Imps vs 💤💤💤 | Page 5 | Vital Football

Imps vs 💤💤💤

That was one of the best performances this year. The ball was played with purpose, space was utilised and there was a lot of movement off the ball. Far too often we've been caught with players holding the ball and only being able to pass to someone static and with their back to goal. Not saying it will all click and be smooth from here on in, but I think that is a sign of what we've been aiming for all year
I've said similar on one of the Wigan facebook pages.

Big difference yesterday was forward intent...yes we passed around a lot but most of it wasn't aimless. Lincoln were on a great run but we made them look like mugs 1st half chasing shadows. If we believe like this we can beat anybody in this division. Excellent performance and we have it in us.

Well after sleeping on it...still feel that was one of better games n almost up there with the Bolton away & Carlisle 1st half. Moving forward with intent and a bit of speed. Decent defending at time & my only criticism was the defending of their goal....should have been closed down & Tickle could have done better. Good combo at the back with Kerr & Hughes which would imo be a good partnership next season with Kerr as captain allowing Hughes to concentrate on his game. Matt & Johnny both having a good game....big 👏👏👏👏 to the decent vocal away support.....more of the same next Saturday please SM

First visit to Lincoln. A lovely place. LA much better performance today, much much better. Helped playing a back four and whilst we looked a little vulnerable on the transition the extra attacking opportunities more than compensated. Ball still getting played across the back but seemed to be done with more conviction. Goal kicks much better too as tickle knocked it long more meaning the team was pushed up the field rather over half it on our 18 yard line or less.

Not seen the goals back yet but the Hughes volley was worth the entrance fee and a reminder why I go and watch the bloody game.

Another five substitutions today. I’m not normally near the dug outs but was relatively close today where I was. Several players not happy coming off with Kerr in particular openly questioning Maloney why he was being substituted. Godo seemed to do similar and mate said Kelman did the same. Seems the players aren’t happy with this constant changing.

Maloney has clarified the reason for Kerr coming off as a back injury that Kerr was trying to play through.

As far as the others go, Godo was having a poor game and lost the ball on a number of occasions leading to their counter attacks.

Kelman was given a decent run but failed to make any impact.

To be honest I would expect any player to be disgruntled at being substituted, no one likes to be hooked, but I don't think this is anything to do with the number of substitutes being made I think it is simply that they are annoyed with their own performances leading up to the substitution in most cases.

It was brought in to benefit the likes of Liverpool, City et al when they're losing against the likes of Brentford or Luton.

I though it was brought in in the EFL during covid as a precaution against player burn out.

From an article in the Mirror:

"The rule had originally been used during the Project Restart return to football for the final rounds of the 2019/2020 season, which was heavily delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic".

I though it was brought in in the EFL during covid as a precaution against player burn out.

From an article in the Mirror:

"The rule had originally been used during the Project Restart return to football for the final rounds of the 2019/2020 season, which was heavily delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic".
I'm just joking in all honesty TB. But the likes of city, Liverpool can replace quality with quality, whereas Brentford, Luton can't.

Maloney has clarified the reason for Kerr coming off as a back injury that Kerr was trying to play through.

As far as the others go, Godo was having a poor game and lost the ball on a number of occasions leading to their counter attacks.

Kelman was given a decent run but failed to make any impact.

To be honest I would expect any player to be disgruntled at being substituted, no one likes to be hooked, but I don't think this is anything to do with the number of substitutes being made I think it is simply that they are annoyed with their own performances leading up to the substitution in most cases.

Kerr was definitely not happy, he certainly wasn’t complaining of any back injury so I’ll go with the player on this one.

We seem to make the full compliment of changes every week. Much of the time it isn’t warranted and I feel changes are being made for changes sake.

Played well, good win, well done.

I've been saying for months we have a team in there somewhere.

Why haven't we been playing like that all the time? Tinkerbell trying to be too bloody clever.

Still not happy with all the substitutions just for the sake of it!
As someone said above, Gregor Rioch shed some light on this in the commentary. All the players wear those monitors that give real-time data to the bench about performance levels. We don't see it with our eyes but the monitors show when a player is beginning to struggle with yards covered, drop off in pace because of this etc. A lot of substitutions nowadays are made off the back of these performance statistics. Every player tires in a game, it's not always possible to see this with the naked eye, and if the rule says that you can have five subs, why not ensure that as the game comes to a close you have as many players on the pitch who have a near "full tank" to get you over the line? If we had lost that game and Maloney had made no subs there would be folk on here questioning why he didn't - so as a manager he cannot really win!

Last edited:
What an absolute pearler. Every little part of this move was perfect, and to cap it off, when the goal went in, we had 6 players inside their box, and that doesn't include Jonny Smith, whose shot was from outside.

Team formation (1 up top) means bugger all ... it's how you play, and yesterday was the bar for next season.

And he sought out Magennis to celebrate with.
Interesting.