Ike Orji from Chatham Town???? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Ike Orji from Chatham Town????

Good luck to the lad.
He’s been given his chance and I hope he takes it.
He’s obviously miles off first team football at the moment but training and being surrounded by experienced pros will definitely improve his game.
He’s clearly one for the future which is exactly what Harris said he wanted.
With the support and coaching that we offer, the rest is up to him.
I hope he doesn’t blow it.
Can I just totally agree and support with your excellent post.Looking forward to seeing the lad.

Can I just totally agree and support with your excellent post.Looking forward to seeing the lad.

Kieth Peacock used sign plyers from non league that did well for us. Cascarino was the obvious stand out but there was Dave Smith, who I thought was excellent and Mark Byrne. There was Phil Shinners, who according to Cascarino's book was much older than the age he disclosed when we signed him.

Kieth Peacock used sign plyers from non league that did well for us. Cascarino was the obvious stand out but there was Dave Smith, who I thought was excellent and Mark Byrne. There was Phil Shinners, who according to Cascarino's book was much older than the age he disclosed when we signed him.
Paul Shinners not Phil .Somewhat odd Wikipedia not sure if it is true so I won't post a link.
I read Cascarino's book too well recommended definitely.

Paul Shinners not Phil .Somewhat odd Wikipedia not sure if it is true so I won't post a link.
I read Cascarino's book too well recommended definitely.

Wow, Mr Shinners work in Uganda, looks rather interesting. what ever happened to ex pros retiring to run pubs or become to post men?

I wondering if something more can be read into the naming of Priestfield Stadium in relation to Paul Shinners and Gavin Peacocks activities after football? :yes:

Wow, Mr Shinners work in Uganda, looks rather interesting. what ever happened to ex pros retiring to run pubs or become to post men?

According to Wikipedia, he runs a cafe

After selling dance machines to schools in conjunction with Pulse Fitness, Shinners now runs a café and Christian bookshop in St Neots, Cambridgeshire under the umbrella of his "Passion for Souls Ministries" charity. He has made frequent trips to Africa (particularly Uganda) over the last decade as an Evangelical preacher.

Also according to Wikipedia:

Paul Shinners (born 8 January 1959) is a preacher, exorcist, proponent of the Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Act and former footballer who played as a forward in the Football League for Gillingham, Colchester United and Leyton Orient.

Blimey, that's quite the CV he's got there :oops:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Shinners

I wondering if something more can be read into the naming of Priestfield Stadium in relation to Paul Shinners and Gavin Peacocks activities after football? :yes:
Gavin like Keith is a devoted Christian. Who sensibly moved to Canada so his football fame didn't influence his faith or congregation.I think you can safely say that Gavin like his Dad are good people.
I don't know anything about Paul so I can't comment on his faith or otherwise. Other than seeing him in the odd game and Cascarino's comments.Sorry Wikipedia is so open to abuse especially with people like 80s lower division footballers.
If he is a Christian and had done work in Africa then he sounds like a good man.
There are many Christian players even today.i believe we have at least one currently in our team.

Sorry Wikipedia is so open to abuse especially with people like 80s lower division footballers.
If he is a Christian and had done work in Africa then he sounds like a good man.

It's true that anyone can edit Wikipedia articles and put whatever they want, but his Wikipedia page has links to some videos of him, Chris. Assuming the person in the videos is genuinely him (I'd have no idea if it is or not, to be fair) then the "preacher" and "proponent of the Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Act" bits would appear to be true.

It's true that anyone can edit Wikipedia articles and put whatever they want, but his Wikipedia page has links to some videos of him, Chris. Assuming the person in the videos is genuinely him (I'd have no idea if it is or not, to be fair) then the "preacher" and "proponent of the Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Act" bits would appear to be true.
I didn't look at the videos.i will do at some point. I am not getting WiFi at present so I will resist the temptation to take a look. Definitely one I will investigate though.

Gavin like Keith is a devoted Christian. Who sensibly moved to Canada so his football fame didn't influence his faith or congregation.I think you can safely say that Gavin like his Dad are good people.
I don't know anything about Paul so I can't comment on his faith or otherwise. Other than seeing him in the odd game and Cascarino's comments.Sorry Wikipedia is so open to abuse especially with people like 80s lower division footballers.
There are many Christian players even today.i believe we have at least one currently in our team.
On a tangent I also remember a story of a former Bristol Rovers (Exec crew or something) who got acid to the face one game in the 90s at Priestfield and is now deeply religious.

It was David Byrne not Mark. Signed from Kingstonian but did nothing for us. Went on to shine at Millwall with Cas and Sheringham.

Shinners didn't get much of a chance for us, mainly cos Cas and Shakey were the best strike force we've ever had! Did well at Orient after

It was David Byrne not Mark. Signed from Kingstonian but did nothing for us. Went on to shine at Millwall with Cas and Sheringham.

Shinners didn't get much of a chance for us, mainly cos Cas and Shakey were the best strike force we've ever had! Did well at Orient after

David Byrne went on to wonders with Talking Heads, although his mazzy runs always appeared to be a "Road to Nowhere"

Saw him play for Chatham against Punjab United in that lockdown cup they held during the pandemic! He come on in the second half when Chatham were 3-2 down and he played more as an attacking player due to the state of the game! Very quick and powerful! Once Chatham equalised he went back to being a full back with a free licence to bomb up the touch line! Got a brilliant cross on him! He was 16 at the time when Scott Lindsey gave him his debut!
Hmm. Scott Lindsey, now Crawley manager