Interesting squad stats for L1 | Vital Football

Interesting squad stats for L1

OneSirKeefy

Vital Football Hero
Saw posted on twitter the squad size, number of players used and average age for L1 clubs.

We are pretty average for age at just over 25years. But take Baz Fuller out and we’d probably average in the teens 😁

Funnily enough, Southend are higher age than us which seems odd given the number of youth players in their team. Maybe they have a few “old lags” sitting on the outer.

Interesting ones though are with just 20 players in the squad we are the lowest number in the division. Next is Southend on 22 and the rest are 24 plus players. Most clubs have 26-30 players. Accy list 38 in the squad!!

And we’ve used just 24 different players this season which is 2nd lowest to Pompey (23). A lot of clubs have fielded more than 28 players this year, some between 30 and 40.

Personally I think the relatively small squad has made us better. Less does equal more as everyone knows their job and the management will have an easier job working with a motivated group.

Smallest squad and smallest playing budget - including the likes of Accrington. Just maybe Evans was telling the truth after all?

That's odd, this was posted in the "standards" thread.
"In truth, Evans is able to optimise his team's performances by dramatically expanding the size of the squad, giving greater competition for places- especially in midfield. This hence explains his disagreements with Scally over transfer funds and budgets. "

I'm confused ☹

That's odd, this was posted in the "standards" thread.
"In truth, Evans is able to optimise his team's performances by dramatically expanding the size of the squad, giving greater competition for places- especially in midfield. This hence explains his disagreements with Scally over transfer funds and budgets. "

I'm confused ☹

I think (maybe wrongly) that the poster meant that the number of players good enough for the 1st team has expanded. If so, I’d agree with that.

Every week our bench looks as strong, sometimes stronger than the guys starting.

Yesterday we had Akinde, Mandron, RCC, Pringle, Graham and Willock on the bench (plus Walsh). I think any one of those players could have started and the team would have been no worse, possibly better. Hasn’t been the case before in my watching.

That’s probably the benefit of having a smaller squad. We’d maybe have a lot less quality if we had a squad of 24 or more.

Rather have a smaller squad with a proper manager than having to endure the likes of Stuart Thurgood again. No disrespect to the player who was clearly out of his depth.

Rather have a smaller squad with a proper manager than having to endure the likes of Stuart Thurgood again. No disrespect to the player who was clearly out of his depth.
I was often impressed with Thurgood.................. in the pre-match kick about

This was really obvious at Burton where I bought a programme. On the back page where the squads were listed, ours was startlingly smaller than theirs!