Imagery and a sad event | Vital Football

Imagery and a sad event

lewis1980

Vital Squad Member
It's a weird thing to post but I thought I would anyway.

Not long a go I was travelling back from London on the train. I was seriously delayed on the way. We stopped for ages due to "an incident".

After a while, the train driver announced that we were delayed because someone was on the track and wouldn't move, the police had been called to remove the man. Evidently he was trying to commit suicide.

My mind wondered and I was thinking about that man standing on the tracks. Not really a suicide attempt but a call for help. He'd have jumped in front of the moving train if he had really wanted to die.

I had weird imagery in my mind, I saw Tiananmen Square, you know, the picture with the man who stopped the tanks.

The train or the tank representing life and wanting to stop it or slow it down. Life moving too fast and constantly rolling by.

Needing to take extreme action and putting himself at risk of serious harm just to take a break from life. He'd just had enough.

Sad really.i don't know why I pictured that photo but I prefer to think of it that way. As a protest against the cold way in which life just never stops to let us take a rest and catch up.

I still think about that sometimes and wonder what happened to that man.

I don't know what happened to that bloke, but I think that image is frozen into all of us - certainly those of a certain age.

All I know is you type tia into google and you get the result that matters in their suggestions, which I find amazing but also gives hope so that many are clearly - all these years on - still struck and interested.

You can't compare the two, but I do get why you have in terms of 'speed' and 'slow'.

Just a shame so many in the present don't heed the lessons of the past.

No I wasn't thinking the two event had any relation, I don't think I was anyway.

It was just the image I had in my head when I heard why we were delayed.

I just thought it weird that that was the image I had and I guess I was trying to make sense of why

The train or the tank representing life and wanting to stop it or slow it down. Life moving too fast and constantly rolling by.

Was just commenting on that in terms of relation, hence the comment of understanding why you did because the events aren't comparable but the state of mind of the individual could be.

Without being pathetic, the Matrix scene of Neo just saying 'stop' as the bullets fly I think applies to both but for clearly wildly different reasons.

If that clears that one up lol

The motivation is different but the end result is the same in some ways - take a step back/enough/breath/reassess etc

There's a lot more to you than your 202 posts so far have indicated aren't their lad! (that's a compliment! and I don't mean you spoke shite either lol)

The simple answer for why is empathy in the fact you were mentally in the mood to try and put yourself in his position rather than think 'why is this git wasting my time' and you removed the annoyance, anger, disruption from it all and just thought mainly - why would he do that.

It's a cry for help, it's a cry for validation and it's a cry that doesn't come from right thinking but anybody can find themselves there.

As you say, a real intent, you jump within 10 metres, you don't sit.

He'll never know, but in some ways if that was your reaction it's a shame he won't know, because your reaction was understanding and linked to a similar in some ways 'why not' in Tianamen - what have I got to lose etc.

Futility of life, futility of fight, maybe the futility is lost if you invite it and then give the other side the opportunity to change course themselves in a way that gives you renewed hope - rather than just rolling on?

Or put another way, if you want to affect change and are resigned to no change because you are worthless.

Is there no better way to test that and/or make your last act a telling one by giving others the opportunity to to alter their own fates in an effort to show it's not your time.

Not that I'm advocating that principle!

But think it applies very much to Tianamen, the more recent dousings etc.

Yes you are right of course, I wasn't annoyed by it at all. Some were but not me.

I don't think I'm an overly sentimental person, probably selfish to a degree and can be unsympathetic but at that point I was none of those things and still think about it occasionally.

You make perfect sense

Nobody has ever said that before, therefore I conclude you are mental! :10:

Been there myself on annoyance when you get delayed, a few years back a day trip with the family to Wales (Barmouth) only route out stuck for an hour and everyone was getting peeved...old man when he got the chance asked a motorcycle copper what was going on and we were told some poor sod on a bike had lost control and had died, and the mood changed entirely.

Easy to get wrapped up in the minute and yourself without thinking of the larger picture.

Many months ago the chap who stood on the bridge over Queensway I think it was...fucktards there calling for him to jump etc because it was funny and the comments on here were brilliant pointing out those shouting for him to jump would do the planet a favour by getting up there and setting an example themselves.

It's a sad result of the instant society we live in where seconds count because somebody has to check Facebook, or some twat thinks they lose a million if they 'aren't confident' over a stock option and the rest.

Be nice if we could rewire and be caring - but that doesn't apply to Tony Bliar and his ilk - I'm not that soft.

You're the same as everybody else mate, I wouldn't analyse it further...we're all selfish, unsympathic but the difference is people who should breed are capable of not being selfish and capable of being sympathetic.

Mainly because we live in hope at those moments that we are never in the position where our brain is that fried that sitting in front of a tank seems like a good idea, or standing on a bridge is the only answer.

So we maybe appreciate the little things more, rather than what society says we should value.

Yes, there aren't many times people find time to just STOP. Or stop and think. Some things just pull you up though don't they.

Interesting post that, I shall ponder.

Of course, he could have just been a pillock! :12: