Indigestion pills and dementia | Vital Football

Indigestion pills and dementia

Juan Mourep

Vital 1st Team Regular
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/02/16/indigestion-drugs-containing-ppis-linked-to-dementia_n_9241962.html?ncid=webmail7

Researchers found that those who used proton pump inhibitor drugs (PPIs) at least once every three months were 44% more likely to develop dementia in later life than those who did not take the drugs.

PPIs are commonly found in heartburn tablets such as omeprazole and lansoprazole. They are often prescribed to treat issues such as acid reflux and stomach ulcers.

The drugs work by blocking the enzyme in the wall of the stomach that produces acid

As someone who has been on Omeprazole daily for at least three years, this raises concern, in my case I have to take them just so I can take my Ibuprofen and 30/500 co codamols which are my daily pain relief (ish) without feeling sick all day, looks like I need to re visit my med intake

Humph! I am also on them for stomach problems among other things! The universe better not have this in store for me. We been through this with my late Mom. I don't want my youngsters going through it with us. Shudders!

I will be speaking to my Dr when I have my 6 monthly meds check next week. I know what he will say though. Something along the lines of ''there's a risk with everything. For example crossing the road is a risk'' He would want to see more evidence I suspect or maybe not. Maybe there is a change he can make. Though he is right about you can't take out all risks for anything.

Cheers for the link Juan

Yes I am also seeing my Dr Tuesday too. Let us know what your Dr says please Juan please? I am interested to know

Been on Lansoprazole for years for acid and ulcer which are fantastic tbh tend not to take them everyday but probably too late to change now and I really don't fancy throat cancer which constant acid burns can cause but like I say been taking them years without any problems.
What's this thread about again?

I take pantoprazole every day, have done so since December last year. Dr. says I'm one of abiut 10% of the population that produces too much stomach acid for no diagnosable reason. If onecontinues with high stomach acide there isa very real risk of developing stomach and/or throat cancer so it really is a case of being stuch between a rock and a hard place. I think I'll take my chances with dementia as if I stop taking the medicine I'll not only risk future health problems (it seems I risk one or the other either way) I'll also have to live with considerable pain/discomfort instomach and throat. I used ranitidine for a year before going on to pantoprazole but it wasnt fully effective.

I find that if I consume lots of Bacon, Sausages, Sugar, Beer and Wine then I don't get any stomach problems. Therefore no need to take these types of medication.

:17: :17: :56: :56:

Indeed! You'll probably die from arteriosclerosis long before you'd be old enough for dementia anyway : )

I have taken lanzoprazole for many years. I create too much acid. I only take them when it's really bad. I sometimes wake up in middle of night having had a surge of acid into my mouth and taken it into my respiratory system and choked It's not nice.

I have been on these type of tablets for almost 40 years and have been taking omeprazole for the last 8. No wonder my missus reckons I'm going senile.