#IFELLINLOVE | Page 3 | Vital Football

#IFELLINLOVE

My first two games when I was 12 were in Spring 1969, with Tom a school mate, the games were Barrow and Southport. Standing close to the front, I was amazed by the physicality of the tackles, (even though I played rugby).

My Dad wouldn't take me until I had visited on my own, even though he was a supporter in the Southern League days (avoiding accusations of child abuse?).

I think my commitment moment was the atmosphere at a night time game in the Autumn of 1969 standing with my Dad in the little sunken box in front of the Main Stand, we played Stockport and their goalie, (either Alan Ogley or Ken Mulhearn I forget which), was amazing he saved everything and looked better than Gordon Banks against Pele in the World Cup.

I also remember Mel Machin's greasy thighs glinting in the floodlights, weird!
I clearly remember that Stockport game. We were desperately fighting against relegation. They were already relegatedl with about 8 games to go. They became the lowest ever scorers in a 46 match season that year. Yes, of course, they got the double over us.

We massacred them and managed to lose 2 0 ffs!!!

Goalie had the match of his life. Remarkable performance. We then went unbeaten to the end of the season and stayed up by winning away to Champions Orient in our last match.

Edit: checked on Gills scrapbook. Yes, Alan Ogley. Newspaper said the scoreline was a "farce" and ended assuming we'd be relegated to the "wastelands" of football. We were, the next season.

A third of Stockport's wins and more than 10% of their goals, 3, that season were v us.
:(

Last edited:
1st match, for me, was in 1963. I can't remember who it was against .....
In 1968, I visited Paris for the first time, just after the "student riots"...
1709378930449.jpeg

Last edited:
Easter 1975 at home to Plymouth Argyle. Arrived late in the Rainham End and assumed that Gillingham played in green because the vast majority of fans were wearing that colour. Two early goals from Yeo were answered with two goals from Argyle. Have a feeling that. Billy Rafferty was their main man. Mass fight at the end of the game as Gills fan run across the pitch. I was twelve and hooked for life. Wouldn't have it any other way.

1/1/66
Beat Swine 1 0.
Miller, Town End.
I was with eldest brother and grandad at Town End, Main Stand side. Could just about see over the wall.

48 years ago if anyone like me goes back to around 1976 maybe we can sort out something in the factory for those who like me started to love the club under Gerry Summers.
He is 90 now so perhaps he is one of the oldest club legends.
Bringing some of that team back to Priestfield for a celebration of those days would be fantastic.
78/79 got me hooked as a young boy. First game was pre-season against West Ham the following season

My memory is obviously far better than nibbles so I'll remind him that he FIL in 1992 watching us beat Man Utd in a Buster Collins' Testimonial match.

Not my IFELLINLOVE moment but the moment I knew I was stuck with the wrong team for life was May 2005 in the away end at Notts Forrest and a certain lad called Eugen Bop came on (for forest) when we was 2-1 up (We needed to win to stay up I believe) and he came on to a chorus of Blue Boys saying "WHO" well he certainly showed us who he was when he scored and sent us down

Late 70s with my dad and sometimes a mate as a nipper. Then just going with a mate into the family stand. But my first season in the Rainham end with a few more mates was the Swindon Play Off Season and that got me proper hooked.

Probaly why I am one of the few that want to maintain the faux rivalry!

Not my IFELLINLOVE moment but the moment I knew I was stuck with the wrong team for life was May 2005 in the away end at Notts Forrest and a certain lad called Eugen Bop came on (for forest) when we was 2-1 up (We needed to win to stay up I believe) and he came on to a chorus of Blue Boys saying "WHO" well he certainly showed us who he was when he scored and sent us down
Yep. It was only mathematically possible we could go down rather than probable.
Every single result went against us and Mr Bop sealed our fate.

Yep. It was only mathematically possible we could go down rather than probable.
Every single result went against us and Mr Bop sealed our fate.
ahh, the day a brave gills team with magnificent fans stood together at the end as one. PS, Saunders and the mighty Hess joined us as in solidarity. Beaten but still together.

Notably missing were the manager and his assistant ronnie and stan, two absolute cnts of the highest order.
Hess was back and pacing the side hoping to get into the fray to save us. Oh no Stan couldnt have that, what if hess saved us and diminished stans part in it. Id rather have gone down under hess.

I think Lsb2 was still blaming our keeper for their second goal lol.

ahh, the day a brave gills team with magnificent fans stood together at the end as one. PS, Saunders and the mighty Hess joined us as in solidarity. Beaten but still together.

Notably missing were the manager and his assistant ronnie and stan, two absolute cnts of the highest order.
Hess was back and pacing the side hoping to get into the fray to save us. Oh no Stan couldnt have that, what if hess saved us and diminished stans part in it. Id rather have gone down under hess.

I think Lsb2 was still blaming our keeper for their second goal lol.
As someone living in Notts, I lost a lot of respect for the Forest fans that day. They way they celebrated when they realised the results had conspired to send us down was pretty unpleasant. It's hardly as if we're their deadly rivals.

As someone living in Notts, I lost a lot of respect for the Forest fans that day. They way they celebrated when they realised the results had conspired to send us down was pretty unpleasant. It's hardly as if we're their deadly rivals.

The fact that they, former European Champions, had already been relegated and were mocking the likes us...classless.

I unashamedly howled all the way out of the away end and across Trent Bridge, apart from the safe arrival of the Juniors, it was the last time I shed a tear. Sad, eh?

Also can anyone else corroborate this story as im so sure it used to happen but no1 i speak to remembers it. I would swear on anything Scally used to come and sit at the top of the rainham end with his (celebrity) pals of the time and watch abit of the game. I remember when we played torquay and he was up there with Helen Chamberlain and also I remember seeing him up there with others. Does anyone remember this or have i officially dreamt it

Also can anyone else corroborate this story as im so sure it used to happen but no1 i speak to remembers it. I would swear on anything Scally used to come and sit at the top of the rainham end with his (celebrity) pals of the time and watch abit of the game. I remember when we played torquay and he was up there with Helen Chamberlain and also I remember seeing him up there with others. Does anyone remember this or have i officially dreamt it

Didnā€™t he sit up there with Brian Moore (the football commentator whose head looked uncannily like the London Planetarium) once?