if you're Levy, Boehly, Mansaur, FSG etc, why would you accept that? They're quite happy for their teams to play against RM, Barca, Juve, BM etc. That's a football spectacle with their footballing product, not UEFAs. Their fans love those European nights on top of the PL and domestic cups.

UEFA can actually fix this by making their own organisation lean and getting the money back with the clubs. They can organise the CL into a league format and make it complimentary to the domestic football. That is why the court of justice decision is so important. Guys like Levy can now challenge why UEFA are taking money from a City vs RM game and putting that money into Slovenia's grass roots. That's not what CL is for and nobody gave UEFA those decision rights in the first place.

It's not about the SL though, it's about the money. The CL is becoming a SL over time but the big difference is that UEFA are using and abusing the big clubs / players to line their own pockets. A while back Ex (I think) explained that UEFA negotiate centrally with the broadcasting companies and then they put allocations on the 100% pot of money. For the participating clubs they only get about 50-60% of the pot. The UEFA staff's average salary is about 150k Euros and then UEFA put money into grass roots, but not necessarily in the countries that participate.

Now if you're Levy, Boehly, Mansaur, FSG etc, why would you accept that? They're quite happy for their teams to play against RM, Barca, Juve, BM etc. That's a football spectacle with their footballing product, not UEFAs. Their fans love those European nights on top of the PL and domestic cups.

UEFA can actually fix this by making their own organisation lean and getting the money back with the clubs. They can organise the CL into a league format and make it complimentary to the domestic football. That is why the court of justice decision is so important. Guys like Levy can now challenge why UEFA are taking money from a City vs RM game and putting that money into Slovenia's grass roots. That's not what CL is for and nobody gave UEFA those decision rights in the first place.
UEFA are supposed to run the game, not negotiate commercial and media deals and then slice off the front and back end to meet their own agenda's, the ECA's are grinning at the prospect of pulling UEFA and FIFA down a peg or two.

As to the SL it will only go away if uefa let loose the financial reins, until then the balls in 3AAA's pitch and they aim to up the ante soon.

The big winners in all this are the ECA; the power they now hold to force UEFA and to some extent FIFA to listen to them and to enforce their views, is now very impressive.

The lawyers are going to make a fortune out of all this.

As the Chinese curse goes, we live in interesting times.

Last edited:
The reason why football is so good compared to other sports is due to the depth of quality teams across Europe. My worry of taking the financial decisions out of UEFAs hands and into the super league clubs is that all that money will likely be distributed to fewer clubs. That isn't going to be good in the long term for football.

I fear people are celebrating UEFA getting knocked down a peg or two despite of what will follow.

The PL should be pushing for a revamp of the CL to more like the super league in order to protect English football pyramid. Uefa need to do this too to protect their relevance

The reason why football is so good compared to other sports is due to the depth of quality teams across Europe. My worry of taking the financial decisions out of UEFAs hands and into the super league clubs is that all that money will likely be distributed to fewer clubs. That isn't going to be good in the long term for football.

I fear people are celebrating UEFA getting knocked down a peg or two despite of what will follow.

The PL should be pushing for a revamp of the CL to more like the super league in order to protect English football pyramid. Uefa need to do this too to protect their relevance
We have the perfect model in the PL. Why change something that isn't broken? It's the European clubs that hold the FOMO.

The simple solution for everybody concerned would be to scrap the league format & make the competition a KO tournament from the start. Not only would that generate more excitement but it would also allow for more teams to be included. That would be my preferred option if changes were to be made.