Is Football Entertainment? | Vital Football

Is Football Entertainment?

Luke Imp

Alert Team
Staff member
Just spotted this on Twitter. Agree or disagree?

This is over quite a few tweets, so I've just put it in paragraph form so it's easier to read.

Tony Evans??Verified account? @TonyEvans92a · 2h2 hours ago
Biggest change in game in my lifetime? Idea that football is entertainment. That losing is somehow OK if it's pretty and winning can be dull. Let's call it Arsenalification. It'll do until a better word comes along.

It shouldn't be the way sport works. It's all a bit figure skating, isn't it? The mindset has produced a generation of players who excel on one area (attacking) but can't do the basics in another (defending). It's created an unbalanced game which is actually less interesting. A lot of people don't appreciate defensive skills then yelp when their team leaks goals. Anyway, memo to the 'entertainment' crew. There are no points for artistic impression. Yet the great @SteveNicol61 said something to me that's stuck in mind. It was about Man U in 80s. 'It was like they had a 10yo's view of game'.

'They wanted all the benefits of success in football without putting in the hard work.' Strikes me there's a lot of that going on. I've seen teams that could play the opposition off the park. The best of them could also brawl their way to success. And as a fan, the routs didn't give me much pleasure. The over-my-dead-body, backs-to-the-wall, get-a-result-or-die-trying games were best. Much more satisfying that games that were dead after 5min and became an exercise in flat-track bullying.

Think people go the match differently now, too. When I started it was about going with your mates and local pride. What happened during games was almost tangential. Win equalled happy, loss miserable. Can't remember anyone complaining that a win was dull. But only place you could see live football was in grounds. There was plenty going on

Now most people watch on TV. They are more focused on the action than we were. Even those who go the game can unpick it from the highlights.

Anyway, in my view sport is different to other pastimes because ultimately it's about result. Spectacle is great but it's window dressing. In my view the biggest threat to the game is notion of entertainment. The sense that some teams, some matches are unworthy if not 'stylish'. That there's only one way to win; that talent should be free to dominate and that doggedness and organisation are an afront to the game.

The essence of team games are that the group are greater than sum of their parts. Pulis gets sneered at. Would you like him to roll over?

Anyway, enough from me. If I want to be entertained, I'll go the pictures, the theatre or a concert. I want something different from sport. A contest. And ideally a trophy at the end of it all.

I agree with the spirt of the tweets only to add that for many Football is entertainment especially if you are watching a march as a neutral. However when it’s your club taking the field it’s a lot more than simple entertainment. We’ve all gone home having ground out a 1-1 draw against a better side and felt relief, satisfaction even. Felt the devastation when relegation threatens. Elation on achieving promotion.

I can happily watch a Glasgow or Manchester derby game for entertainment only as I don’t have any particular connection with the clubs. That dramatically changes when Lincoln City are involved.

Personally I’ve not had football as a way of life. Probably as i’m an exile. However I can easily understand how a group of mates that followed their club from school days. Grew up together, meet up every matchday for a pint and travel together to away games, it does become a key part of who they are.

Leaving aside the fact he's a Liverpool fan taking the Murdoch shilling, I quite like Tony Evans' articles. I certainly agree with this. One of the best things to have come out of our recent turnaround is the number of old mates Ive seen at home and away games - its been a great laugh, as it should be.

Also as someone who lives in north London I can relate to the 'Arsenalification' of football. Whingeing because they haven't finished in the top 4. My heart bleeds.

When I was younger Arsenal was the benchmark for great defending and winning dull. Agree with the article, and it's apt in the light of a small number of comments last weekend stating that an entertaining loss would have been preferable to another boring 0-0. Nonsense!

NottyImp - 1/11/2017 03:36

We're pretty good at defending!

I think you'll find the correct phrase is: "we're difficult to beat"...

...anyway, I watch Lincoln to see us get points. Points win prizes. If I want to be entertained by football I'll watch Match of the Day on a Saturday night.

Last season - Torquay (home), Gateshead (away) Macclesfield (home) - these games were not entertaining at all. They were turgid slogs. They are three games that are going to stay with me until the day I die.

Perhaps our 3-2 home defeat by Woking on 23 April 2016 was an entertaining 5 goal thriller - but I can't remember a flipping thing about it.

Big Jack McGinley - 1/11/2017 12:27

...anyway, I watch Lincoln to see us get points. Points win prizes. If I want to be entertained by football I'll watch Match of the Day on a Saturday night.

Last season - Torquay (home), Gateshead (away) Macclesfield (home) - these games were not entertaining at all. They were turgid slogs. They are three games that are going to stay with me until the day I die.

