Humphrys | Page 2 | Vital Football

Humphrys

It's funny, 4 months ago I was begging him to sign a new contract. Now I can't wait until he leaves and gets replaced with someone who plays for the team and not himself.

In a way I feel sorry for Humps, the lad obviously has bucketfuls of talent but struggles to get into games for most of the time.

There have been many players like this over the years and the standouts for us are Powell and Gomez both of whom were scapegoated due to the nature of the way their games were played. Both drifted in and out of games and were chalk and cheese during the season, but both could produce that one moment of pure genius that could change a game.

Indeed we have a player on the books now who has gone through that phase and been lucky enough to come out of the other side in Cal Mac. His career was over after having a lacklustre season with Tranmere and losing all his enthusiasm for the game but was brought back by Maloney after being allowed to train with the academy in an effort to maintain his fitness.

Throughout his career he has never been known as a ninety minute player and again has always shown moments of brilliance and also times of lacklustre mediocrity over his playing career but seems to have found his mojo this season.

The reason I mention this is that it simply goes to show what a difference a show of belief from a manager can do for a player. Cal Mac got that from Maloney, whether he can do the same for Humps, I don't know, but if it takes a change of club to find that belief then I wish him well.

In a way I feel sorry for Humps, the lad obviously has bucketfuls of talent but struggles to get into games for most of the time.

There have been many players like this over the years and the standouts for us are Powell and Gomez both of whom were scapegoated due to the nature of the way their games were played. Both drifted in and out of games and were chalk and cheese during the season, but both could produce that one moment of pure genius that could change a game.

Indeed we have a player on the books now who has gone through that phase and been lucky enough to come out of the other side in Cal Mac. His career was over after having a lacklustre season with Tranmere and losing all his enthusiasm for the game but was brought back by Maloney after being allowed to train with the academy in an effort to maintain his fitness.

Throughout his career he has never been known as a ninety minute player and again has always shown moments of brilliance and also times of lacklustre mediocrity over his playing career but seems to have found his mojo this season.

The reason I mention this is that it simply goes to show what a difference a show of belief from a manager can do for a player. Cal Mac got that from Maloney, whether he can do the same for Humps, I don't know, but if it takes a change of club to find that belief then I wish him well.

I don't think Powell was ever a scapegoat or fall into the category you describe above.

The difference between Humphrys and Powell and Gomez is they didn't feel entitled to play every minute no matter what and didn't throw strops whenever they went off...

The difference between Humphrys and Powell and Gomez is they didn't feel entitled to play every minute no matter what and didn't throw strops whenever they went off...
This is a decent contender for biggest load of bollocks you'll see on here this month. Powell was king of the strops.

This is a decent contender for biggest load of bollocks you'll see on here this month. Powell was king of the strops.

Powell at least gave back when he played. Does Humphrys? I've seen him give performances this season where he just stands around waiting for the ball, offering nothing, then just loses it once he gets it, then dares to moan when he gets brought off.

Powell at least gave back when he played. Does Humphrys? I've seen him give performances this season where he just stands around waiting for the ball, offering nothing, then just loses it once he gets it, then dares to moan when he gets brought off.

Humphrys was for many at the beginning of this season flavour of the month. Up until his injury he was playing well but has lacked self belief and self motivation since.

There is a player in there but whether our manager can coax him out, I don't know.

By the way it is generally players that consider that they can contribute more that moan when they are hooked and not those that are on the beach or looking for a move away.