Ipswich Town | Vital Football

Ipswich Town

jeffs right

Vital Football Hero
Interesting to see them so close to gaining promotion to the top flight. Just a couple of seasons ago we were League 1 Champions with them quite a way behind us. How fortunes change.
Surprising what can happen when a Billionaire takes over your club.

In matters closer to home it seems Derby are doing their best to give Bolton a chance to claim that automatic promotion spot.

Interesting to see them so close to gaining promotion to the top flight. Just a couple of seasons ago we were League 1 Champions with them quite a way behind us. How fortunes change.
Surprising what can happen when a Billionaire takes over your club.
Thing is a billionaire didn't take over Ipswich. A pension fund in the US are providing the money and were responsible for their takeover

Thing is a billionaire didn't take over Ipswich. A pension fund in the US are providing the money and were responsible for their takeover
Also a bit different in that Ipswich as a town has a population of about 60k more than Wigan and Town are the only professional club in the entire county, nearest team is about 50 miles away.

Last edited:
Not forgetting...
Ipswich owners issue new shares (40%) of the current shareholding to raise approx £105m. This values the club at £260m.
The new shares have been bought by a USA private equity fund.

The worry is that both these 'owners' care not one jot about Ipswich, only about their return on investment. To be honest this is just what I would want if it were my pension fund or my investment fund manager.
The romance of football (jumpers for goalposts) is dead now the US is involved.

It's interesting that they spent similar amounts as our previous ownership did on wages in L1 to get up but the big difference is we seemed exclusively focused on getting up and signed older players who were proven in L1 but many had previously struggled in the Championship. While they seemed a bit more forward thinking and signed good L1 players who had more potential to step up after promotion (Walton, Burns, Clarke, Davis, Burgess, Harness) or were more proven in the Championship (Chaplin, Morsy, Evans, Broadhead, Luongo).

They probably did spend a bit more than us in L1 but both us and Ipswich spent vast amounts and the gap in quality between the quality we both came up with was huge. I wouldn't have necessarily have expected us to do what Ipswich have done but for the money we spent we should've had a side a lot more capable of stepping up than we did.

Not forgetting...
Ipswich owners issue new shares (40%) of the current shareholding to raise approx £105m. This values the club at £260m.
The new shares have been bought by a USA private equity fund.

The worry is that both these 'owners' care not one jot about Ipswich, only about their return on investment. To be honest this is just what I would want if it were my pension fund or my investment fund manager.
The romance of football (jumpers for goalposts) is dead now the US is involved.

I wouldn’t want my pension fund invested in football tbh.

Paul Cook deserves most of the credit regarding recruitment. That squad is formed mainly of players he signed. McKenna has since took them to another level from a coaching perspective. Further proof that if you actually do your proper due diligence rather than employing solely on name/reputation (Kolo), then there are some excellent future managers to be found within the backroom staff of big clubs.

Speaking of US owners, I see Tom Brady's bunch at Birmingham have plans for a 'sports quarter' and 60k seater stadium. I'm surprised it's taken so long for someone to invest big money in them to be honest. One of the only English clubs left with genuine potential to really grow in size. Their poor attendances have always confused me considering the location of the club.

Further proof that if you actually do your proper due diligence rather than employing solely on name/reputation (Kolo), then there are some excellent future managers to be found within the backroom staff of big clubs.
Spot on, no need to break the bank lets hope we find one, because we bloody need someone.

Paul Cook deserves most of the credit regarding recruitment. That squad is formed mainly of players he signed. McKenna has since took them to another level from a coaching perspective. Further proof that if you actually do your proper due diligence rather than employing solely on name/reputation (Kolo), then there are some excellent future managers to be found within the backroom staff of big clubs.

Speaking of US owners, I see Tom Brady's bunch at Birmingham have plans for a 'sports quarter' and 60k seater stadium. I'm surprised it's taken so long for someone to invest big money in them to be honest. One of the only English clubs left with genuine potential to really grow in size. Their poor attendances have always confused me considering the location of the club.
Them building a 60k stadium is like us building a 25k stadium. Most of the time it’ll be less than half full even with free tickets given out. They’ve got a good fanbase but Villa are better supported and there are other big clubs in the area. Worst mistake they made though was sacking Eustace when they were doing well. I think they’ll end up in a right mess if they go down this year.