Perhaps our 3-2 home defeat by Woking on 23 April 2016 was an entertaining 5 goal thriller - but I can't remember a flipping thing about it.

It's up there with "Results. End of." :pointy:

Big Jack McGinley - 1/11/2017 12:27

Funny isn't it. Gateshead was one of the worst games I've seen (even by Lincoln's low standards) and yet those last 3 minutes will stay with me forever.

Football is really just a sporting version of soap opera.

We follow the team, its ups and downs, just as soap addicts watching Eastenders or Corrie do with the characters in those programmes. :pointy:

I started watching football in 1958.Certain things have changed.The ball is now a lot lighter and the players a lot fitter.Diet etc., More money in the game,when i started players were on £12 in winter and i believe £10 in summer.The kit today is lighter, it i the speed of the game faster.As Notty has said it is more like a soap opera off the field,and this is sometime becoming more interesting than the matches.

Watching football and supporting a football team are two entirely different things.

You can do both at the same time, but the motivations and emotions engendered depend entirely on which "mode" you are in at the time. I can go from "their central midfielder is really running the show" to "flipping heck ref, book the dirty son of a camel you cowardly son of a gun" in about a micro second...

Watching the Imps - only the result matters. I can be stuck in motorway jams, standing in the freezing cold, and watch a match with zero shots, a ref who blows up every ten seconds so long as a shinner takes 3 deflections and is helped to dribble over the line for an OG at some point in the match to give us a 1 nil win. And yes I would take that every week indefinitely because it's my team.

Taking my lad to Man City - I expect to be entertained. I've been fleeced for the privilege of watching supposedly some of the best players on the planet paid ridiculous wages. I therefore expect to see them perform every game and for the players on show to bust a gut for 90 mins. It doesn't have to be wonderful attacking football; I will settle for excellent defending and great tactical nous. Bottom line though is it's not my team playing and couldn't care less who wins so yes I want entertainment for my money.

hulloutpost - 1/11/2017 13:43

Watching the Imps - only the result matters. I can be stuck in motorway jams, standing in the freezing cold, and watch a match with zero shots, a ref who blows up every ten seconds so long as a shinner takes 3 deflections and is helped to dribble over the line for an OG at some point in the match to give us a 1 nil win. And yes I would take that every week indefinitely because it's my team.

Taking my lad to Man City - I expect to be entertained. I've been fleeced for the privilege of watching supposedly some of the best players on the planet paid ridiculous wages. I therefore expect to see them perform every game and for the players on show to bust a gut for 90 mins. It doesn't have to be wonderful attacking football; I will settle for excellent defending and great tactical nous. Bottom line though is it's not my team playing and couldn't care less who wins so yes I want entertainment for my money.

Are you one of the ones that go dressed as a blue plastic seat?!

I'd like to be entertained every game but its all pretty simple to me when following your own team.

If we win and get 3 points I don't give a tinkers cuss how we played.

If we draw I'll try and take the positives out of it but may have a little moan just depending on performance.

If we get beat, especially at home I'll probably moan like hell, find a scapegoat to blame be in a bad mood until the next morning then forget all about it.

Then the next match start the whole process again.

MaineRoad_96 - 1/11/2017 13:49

hulloutpost - 1/11/2017 13:43

Are you one of the ones that go dressed as a blue plastic seat?!

Yes there are usually a lot of us similarly dressed :he he: Citeh fans are getting nearly as touristy as United ones as well. I say nearly as I had to laugh out loud at the last Lancashire County Cricket match in September. A couple of twenty somethings had rocked up at Old Trafford and had to take the walk of shame in front of 'us members' when it transpired they actually wanted the other Old Trafford where that lot play. Getting the p. taken by a group of octogenarians is about as uncool as it gets for a twenty something I reckon.

watching wycombe fans celebrating behind the goal having saved themselves as we were relegated on our own pitch. micky bloor losing the ball on the half way line for darlington to break away and score. the horror, the horror.

is entertainment the right word, it sounds far too cozy? if it was all excitement, thrill, joy, and elation then maybe yes. but what about all the dread, nail-biting, anxiety, panic, despair, frustration, outrage and injustice it brings out.

the real point of it is watching the ball go in the opposition net. there is zero entertainment in even the thought of watching the ball go in our net.

side note re: entertainment satisfaction - would there be the same level of concern if we had produced two 3-3 draws in our last two home league games, rather than two 0-0 draws?

nlondonimp - 1/11/2017 16:51

side note re: entertainment satisfaction - would there be the same level of concern if we had produced two 3-3 draws in our last two home league games, rather than two 0-0 draws?

Nah we'd all be moaning about how poor the defence are.