Introduction of young players. | Vital Football

Introduction of young players.

Peak Rover

Vital Reserves Team
I am all in favour of bringing in young players for some games. However the introduction of Seriki and Gordon has not been Ideal. They were forced to play when the two well liked players were injured, with square pegs in round holes and Egan playing as badly as I have seen him play. I don't think either played badly but neither played in the next match. Gordon was only recalled when there was no alternative. I Hope their confidence hasn't been damaged as I think both have potential to be good players for us.

I guess there is never an idea time to introduce them, unless the season is dead. I thought Gordon looked ok, but Seriki out of his depth. Hard to know about Jebbison as he gets so little playing time.

But no gain without pain - keep playing them and they will get better I reckon. We are going to need them apparently with no money to spend.

Gordon looks like a liability.

Lopata should start over him. He at least has the physicality to play CB in the Championship. And he's been playing regular football at a decent level.

Might even be better to play Lopata in the middle with Egan RCB.

We said Dom Calvert Lewin and Che Adams wouldn't play above L1 level. Thats not to say we are wrong about Gordon and Seriki, but simply that we have been wrong before. All a question of timing for emerging youngsters, imo. At that age six months can be a long time in terms of physical development.

Not writing Gordon off. And he should develop a lot physically in the next year or so. Then it might be different, but right now, he looks a liability.

I said DCL would have a better career than Adams too. Thought he'd at least be decent at Championship level. Still turned out right about him and Adams but certainly more because of DCL's remarkable rise than Adams wasting his talent as I thought he would. Fair play to both - amazing development. Just quite a slap in the face how Adams immediately sorted himself out after leaving us. But we were in quite a state at the time.

Lopata looked good in the Carabao cup of and he has the ability to head the ball. Was surprised when he was loaned out the only advantage.as chronic said he has has the benefit of playing regularly for a good coach.Shough be considered for the next match if sick list is just the same.
Another thing that's disturbing is that Brunt who was playing regularly at Southend was recalled, loaned to Notts County and isn't getting grass time.

TBH they are being exposed in many ways- playing catch up/hang on in pressure games due to our Slav start and having to play in an unsettled,lop sided team alongside others who are playing out of position or out of form or both.
There's been no one alongside them to help them cope as they themselves are struggling to cope.
Thrown in at the deep end- sink or swim. In the long run it will be of benefit to them but, ATM, we are in a highly competitive,short season mini league with a chance of the ultimate prize in English football........................................so man up and become heroes.

With the Prince's current model then the sooner we blood these young players and find out who is good enough and who is not, the better. It is highly unlikely we will get promoted with almost a full first 11 injured and with West Ham sniffing around Egan we need an extended look at Gordon and Lopata.