"I'm a 4-3-3 man but people want to see two people upfront" | Page 2 | Vital Football

"I'm a 4-3-3 man but people want to see two people upfront"

Ultimately I'd want to see him have the conviction to do things in the way that he believes in and thinks will be successful rather than be cowed into making compromised choices by other voices, whether it be fans, players or owners.

Winner.

And you'd like to think the club would back him too.

Not sure what "culture" SC is referring to but he should be allowed and strong enough to do it his way, whichever way that is.

I hope he's not referring to interference from 'upstairs', given the options SC has been given as the two strikers at his disposal.
As reported (today) in Kentonline, the following sounds like the culture to which SC was alluding:

I am hugely frustrated and I know we should have more points on the board but I know we are doing the right things on the training ground, I know we are creating more which is what I promised my owners when I came into the football club.

I had an understanding of what I am here to do, I didn’t promise that I would make us play like Manchester City or Liverpool, but I did believe I could get us to create more chances and I think I have stuck to my word on that.

But when the chances come you can’t put the ball in the back of the net for people, you have to make the keeper work at least, we haven’t been good enough at that.

----------------------------------

I had an understanding of what I am here to do, I didn’t promise that I would make us play like Manchester City or Liverpool, but I did believe I could get us to create more chances and I think I have stuck to my word on that.

I had a look at the numbers broadly to see whether this is the case or just wishful thinking. For me, the eye test shows us having more attacking threat when I've seen us, but perhaps not the revolution we need.

Clemence took over in November and had his first game against Salford.

Before his arrival, we averaged 11.3 shots per game, with 3.8 shots on target.
After his arrival (23 league games) we now average 13.4 shots per game, with 3.7 on target. A slight upward trend in chance creation, which confirms his view.

Interestingly, our G/PG number has actually dipped slightly, from 0.97 to 0.87 during that span.

For reference, Mansfield lead L2 with an average of 18.2 shots per game, with Harrogate the lowest at 9.79, placing Gills around the centre of the pack in shots per 90. Probably not going to get you promotion unless your strike force is clinical, but certainly not likely to make you the lowest scorers in the table (36 in 38 games is pretty dismal)

What I do find interesting:
* Gillingham have the second lowest shots on target % in the league (30.2%) suggesting that the shots we take aren't good enough.

* Our goals per shot are 0.07 which is joint lowest in L2, as is our goals per shot on target, at 0.23.

This would all suggest that while we can create chances and have improved this slightly under Clem, we're still not good at a) getting them on target consistently and b) when we do, they're not good enough to go in.

I feel for the guy. Ultimately we need better forwards and yes, at the risk of sounding like a record stuck in a groove, that's on our recruitment department

Last edited:
What I do find interesting:
* Gillingham have the second lowest shots on target % in the league (30.2%) suggesting that the shots we take aren't good enough.
* Our goals per shot are 0.07 which is joint lowest in L2, as is our goals per shot on target, at 0.23.
This would all suggest that while we can create chances and have improved this slightly under Clem, we're still not good at a) getting them on target consistently and b) when we do, they're not good enough to go in.
I feel for the guy. Ultimately we need better forwards and yes, at the risk of sounding like a record stuck in a groove, that's on our recruitment department
I think what his owners actually wanted was more exciting football and you can see that he is providing that, judging by last Saturday. The games are clearly more open and entertaining in general.

However, the goal we conceded last Saturday involved a player running centrally through our midfield before having time to play a pass to another player running centrally between our two centre backs before scoring with relative ease. By opening up those things are going happen and it nearly occurred again in the first half but Morris made a save.

We therefore don't just have to score the odd additional goal but also enough to win after conceding, often to lowly sides like Tranmere and Grimsby at home. That's the new reality.

I think what his owners actually wanted was more exciting football and you can see that he is providing that, judging by last Saturday. The games are clearly more open and entertaining in general.

However, the goal we conceded last Saturday involved a player running centrally through our midfield before having time to play a pass to another player running centrally between our two centre backs before scoring with relative ease. By opening up those things are going happen and it nearly occurred again in the first half but Morris made a save.

We therefore don't just have to score the odd additional goal but also enough to win after conceding, often to lowly sides like Tranmere and Grimsby at home. That's the new reality.

Yes, I have to give him and RS their due - we do look more willing to go forward. That's a good thing!

I don't think people care what the formation is as long it results in exciting, attacking football. That means balls in the box and shots on target. We've bene lacking that for a few years. Clemence has improved the balls in the box but not really shots on targets / goals.

Its all down to the "type" of striker we have. They play with the back to the goal. With the exception of Mahoney, who does look to turn and go forward when he receives the ball, the likes of Hawkins will hold it up and lay it off. That's fine IF there was someone running on for him to lay it off to.

This isn't a dig at Hawkins, his game is not to turn and run at defenders. Its the fact we don't have that type of striker. Given that we really need the MF to get up there an play that role. Lapslie can and Jonny W should be able to do it. They need to do it more.

We simply MUST sign the striker(s) with pace or next season will be much the same.