Ins and outs 2023/24 | Page 29 | Vital Football

Ins and outs 2023/24

18/04/24

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - Leam Richardson was planning to try to get Seb Revan's loan extended into next season. Not clear yet if RUFC's interest in the proposed loan will now continue.
May well be worth pursuing if Villa and more importantly Seb Revan fancy dropping down to League 1 and helping us out.
Quality player and a decent loan signing for us this season.

22/04/24

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - Steve Evans is exploring the possibility of bringing Alex Revell back to the NYS in a coaching capacity.

My comment - Possibly as the Academy coach ? ... and tell him to get his boots on! He would still be better than who we have up front now. :p

Last edited:
22/04/24

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - Steve Evans is exploring the possibility of bringing Alex Revell back to the NYS in a coaching capacity.

My comment - Possibly as the Academy coach ? ... and tell him to get his boots on! He would still be better than who we have up front now. :p
yes please !. I have watched a certain video that features him loads and loads of times.

22/04/24

Stevenage are hoping to keep him on as manager I understand.

24/04/24

Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - One-year contract extensions have been activated by RUFC for Rathbone and Odoffin. Steve Evans is now hoping to get them to sign longer deals.
the good news keeps on coming.
That’s the easy bit.
Difficult part will be to get both players to sign new deals.
Heres hoping, fingers crossed.

Craig, it's not good news but simply the activation of a contract provision. It might be good news if the two players agree to new contracts. Taylor or Richardson or my granny could have activated these extensions and it reflects nothing on either SE or TS.

Easy, maybe, but it is good news “whoever” has activated those clauses if you enjoy watching those two players, you can now continue to do so!
Obviously it had to be done to give all parties the time to discuss and consider future options. Let’s hope that things go well enough next season for them to want to re-sign.

Craig, it's not good news but simply the activation of a contract provision. It might be good news if the two players agree to new contracts. Taylor or Richardson or my granny could have activated these extensions and it reflects nothing on either SE or TS.
It’s to stop them walking away for free if any other clubs are interested in signing them.
Good move by the club although most people would have expected it.
As said by others it gives the club time to negotiate new deals.
The club needs a timeline on the decisions though rather than get to January and both players be able to negotiate a pre-contract with another club.

Hopefully both Ollie and Haks sign new deals.

It’s to stop them walking away for free if any other clubs are interested in signing them.
Good move by the club although most people would have expected it.
As said by others it gives the club time to negotiate new deals.
The club needs a timeline on the decisions though rather than get to January and both players be able to negotiate a pre-contract with another club.

Hopefully both Ollie and Haks sign new deals.
Good point. I remember PW's misplaced optimism on Smith and Icky. We lost them and Chieo for nothing. We failed to get the JL deal over the line and lost out on (rumoured) £450K due to wrangles over staging of payments.
My worry is that negotiations will drag on, Evans will decide they are too valuable to his promotion hopes to sell in January and we lose both for nothing next Summer. The abandonment of the restructuring with Head Coach and DOF back to Manager and HOR is imo a retrograde move probably engineered purely to satisfy Evans' demand to have the final say.

26/04/24

BACK NEXT WEEK (?) - Sounds like Joshua Kayode has played his last game for Carlisle U. Also Jake Hull - Buxton have completed their National League North fixtures.

Update - Steve Evans has told the Advertiser that he currently has no information on why Kayode is "unavailable" for Carlisle U.

Last edited:
Good point. I remember PW's misplaced optimism on Smith and Icky. We lost them and Chieo for nothing. We failed to get the JL deal over the line and lost out on (rumoured) £450K due to wrangles over staging of payments.
My worry is that negotiations will drag on, Evans will decide they are too valuable to his promotion hopes to sell in January and we lose both for nothing next Summer. The abandonment of the restructuring with Head Coach and DOF back to Manager and HOR is imo a retrograde move probably engineered purely to satisfy Evans' demand to have the final say.
IMO SE deserves to have the final say - he’s the one that get’s the backlash if the players don’t play well/aren’t good enough or don’t fit into the team!
RS never deserved his promotion anyway.

IMO SE deserves to have the final say - he’s the one that get’s the backlash if the players don’t play well/aren’t good enough or don’t fit into the team!
RS never deserved his promotion anyway.
Sixpence, it's all down to opinion. An increasing number of clubs are moving away from the old style manager to a structure of Head Coach and DOF. I have repeatedly stated why I support this for RUFC (while sharing your view on RS). It is because if you want a long term strategy for developing talent and a disciplined approach to transfers you find this is often incompatible with the wishes of a manager whose primary concern is to do well in a particular season. It leads to short-termism, a refusal to risk youngsters and a preference for (expensive) established talent. It means every time a manager moves on we are faced with the need to rebuild. RUFC have been down this road. We don't give promising youngsters a chance, we hold onto our better players and let them go for nothing and we sign old often injury prone players all because the manager is more concerned with results than the long-term health of a club when he probably won't be here long-term.
A few weeks ago the board recognised just this problem and introduced a new structure specifically to (in their words) ensure continuity of the strategic vision. They have now ditched this. In my view a big mistake.

Last edited:
I am probably old fashioned in my ideas but results will always be the driving force and anything that may be detrimental to that will not be popular imo.

The fact the “new vision” has been dropped so quickly makes me wonder if maybe the board were never wholeheartedly behind it??

I agree Lindum, your suggestions above are great in theory, but in practice I’m not sure there are many who are patient enough to see it through.