Interesting bit of history... | Vital Football

Interesting bit of history...

This was featured on the news earlier. Fascinating story which has been lost in time. and to the best of my knowledge never mentioned in the recent past

I'm going to start the ball rolling with Ade Coker (1974) and see if anyone can take it back further.

Tony Cunningham 1979 was a first team regular I remember. Ade Coker on loan from West Ham was dreadful . Remember him missing from two feet, away at Swindon in the FA Cup 1975.

John Walker was almost certainly the first black player to appear for the Imps. He made six first team appearances in 1899-1900 and also played four times for the Midland League team. He had previously played for Leith Athletic and Hearts and he cost City a £25 transfer fee. He was recognised by contemporary sources as the first black player to appear in the Scottish League. He almost certainly fell ill with TB when he was at Lincoln and died very soon after returning to Scotland. He was born in Leith and his father was probably born in Port of Spain, Trinidad. I have attached a very grainy picture of him.

Attachments

• 1593679750542_LC Players (Walker).JPG
    1593679750542_LC Players (Walker).JPG
    11 KB · Views: 3