Irreplaceable Dembele | Vital Football

Irreplaceable Dembele

ftuttle

Vital Youth Team
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/11257798/mousa-dembele-a-unique-genius-and-irreplaceable-for-tottenham

With Dembele fast approaching the end of his contract in 2019 and news of big offers coming in from China, how do we replace the irreplaceable? Are Wanyama and Winks good enough? Should we try to keep hold of him as long as possible, managing potential injuries as best we can?

I guess it depends on what he wants from the final years of his career. Stick it out to see the 'project' to fruition or have one final big payday?

I believe that's why we were trying so hard to get Gomes and still believe he will be our no.1 in the summer.

I hope we are looking around for a CM who has some of his skill sets. As it stands we don't have anyone in the squad capable of replacing the moose.

Are we even sure he wants to leave...sure China may be able to push a lot of money your way...but it is still China, not exactly mainstream.

Hope we can keep him, and more importantly keep him healthy. He is a monster when he is on his game.

Has any team got a player quite like Dembele though

He is pretty unique . I have given up trying to figure out what he does. It's not easily quantifiable. He don't score , not many assists either. Gives away daft free kicks, gets lots of yellows. Gets injured a lot.

But he gives a driving impetus and enforces MF I guess. I love watching him play mostly but drives me crazy sometimes.

Nick Real Deal - 20/2/2018 17:54

He is pretty unique . I have given up trying to figure out what he does. It's not easily quantifiable. He don't score , not many assists either. Gives away daft free kicks, gets lots of yellows. Gets injured a lot.

But he gives a driving impetus and enforces MF I guess. I love watching him play mostly but drives me crazy sometimes.

He makes our possession game better. He is an outlet when things get tight in midfield or we are being pressed. Just give it to him and more often that not he will put himself into space after taking opposing players out of position.

He is a safety valve. He gives us time to regain shape and or transition.

Real Deal - 20/2/2018 12:46

I hope we are looking around for a CM who has some of his skill sets. As it stands we don't have anyone in the squad capable of replacing the moose.

There isn't one, Dembo is a unique player, one of a kind.

When he goes we need to change our style, trying to replace like for like would be futile.

Every spurs player say he is the best player at the club, pundits and ex footballers all say he is one of the best in the world.

He is hands down our best midfielder even at 70%.

Pollo - 20/2/2018 19:37

Real Deal - 20/2/2018 12:46

There isn't one, Dembo is a unique player, one of a kind.

When he goes we need to change our style, trying to replace like for like would be futile.

Oh I agree there isn't one. But there are players around who have his defensive game and the ability to keep possession.

There are definitely players about with a similar style to Dembele but just not many as good at it.

Although he's getting no younger I still think he can do a job for us for a few more years. Lets be honest he don't rely on pace.

I reckon Dembele became the player he is today because of his experiences in the other positions he played. He started off as an out and out centre forward and a pretty poor one of that. He then played a little deeper and was the perfect foil for a player like Dempsey to get the goals at Fulham. On those days he used to get in the channel between centre half and full back and do the damage but not the goals. He then finally transitioned into a brilliant centre midfielder and the player we have today.

Worth noting that if we do want to replace him then we might need to factor that in. Hence why I think Barkley was on our radar for a while. More likely we'll have to find other ways to adapt as he gets older with players like Eriksen coming deeper and doing the damage. That's already started to happen. Priority surely has to be to get an extension on the existing contract.

There was a report we are watching a youngster at Napoli. 20 yr old Diawara apparently mature beyond his years and intelligent with good game awareness, ball winner and strong. It is thought he is frustrated with little game time to develop himself. Could be one for the future.

There have been times when I'd have happily sold him either because of his constant chronic injury issue(s) or his dreadful form before/after injury - he is now playing the way he should have been for years - but he is inconsistent, he DID keep running into blind alleys and over-running the ball - fantastic at shielding it and keeping it, but gave up on the number of times he'd beat three players the pass it backwards...or 3 yards sideways.

As of now, he is irreplaceable for us and playing the best football of his career- long may it continue.

we won’t simply get a like for like replacement for Moose. Yet if we had to replace Moose in the summer, we could by replacing our entire central midfield. It is conceivable to replace the duo Dembele/Dier with two players equalling their influence and efficiency.

Over time this problem may sort itself out. We may get an upgrade on Dier or see Dier and/or Wanyama significantly improve and Winks nail down a starting berth or Alli will drop back into the CM slot and do an even better job than anyone. Time will tell.

we do like to go over the top on players.
dembele cant shoot
cant pass.
always passes sidways.
has underachieved at spurs ,
we lost 9 semi finals 1 cup final
and every knockout europa league
we not won an away game in the last 34 matches and not kept a clean sheet in the last 32

kcspurs - 21/2/2018 19:37

we do like to go over the top on players.
dembele cant shoot
cant pass.
always passes sidways.
has underachieved at spurs ,
we lost 9 semi finals 1 cup final
and every knockout europa league
we not won an away game in the last 34 matches and not kept a clean sheet in the last 32

He stats that came up on sky prove how important he is to us.

Poch has put him in a very high bracket.

What he does is form part of the barrier that protects our back four and is the monopolizer of possession that allows our attackers to play.