Interviews | Vital Football

Interviews

Fickle Moley

Vital Newbie
My boss who is a Lincoln supporter and knows these things cos he works closely with someone at the club tells me the six being interviewed are allegedly :

David Preece
Marcus Bignot
Rob Scott
Robbie Fowler
Terry Butcher
Nicky Law

Just saying....don't shoot the messenger.

"Shout out your name
Take all their numbers
Make witnesses for your defence
At the station they will search you
Make a list of your belongings
Don't sign for something you don't own
At the station there'll be questions
Don't answer, see a lawyer first
Don't make a written statement without legal advice"

An interesting mix.

Butcher would be different but I'd be tempted to go for Nicky Law I think.

Fickle Moley - 16/4/2016 08:46

My boss who is a Lincoln supporter and knows these things cos he works closely with someone at the club tells me the six being interviewed are allegedly :

David Preece
Marcus Bignot
Rob Scott
Robbie Fowler
Terry Butcher
Nicky Law

"Shout out your name
Take all their numbers

If these are correct, and they should probably come with a health warning, then Bignot is the only successful young, current manager. It could be argued that Law does well with limited resources, very familiar, and I don't fancy a 'name' in Butcher and Fowler after what happened with Sutton.Butcher had a dreadful time at Newport this season and his only real managerial success was with Inverness. Preece no experience, and Scott well......... UTI

David Preece
Marcus Bignot
Rob Scott
Robbie Fowler
Terry Butcher
Nicky Law

"Shout out your name
Take all their numbers

Continually comparing Sutton to other candidates is ridiculous. Fowler could capture the imagination of players and supporters, stimulate national interest, be instrumental in bringing in quality players, and put numbers through the turnstiles. If we only need to play hoofball it's no wonder we'll be down here forever. The teams that win this league must do so with generally and all round better players.

If it was me I would be asking someone like Graham Taylor to sit on the interview panel, if only for SME advice.

If correct, that's a terrible choice.

Preece - We need someone from the outside
Bignot - Don't know enough about him
Rob Scott - A really angry man
Robbie Fowler - Need someone with non-league experience and this'd be yet another gamble
Terry Butcher - Only seems to do a half decent job in Scotland
Nicky Law - If people didn't like the style of play, lack of clean sheets and bad discipline record in recent years then you'll not like Law.

Stand out candidate for me on that list would be Marcus Bignot, I personally think there will be a few different names in the hat.

Stand out candidate for me on that list would be Marcus Bignot, I personally think there will be a few different names in the hat.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10205813/robbie-fowler-doing-pro-licence-in-bid-to-become-manager

Ex-Ref - 16/4/2016 09:46

David Preece
Marcus Bignot
Rob Scott
Robbie Fowler
Terry Butcher
Nicky Law

"Shout out your name
Take all their numbers

Continually comparing Sutton to other candidates is ridiculous. Fowler could capture the imagination of players and supporters, stimulate national interest, be instrumental in bringing in quality players, and put numbers through the turnstiles. If we only need to play hoofball it's no wonder we'll be down here forever. The teams that win this league must do so with generally and all round better players.

I agree that compasions to Sutton are reductive, he seemed to view our level and the players there as something he'd just stepped in, and that isn't necessarily the outlook of all ex top players. It does seem, though, that very few ex top players do well managing lower league clubs, especially as a first job.

On the face of it Fowler does seem more suited to the Chester job, but that depends on their finances i guess.

Well that's an uninspiring list.

Preece: I don't think an internal appointment is the way to go.
Bignot: Probably my favourite on the list (just from scotimps articles)
Scott: just no
Fowler: his knowledge of non-league won't be near any where near good enough. Would the big name be expensive? Probably would need a non-league head beside him, even more money! But with his connections could get some fantastic loan signings in.
Butcher: Unexpected. Also not sure of his non-league knowledge.
Law: Defent amount of experience and some success. It wouldn't be pretty, but it would be alright.

David Preece
Marcus Bignot
Rob Scott
Robbie Fowler
Terry Butcher
Nicky Law

"Shout out your name
Take all their numbers
Looks like you have done it again! :fishing:

Ex-Ref - 16/4/2016 09:46

David Preece
Marcus Bignot
Rob Scott
Robbie Fowler
Terry Butcher
Nicky Law

"Shout out your name
Take all their numbers

I agree with this. Sutton left many of us scarred but to see a name and then say no because of Sutton is unfair.

A few more points.
This reminds me of when John Schofield was appointed.A lot of talk and then internal applicant.
Preece: It seems the players like him.
Bignot: Knows the lower leagues,club and team spirit.
Scott: Very good record albeit with Hurst.Will have learned his lesson over the Grimsby incident.
Butcher: Good and bad record.Business in Ipswich.
Fowler: Managed in Thailand.I would think he lives in Liverpool,and that could be a problem.Would have a lot of contacts.
Law: Lives close,knows the lower leagues,and had a reasonable record.
I would go for Bignot,with Preece as coach,and i wouldnt rule out Scott.
I think Bob would be wary of Fowler and Butcher having been burnt with Tilson and Sutton(travelling problems)

Not sure what decisions, if any, have been made already but I personally believe it will be an appointment from within the club.

Someone on banter who knows Bob and is usually accurate has been told 4 on the shortlist and all under 50. So the plot thickens.

German Imp - 16/4/2016 11:35

Not sure what decisions, if any, have been made already but I personally believe it will be an appointment from within the club.
A deckchair shuffle would be the worst option possible and would mean teflon Brown keeps his job almost certainly yet again.
Typical Lincoln if that does happen a cheap uninspiring appointment.
Would rather Thommo and Mick Harford in charge then any of those bar Bignot!