Immigration | Page 3 | Vital Football

Immigration

It's a question I'm asking myself. The UK is in a productivity crisis and has been since 2008, as a result salaries when adjusted for inflation have not really grown much at all. Other countries have seen significantly more growth. On the other hand, the cost of things has risen significantly, especially property. It's almost unbearable.

I'm very far from badly paid but given my experience and profession I would be making way more in US for instance. So I do wonder what the fuck I'm doing here.
My advice would be do it before your on your death bed with regrets.

It's not always about the money either. But cost of living in certain countries while doing a professional job is the difference between surviving and living.

From my position now. I honestly don't know why people live and work in the UK. I don't get it. I wish I had not ever been with the X and had moved here a lot earlier.

In the UK a massive percentage of my salary went on bills. Here 25% goes on bills. The rest is money to enjoy/save for holidays. That's a massive massive difference.

At work, it's things like having free breakfast and lunches. So all I have to do is get a small snack on the evening which costs about £2. The school pay me to eat. That just doesn't happen any more in the UK.

I actually have nightmares about being in the UK. I miss my mom and dad obviously and feel guilty for leaving them behind. But if I stayed in th UK long term I would destroy myself (again).

I cannot say Switzerland is cheap, it's quite tricky for money here in that it disappears very fast. However it is possible to have a good quality of life at an ok price if you're careful, which I wasn't for a long time haha. Free lunches, cheap food, lots of discretionary money to spend. That needs to be exported back to the western world please.

Haven't been to the UK in so long I don't know what it's really like, though when I was challenged on entering with a UK passport the last time I stopped going. This was after getting used to being asked a few questions about money every time I left because of my destination. And though I don't have the same complication about parents I do think good ones don't want us to destroy ourselves.

If i didn't have a wife , children and 2 dogs and my mom down the road , plus my job, i would move to Thailand next week. Love the people food climate and scenery .
I love Switzerland too probably my favourite Euro country but yes very expensive, but the air is so fresh and i love the mountains .
But for now i will stay here and not complain (too much).

My advice would be do it before your on your death bed with regrets.
I haven't done anything like you, and others on here, but your advice is spot on. We only moved two hundred and fifty miles to Cornwall but we left all family and Cornwall feels like a different country, and the Cornish firmly believe it is. We had talked about it for years, but you just have to do it and if you fuck up you go somewhere else. Anyone thinking of going anywhere, seize the day and go.

I haven't done anything like you, and others on here, but your advice is spot on. We only moved two hundred and fifty miles to Cornwall but we left all family and Cornwall feels like a different country, and the Cornish firmly believe it is. We had talked about it for years, but you just have to do it and if you fuck up you go somewhere else. Anyone thinking of going anywhere, seize the day and go.

Knew it, you with your dutch boats and your lassez faire attitude to "going anywhere". You're a people smuggler aren't you? :lol:

Though the joke is really on me as my own birth country is a foreign country in my eyes.

20 years later... if the debate is the same then I am bored of it hahaha.*

"Goodness, this is so similar to the debate we're having now," said Dr Peter Walsh of the Migration Observatory when he read the advisers' paper.

*which is why I didn't post it in the UK Politics thread LOL....

A bittersweet little story featuring your truly....