Interesting Tweet from Accy Stanley Owner - The Trap | Vital Football

Interesting Tweet from Accy Stanley Owner - The Trap

I get what he says about remaining at that level but not really sure what he means about he is not setting the ambition level. Is he suggesting that football finances and being a small club are setting it for him?

I can only think that he is making a direct response to something a fan/group have stated about perceived ambitions of Stanley. He obviously is looking at the future of the club in terms of not making an overspend which could put the clubs future in doubt.

Seems like a wise owner and other clubs could do with having such in charge

When we are playing League 1 next season I would hope that our board keep such a level headed approach

Being realistic i would say and i would imagine a possible feeder club for failed footballers from north west to move on elsewhere.Relegation back to league 2 In My Opinion.

Being realistic i would say and i would imagine a possible feeder club for failed footballers from north west to move on elsewhere.Relegation back to league 2 In My Opinion.

They've not had a bad start with a couple of good away wins. Obviously getting the best out of their resources

....not really sure what he means about he is not setting the ambition level. Is he suggesting that football finances and being a small club are setting it for him?

No, he's saying the best "financial" outcome is to stay in League One.

He s saying in that tweet that his ambition is independent of that.

I think what he is mainly highlighting here is the disproportionate way that even the prize money and financial rewards are swayed towards the Championship.

Under the new Sky TV deal I think that Championship sides will see their TV revenue double from £7 million in 2017 to £13 million in 2027.

For League One clubs this will grow from around £1.75 million to just over £2 million in the same timeframe.

While League Two clubs will change from around £1.5 million to around £1.75 million.

I think what this highlights is that it's a delicate balancing act because the higher you go the greater the disparity between the leagues and it will only get worse. Imagine having successive relegations as a small club and losing millions in income over two years despite having contracts to pay!

You have to be very prudent if you go up I think is the case!

Imagine having successive relegations as a small club and losing millions in income over two years despite having contracts to pay!

You have to be very prudent if you go up I think is the case!

I think that is exactly what he is alluding to. He is saying there is no financial benefit in getting promotion because the cost of being in the Championship (and the knock-on effect of those pesky contracts) renders it a pointless exercise for clubs of his size.

Bob Dorrian said he would need to find an extra million, were we to win promotion to League One last season. That must be compounded severely when stepping up to the Championship despite the seemingly large TV windfall. If you want to survive, that is.

What Accrington could do (hypothetically) is get promotion, take the TV money, and deliberately get relegated without spending any of it. That would ensure their financial future for years to come.

I think that is exactly what he is alluding to. He is saying there is no financial benefit in getting promotion because the cost of being in the Championship (and the knock-on effect of those pesky contracts) renders it a pointless exercise for clubs of his size.

Bob Dorrian said he would need to find an extra million, were we to win promotion to League One last season. That must be compounded severely when stepping up to the Championship despite the seemingly large TV windfall. If you want to survive, that is.

What Accrington could do (hypothetically) is get promotion, take the TV money, and deliberately get relegated without spending any of it. That would ensure their financial future for years to come.
I read something similar about promotion the PL. About how it’s only worth it if you go straight back down which really helped Burnley financially.

All sounds like footballing achievement is the main priority of the competitions. Oh wait, that was in days gone by. Football is like any other professional sport now and totally geared to money. How very bloody sad.

What purpose would deliberately getting relegated serve?

Back in Alexander’s year’s we may have been lucky to have lost in the play offs so we avoided the trap.

L1 would be our biggest challenge TV money does not go up enough to match wages and being as we are at about operating at max crowd levels.
We would need a Swann type investment every year to be able to compete at L1 levels.
Heard Oxford's wage bill last season was £3.6 million they did have 31 players which is far too many.

L1 would be our biggest challenge TV money does not go up enough to match wages and being as we are at about operating at max crowd levels.
We would need a Swann type investment every year to be able to compete at L1 levels.
Heard Oxford's wage bill last season was £3.6 million they did have 31 players which is far too many.

Would you be prepared to pay an extra £100 pounds (for arguements sake) if it could be guaranteed to go into the playing budget? If we could shift 6500 again that'd be a decent boost to the budget. It's a lot of money for most of us. Possibly too much to ask.

On top of that I suppose we'd be looking to Clive and his crew to help out and hoping the management could continue to add significant value.

It's certainly an interesting challenge if we're going to compete at the top end of league one. I'm sure we could hold our own with the likes of Rochdale, Wycombe, Walsall etc. To be challengers would take time, patience and creativity.

What do mean by "compete" at L1 level?

Surely the whole point of the Accy tweet is that financially they are better off in L1. "We will not lose money at that level"

Surely the whole point of the Accy tweet is that financially they are better off in L1. "We will not lose money at that level"

I think Holt means they will not lose money by spending £1.1m, but would if they spent more in an attempt to compete with the £3.6m average.

I mean you would have to significantly increase your playing budget to cover existing player wage rises & to get in new players.
Accy have a hard job to survive in L1 alone it’s another big step up.
Worst thing we could do is fool ourselves into thinking the club is awash with cash.
Everyone needs to realise in order to compete we have to spend.
In the last 2 years of the conference I raised £34 & £38k and that helped us get out of the conference but to complete in L1 we would need to significantly increase investment.
Perhaps £1 to £2 million otherwise you do an Accy and just survive.

Last edited by a moderator: