Independents view of why Sissoko.. | Vital Football

Independents view of why Sissoko..

Spursex

Alert Team
I simply clearly haven't seen enough of him at first hand; many seem far more convinced than I am and far more convinced then the barcode supporters are - so I thought this was an insightful article and well worth a read:

I hope they are dead right:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tottenham-transfer-news-why-mauricio-pochettino-has-decided-to-spend-30million-on-moussa-sissoko-a7219236.html

Tottenham transfer news: Why Mauricio Pochettino has decided to spend £30million on Moussa Sissoko

Spurs have been lacking pace in wide areas, and after missing out on Wilfried Zaha, Moussa Sissoko became the next big target to provide that

Jack Pitt-Brooke

Mauricio Pochettino had just seen his Tottenham side draw their second game of the season when he gave a clue to his dramatic deadline night move for Moussa Sissoko. Pochettino does not go into specifics much when discussing players or transfers, but in a corridor at White Hart Lane after Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Liverpool, he said what he would be looking for in the window’s final days.

“We need a player who is more direct, more aggressive offensively,” Pochettino revealed. “Because we have players like Eriksen, [Heung-Min] Son or Lamela who like the ball played into their feet. So we need someone who has characteristics like we saw from Liverpool, like Sadio Mané, the type of player that can break the defensive line. I'm not talking about kicking or punching someone, only running and having the right mentality.”

It was a fair assessment of a type of player that Spurs have been lacking. They are a team built on energy and dynamism, but they do not have much real pace. Harry Kane is a great athlete but is not the quickest, Christian Eriksen is more about speed of thought, and Erik Lamela is more of a scurrier than a sprinter.
Read more
Tottenham confirm N'Koudo signing after teasing their fans on Twitter

Dele Alli is the only man in the front four with real acceleration but even then Pochettino wanted more in his front line. Everton and Liverpool have smothered Spurs effectively already this season, in two 1-1 draws that Spurs wanted more from. Pace scares teams, and Pochettino knows that Spurs need more of it.

This is why Spurs bid £12million for Wilfried Zaha on Monday, because Pochettino knew that to give his team an extra edge they needed a player who could run in behind. Crystal Palace did not want to sell Zaha, though, but Spurs found on Wednesday evening that they could sign Sissoko, just for much more money. Georges-Kevin N'Koudou is a talented young winger from Marseille, but Sissoko is established and ready to go.

Sissoko may not be an obvious Pochettino player, given the worries about his application and consistency. But he proved at Euro 2016 that he can rise to the occasion, and it may well be that in a better environment, with a better coach and team-mates, that he would deliver more often. It takes some time to learn exactly what Pochettino demands, with and without the ball, and no-one can expect Sissoko to settle in at White Hart Lane instantly. Even for that money.

But when Sissoko does adjust to the unique requirements of Pochettino football, he will give Spurs pace and power down the right that they have lacked. Opponents will be less willing to squeeze up, knowing that Sissoko can break through their defence. This, in turn, will make more space for Eriksen and Lamela to create in. Spurs play the game fast, but they still needed one more fast player.

They have spent a record fee on Sissoko, and Pochettino hopes that their jigsaw is now complete.

We go in for an RM, get rejected, then spend a record fee on a CM who can play on the right.

Not convinced, this has Levy written all over it. Had Poch received 70m at the start of the window and not in installments Mane would have been here.

We were testing the waters with Palace & if the price had been right i believe we would have pounced for Zaha.

Regarding Sissoko well there was only one that i believe Poch would have bought ahead of him. Clearly Morgan Schneiderlin was an option but seeing as he was locked away in an underground basement somewhere the deal was extremely unlikely.

What's better?

Lasts season CM options

Dier
Dembele
Mason
Carroll

Or

This seasons options

Dier
Dembele
Wanyama
Sissoko

Complete waste of money.As Pollo has just put why sign cm to do a right or left midfielders job.Why not just sign a pacey winger.Oh wait thats what we have done but in Nkoudo this season and last season we signed Njie and Son to do the same job.If i am honest i don't believe Poch knows what he wants.Sissoko adds pace but not much else.He has shown himself to be lacking when the going gets tough.He and his agent are underhanded how they played Everton against us to get the transfer they wanted is wrong.Sissoko then showed himself to be spineless when he refused to even answer his phone when Koeman called.I am gutted to be this down after a transfer window but i have seen nothing in this window to be happy about.Sissoko's fee will mean Poch will be under pressure to play him and i don't see where he fits.Does he drop Dembele or Dier and play Victor and Sissoko together.But Sissoko is not a cdm does not have the right discipline.Playing him further forward which mean dropping either Lamela ,Eriksen or Ali but he is not as big a goal threat as any of these players.If am being honest the only position he can play is cm.He is box to box but not much else.Though i feel sick saying this i agree with Merson,Sissoko is not a 30 mill player he is a panic buy

KS, you need to stop spamming with that copy pasted message. If you have nothing new to contribute its perfectly fine to not post anything.

King Spur - 1/9/2016 10:38

I'm waiting for some moron to say last season. Surely there can't be anyone out there?

Ill bite

Dembele and Dier are the same, so that is fine -

Victor is needed and an upgrade, so fine.

