Is Cook now under pressure? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Is Cook now under pressure?

I'm guessing the contract was authorised by IEC but if they see us getting sucked into a relegation battle then they may get twitchy with their lack of experience. Forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't Birmingham owned by a Hong Kong consortium and are they the ones that sacked Rowett when they were in the play offs?
That's like saying XXX are owned by an Italian so they must be about to sack their manager just as Leeds kept doing

I think his heart is in it but subconsciously maybe you have a point. I like Burn but by God he looks far from a PL central defender at present.
Looks to me like Brighton inserted an appearance clause in that loan back of Burn. Kipre and Dunks were forming a good partnership, no need to tinker with it.

That's like saying XXX are owned by an Italian so they must be about to sack their manager just as Leeds kept doing

No, it's highlighting they are owners from the same part of the world, who by their own admission haven't a clue about football so not unreasonable to draw the conclusion they may well operate in the same fashion.

No danger at all. The club backed Cook with the new contract and during the last transfer window. We spent upwards of 6m, if the Evans deal goes through in Jan. If we pass on finalizing the deal for him twice i'll be beyond gutted.

We've seen multiple systems and strange team selections this season. The worst thing is the lack of learning from things that simply don't work. From the personnel to the style of play. Also we've been guilty of not performing to the required levels quite often this season.

With that said, when Cooks approach is to go for it i'm always impressed by our play. It's a shame that too often his approach is to allow teams onto us and try to counter with players that don't have anywhere near the required ability or instructions to perform in that manner successfully. Usually resulting in the long ball, as we do not move correctly to play out from the back whilst deep.

Last season i was hoping we'd strengthen our two wingers as our main focus. To be fair to Jacobs and Massey they both started the season well. Jacobs was moving the ball on quicker than last season and Massey generally was playing at a much higher level. Hopefully when they return they wont have lost their level of play they were playing at before their injuries.

Cook's character is his biggest strength, under our recent managers that failed i wasn't confident they could do better. Under Cook i'm usually disappointed when we're poor. Rather than expect to be poor, under Joyce i expected it to be bad week in week out. The balls on that fella to play the system he utilized week in week out was the only impressive quality he had here, personally i'd be too embarrassed to even attempt to park multiple buses inside our own box.

Not in the slightest.

But this is his most difficult spell in management so far. This run of games was always going to be difficult but I think we’ve underperformed even when you take the injuries into consideration.

He needs a good think about what we need in January.

I think every manager is under constant pressure to get results, no matter how much you've done in the past.

But i wouldnt say Cooks job is under presure just yet but you can feel the pressure is building on us getting back to playing better. Which isn't unreasonable.

We are in a tough run of games with us playing the top 4 or 5 sides close together, but after the international break when the run of fixtures are kinder - if performances and results dont improve that could change.

As for Burn he's not playing that well at all but i think it's not a lack of willing just a combination of being rusty, getting used to new players, confidence and playing against better players. Last time we played at this level the defence sat deeper and protected him in greater numbers plus teams were more inclined to have a big striker for him to battle meaning he was able to play as a stopper winning the physical and aerial battles which he is good at. This year teams have been playing smaller, quicker strikers and more pass and move and we're playing a higher line with less protection and he's not as suited towards that.

I think Burn can get better as he settles back in but I thought it was a mistake to bring him back in and break up Dunkley and Kipre. At the moment i dont think he'd be that big of a loss in January.

We are seeing the trend of football at this level is changing and centre halfs requirements are evolving. I'm not sure if Burn is suited to playing that higher line against more skillful and faster players who are going short rather than for aerial duels.

I think Burn can get better as he settles back in but I thought it was a mistake to bring him back in and break up Dunkley and Kipre. At the moment i dont think he'd be that big of a loss in January.

We are seeing the trend of football at this level is changing and centre halfs requirements are evolving. I'm not sure if Burn is suited to playing that higher line against more skillful and faster players who are going short rather than for aerial duels.
If you saw Dunkley's legs yesterday in the warm-up he had strapping on them, plus he had a poor game against SU. May have been carrying a slight injury that required him being rested and only used in emergencies. Maybe not, but just a point that I saw

If you saw Dunkley's legs yesterday in the warm-up he had strapping on them, plus he had a poor game against SU. May have been carrying a slight injury that required him being rested and only used in emergencies. Maybe not, but just a point that I saw

Dunkelys has had both hamstrings taped all season so there is a good shout that he maybe was carrying a knock - but if that was the case I'd think he'd not be on the bench.

It does beg the question though do we have some type of issue that is causing so many hamstrings to go? Massey, Jacobs, Grigg, Roberts all out with hamstrings - not sure what it is with Powell at the moment but he's always had issues with his hamstrings, both of Dunkleys are taped up every game. Not sure if maybe there is something with the warm ups and training that is causing it or just a crazy bad coincidence but when you have so many in quick succession it does suggest there could be some underlying problem somewhere.

Dunkelys has had both hamstrings taped all season so there is a good shout that he maybe was carrying a knock - but if that was the case I'd think he'd not be on the bench.

It does beg the question though do we have some type of issue that is causing so many hamstrings to go? Massey, Jacobs, Grigg, Roberts all out with hamstrings - not sure what it is with Powell at the moment but he's always had issues with his hamstrings, both of Dunkleys are taped up every game. Not sure if maybe there is something with the warm ups and training that is causing it or just a crazy bad coincidence but when you have so many in quick succession it does suggest there could be some underlying problem somewhere.

Unless Cook has completely altered his training methods for some odd reason, Ii think we've just been very unlucky. I don't know what the injury situation was at his previous clubs, but there was no inkling of these kind of injuries last season.

In the run up to the game Sky reported that Dunkley was being rested due to a slight injury and being replaced with Kipre.

As far as the under pressure question goes, I must admit it seems he is, his after game interview was unbelievable. I don't think he was watching the same game as me. To say that the players gave everything on the pitch goes I suggest he watches the Windass break from their corner. He is one on one yet six other players get back to defend without a single latics player even trying to get up with him. Gave everything on the pitch, give us a break.

Unless Cook has completely altered his training methods for some odd reason, Ii think we've just been very unlucky. I don't know what the injury situation was at his previous clubs, but there was no inkling of these kind of injuries last season.

That's exactly what i'm thinking - last year we had hardly any injuries even during the fixture congestion playing 2 games a week for 2 month. Yet this year within a couple of months half of our first team have hamstring problems. I'm wondering if the step up in level saw us try to step up our training in some ways and we've suffered unintended consequences.

I think too much is being read into the problem. Massey's injury was apparently a bit of a freak, Grigg picked up his problem whilst away on international duty and who knows what training methods he was exposed to there, and Powell has always had hamstring problems. I honestly don't think there is a problem but I must admit it takes my mind back to Uwe's second season and the injury problems we had then.

In the run up to the game Sky reported that Dunkley was being rested due to a slight injury and being replaced with Kipre.

As far as the under pressure question goes, I must admit it seems he is, his after game interview was unbelievable. I don't think he was watching the same game as me. To say that the players gave everything on the pitch goes I suggest he watches the Windass break from their corner. He is one on one yet six other players get back to defend without a single latics player even trying to get up with him. Gave everything on the pitch, give us a break.
As Pep Guardiola said to his players in the All or Nothing documentary...”of course I’m going to defend you until the last day of our lives in the press conference. But here, I’m going to tell you the truth!”

Make no mistake Cook will be slaughtering that lot behind closed doors. That viral clip will haunt him and his staff. A video that reflects badly on him personally as a manager as those are his players being humiliated by Leeds’ work rate. He’ll be absolutely spewing and I don’t blame him.