Is the Premier League the best league in the world? | Vital Football

Is the Premier League the best league in the world?

D

Departed

If so why does it lose its best players to Real Madrid and Barcelona?

depends what you mean by best. do you mean best as in has the best teams? or best as in most entertaining......

or best as in has a fair few of the top teams in the world AND is the most entertaining.

that's why I think it's the best in the league.

The weather is better in Spain !
The PL is probably the most competitive league overall although the top one or 2 teams in some other leagues are better than the top 1 or 2 over here.

80deg16minW - 2/12/2014 11:15

If so why does it lose its best players to Real Madrid and Barcelona?

Because the top two clubs in Spain have with their local governments been allowed to get away with all sorts of tax dodges - but finally at long last the central Gov is trying hard to end the 'special status' deals that so many players get when they move there...

It's been suggested that Bale may only ever pay 13% overall tax on his gross earnings all the time he remains in Spain - their contracts are heavily weighted to media and exploitation rights and these two clubs make huge overseas rights payments - often to off-shore, low or no tax shell corporations in such well known footballing hotbeds as the Dutch Antilles and Bermuda - where of course any tax payments are as mysterious as the triangle itself...

It now gets worse, as allegedly Barca's sponsors are said to be used as a conduit for all sorts of contract benefits that never surface...

So, if you were an agent/player and you could join a league where outside the top 3/4 you can play in the sun and not have too much physical grief whilst accumulating huge tax-free sums - would you turn it down?

I just want to know where I was for the last 8 years!

Many players just chase the money, not the football. But the PL has to be the most COMPETITIVE competition in the world. Although the 'A league' ........

Fek me
I noticed names here from 'the past' that people were talking about, I thought some hhsd made, a come back, then I noticed the 'dates' it shows no convo is ever dead on VS forum.
Re the Premier league is it the best
I agree with Geoff it is the most competitive
Our teams certainly have held their own in European leagues and I would argue our 'weaker' teams, are certainly of a higher standard.
What has happened, and 'Memory Lane' has made me think on this, is how few players from other areas in the 'British Isles' are now present in the Prem.
It used to be NI, Scotland, Wales, Rep of Ireland, could all field players who were (mostly) in the top division.
Now the players just aren't there.

It's funny, but people class it as the best league in the world. However, if you were to tune in at half time you will see pundits talking about refereeing decisions, not skill. When you watch the Prem closely, you don't see much FOOTBALL entertainment. A lot of the time, the games are as dull as ditchwater.

The product is 22 players and a ball. The PL product has completely stopped being that. The PL product is more about Neville, Keane and Carragher rather than De Bruyne, Eriksen and Foden.

It's funny, but people class it as the best league in the world. However, if you were to tune in at half time you will see pundits talking about refereeing decisions, not skill. When you watch the Prem closely, you don't see much FOOTBALL entertainment. A lot of the time, the games are as dull as ditchwater.

The product is 22 players and a ball. The PL product has completely stopped being that. The PL product is more about Neville, Keane and Carragher rather than De Bruyne, Eriksen and Foden.
I think that says more about the pundits than the football. Pundits sit in their comfortable chairs and spit out their negative comments rather than focusing on the more entertaining aspects of a game. They always seem to be suggesting that they could have done a far better job in various situations. It's easy to say in a studio. The pundits who have played the game seem to forget all the mistakes they made. It's rarely as simple as they suggest.
But for pure entertainment value, the most entertaining games are found in the WSL.

Spot on muttley.

I think that says more about the pundits than the football. Pundits sit in their comfortable chairs and spit out their negative comments rather than focusing on the more entertaining aspects of a game. They always seem to be suggesting that they could have done a far better job in various situations. It's easy to say in a studio. The pundits who have played the game seem to forget all the mistakes they made. It's rarely as simple as they suggest.
But for pure entertainment value, the most entertaining games are found in the WSL.
A crowd of 30000 at OT today for United v Villa in the WSL, shows how fast it is growing.

Someone should put together a "Mistakes by Carragher" and a "Mistakes by Neville" highlight reel on youtube.

Best league in terms of marketing.
Best league in terms of competitiveness through each team.
Best European top league in terms of creative chants from fans rather than constant drone of noise that German teams have or the boring whistling of many European leagues.
Best league that uses a language that many countries with wealth speak or primarily learn as a second language.
Best league for attracting foreign talent due to the money that a large number of teams can afford in England.

Not the best in terms of technical quality of the football.
Not the best league for developing young, local talent.
Not the best league for allowing fans to actively engage with the game.
Not the best league for being the "end goal" for the truly top players.
Not the best league for humour. Everything about the game is so business focused that there is no space for remembering that it is a game where jokes can be made.