But how can you say Sissoko is an upgrade yet? he is a massive gamble.

I don't rate Mason, I think he is a lower PL player, but at least he was an honest pro who put 100% in.

Can you say that about Sissoko looking at his history - he spent the past 12 months bitching and moaning.

Sissoko is a vastly better option than Zaha.. VASTLY... he can do what zaha would provide as a WF with pace and he can also back up dembele which zaha cannot.. 25M for a one trick pony.. no...

I believe Sissoko was not only a revelation to the world but also to himself.. he saw first hand with better players and application what he can achieve.. which is why his demands this summer is to play for a champions league team. his star was shining at the euros and he is determine to keep it that way.. which is the only way he stays that prominent figure in the french team. that can't happen without application here at spurs

those with massive doubt are entitled to that as he has open the door to allow such but Spurs is a different outfit to Newcastle, which quite frankly were rotten all over... Sissoko knows the ethos of a Poch team and he fought to be here... he could have easily been somewhere else

alpine74 - 1/9/2016 10:44

Sissoko is a vastly better option than Zaha.. VASTLY... he can do what zaha would provide as a WF with pace and he can also back up dembele which zaha cannot.. 25M for a one trick pony.. no...

I believe Sissoko was not only a revelation to the world but also to himself.. he saw first hand with better players and application what he can achieve.. which is why his demands this summer is to play for a champions league team. his star was shining at the euros and he is determine to keep it that way.. which is the only way he stays that prominent figure in the french team. that can't happen without application here at spurs

those with massive doubt are entitled to that as he has open the door to allow such but Spurs is a different outfit to Newcastle, which quite frankly were rotten all over... Sissoko knows the ethos of a Poch team and he fought to be here... he could have easily been somewhere else

Okay, agreed there is some hope involved, but I agree with this. In a way, his performances for France highlight even more the mess at Newcastle. I know we all obviously are not privy to what goes on behind closed doors at clubs, and so on, but I can't be the only Spurs fan who has wondered over the seasons and discussed with friends, how come Newcastle perform so badly, given home gates of 50,000 plus.

whiteghost - 1/9/2016 08:19

So why didn't we offer say £25 million for Zaha?

Does it matter ? Just glad it was rejected - of course, if it's true.

Pollo - 1/9/2016 08:22

We go in for an RM, get rejected, then spend a record fee on a CM who can play on the right.

Not convinced, this has Levy written all over it. Had Poch received 70m at the start of the window and not in installments Mane would have been here.

People like perryman said he backed the manager. Yeah he did but like you said who else could we have gotten if levy decided to give all this money earlier. Hands were tied it looks like and sissoko was the best we could do on deadline day as we knew that ashley wanted rid. It was an easy option and we only decided to buy and pay 30m because everton came in.

Taricco the yid - 1/9/2016 13:56

Pollo - 1/9/2016 08:22

People like perryman said he backed the manager. Yeah he did but like you said who else could we have gotten if levy decided to give all this money earlier. Hands were tied it looks like and sissoko was the best we could do on deadline day as we knew that ashley wanted rid. It was an easy option and we only decided to buy and pay 30m because everton came in.

Not quite accurate. Sissoko's agent contacted Everton...and then when Everton had agreed Newcastle and the agents demands - Sissoko went on the missing list.

It seems they used a well used ruse to force our hands and cough up what Newcastle were demanding..

King Spur - 1/9/2016 10:38

I'm waiting for some moron to say last season. Surely there can't be anyone out there?
It's been explained several times that you are missing the point. We get it you like the signing, but stop spamming. The forum is bad enough these days without people copying % pasting the same posts repeatedly.

"Spurs have been lacking pace in wide areas, and after missing out on Wilfried Zaha, Moussa Sissoko became the next big target to provide that"

Can't say I've watched much of him, but it does seem people(and from what I've seen of him) describe him more as an athletic midfielder than a pacy winger. He certainly seems more of a midfielder that would start from deeper areas rather than do the business in the final third. His Euro performances could be easily summed as "pacy, powerful player who does well to get into good positions, but repeatedly fluffs his lines due lack of end product".

So certainly not a winger, or somebody who would be more called an AM bordering on wide forward. Players such as Zaha or Mane would be.

Which brings me onto my point. Poch obviously wanted a wide attacking player with pace and so we were willing to spend big money to get it. He said so himself about Mane, and rightly or wrongly we were interested in Zaha and you could say the same things about Berahino last year.

So do we honestly think Sissoko is comparable to Zaha/Mane/Berahino? Certainly he doesn't look that way to me. I hope I'm wrong but he seems to lack that attacking guile to be a threat in those areas the same way that the likes of Martials are.

Seems a strange one to me, this Sissoko purchase. Spent a shed load on a hugely risky on/off player, going entirely against this notion that our policy is don't spend big, and buy young.

Has panic buy written all over it. If we played on the counter then I could see him fitting, but we don't get a lot of space with all the high-press stuff. Seems a lot better fit to Koemans style than Pork'y's.

Does anyone think he is our new Adebeyor?

Well in the sense that we can see he has great talent, but that he can look decidedly uninterested a lot of the time and only turns his game on when it suits him. He has falttered to deceive throughout his career.