How much responsibility should our DOF | Vital Football

How much responsibility should our DOF

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
take for this seasons performance?
Mrs Harris blamed him for Neil's departure, I can't see that there has been any dramatic improvement.

DoF is a strategic role and, as such, the success can only be assessed over the long term.

I think some people try and directly link the poor performance on the pitch with KJ unfairly. What happens on the pitch is the responsibility of 11 men and Clem.

KJ’s role (I’m assuming by his job title) is to put in place the supporting infrastructure for the footballing side of the business to ensure that we have a successful team. Do we have the right structures to identify, attract and nurture talent from a young age? Do we have a good scouting network? Are the training facilities in place to make the team successful, have we got the right balance between loan/perms, so we have the right age balance in the squad, how do we minimise risk of long term injuries etc.

KJ was asked about his job role at the last Fans' Forum, to say his answer was vague and lacking definition would be an understatement.

DoF is a strategic role and, as such, the success can only be assessed over the long term.

I think some people try and directly link the poor performance on the pitch with KJ unfairly. What happens on the pitch is the responsibility of 11 men and Clem.

KJ’s role (I’m assuming by his job title) is to put in place the supporting infrastructure for the footballing side of the business to ensure that we have a successful team. Do we have the right structures to identify, attract and nurture talent from a young age? Do we have a good scouting network? Are the training facilities in place to make the team successful, have we got the right balance between loan/perms, so we have the right age balance in the squad, how do we minimise risk of long term injuries etc.
There has to be short term measurable performance objectives, otherwise it could be a doss for 3 years.

Glad you know what KJ role is as he didn't seem to have a scooby when asked at the Fans Forum.😉

Once i know what he is supposed to do i can then judge whether has has added anything.

It's very unclear currently what KJ and AH actually do.
Andy Hessenthaler is the chief Scout I think that is clear .Watching targets mainly identified from above I would guess .He might have a chance to identify his own punts if we are talking Jayden Clarke or any younger youth recruits?
As for Kenny his exact role does appear to be the question BG has to ask himself.

Everything but - do we have enough leaders? AND do we have enough players with pace? AND do we have enough creators? AND do we have any finishers?

If Clem is meant to spend all his time coaching, somebody has to ensure he is provided those tools. If not the DOF, then who?

Glad you know what KJ role is as he didn't seem to have a scooby when asked at the Fans Forum.😉

I don’t know exactly what are his responsibilities without making some huge assumptions about what a DoF does.

But - ignorance of someone’s role isn’t grounds for sacking them.

I don’t know exactly what are his responsibilities without making some huge assumptions about what a DoF does.

But - ignorance of someone’s role isn’t grounds for sacking them.
The fact that Brad is new to football even looking at previous US knowledge. Would point to him leaning on Kenny a fair bit especially if Scally is drifting out of the picture. For those who think Kenny's has no job think about that remove Kenny and Scally would then have more power as a advisor to Brad and Shannon?
For me it seems likely that is a fair bit of the job .Having identified players which I would imagine he would be heavily involved in .Then someone has to decide how much they are worth to us both in terms of transfer fee and wages .Then there is length of contract. Negotiating those matters I would guess would be a big part of what he has to do .Brad holds the purse strings but there is no way he would decide the package offered to the players. The head coach or manager just wants the players I doubt very much Clemence would be directly involved in financial deals .
So during the season Kenny would be watching players with Andy and talking to contacts in the game about those players including agents,other coaches and managers and indeed chairman at times .So doing some of the stuff that Scally would have done in the past.Other scouting and information gathering would have had to come down to the manager and his assistant in the past so certainly would not have had the time or depth put into it.
Is it all worth it ?
Well so far that is questionable perhaps ?
But if Scally is no longer taking on duties then I can see a argument for a DOF at least for a few more years.
Doing a more in depth job need not mean a immediate benefit. There may well have been players identified that have been previously unavailable that Kenny and Andy have been working on.

Could there be any possibility of us losing the three stooges (and I lump Scally in with Hess and Jackett) and replacing them with Steve Bruce. Former Gill, not in work, has lots of contacts in the game, is close to SC and RS and is probably past it as a manager but could act as a great mentor for SC and can’t do any worse in the transfer market than the three stooges and the owners and managers have done in the last two transfer windows.

As part of the recruitment team & apparently having a leading role in Harris leaving then KJ is for me firmly in the frame if blame for the outcome of our season is to be allocated.

The inability to recruit smartly & our failure to sign goal scorers has contributed hugely to a season of under achievement.

Could there be any possibility of us losing the three stooges (and I lump Scally in with Hess and Jackett) and replacing them with Steve Bruce. Former Gill, not in work, has lots of contacts in the game, is close to SC and RS and is probably past it as a manager but could act as a great mentor for SC and can’t do any worse in the transfer market than the three stooges and the owners and managers have done in the last two transfer windows.
Steve would have no more idea of what it takes to get out of L2 than Clemence does.

As part of the recruitment team & apparently having a leading role in Harris leaving then KJ is for me firmly in the frame if blame for the outcome of our season is to be allocated.

The inability to recruit smartly & our failure to sign goal scorers has contributed hugely to a season of under achievement.

Thankfully the only relevant apportioning of blame would be done by Brad (and maybe Kenny where it’s not his homework being marked). Lots of ‘apparentlys’ replaced by facts.

Plenty of criticism flying about for Hess and Kenny when little is known about what they’ve actually done (or haven’t done).

I’m very comfortable leaving it in the capable hands of those in power who have far more info at their disposal to make the right calls.

Thankfully the only relevant apportioning of blame would be done by Brad (and maybe Kenny where it’s not his homework being marked). Lots of ‘apparentlys’ replaced by facts.

Plenty of criticism flying about for Hess and Kenny when little is known about what they’ve actually done (or haven’t done).

I’m very comfortable leaving it in the capable hands of those in power who have far more info at their disposal to make the right calls.

Another serious post again today? Nibbles’ Vital account has been hacked.

I think fans have certain facts in that they can see where the recruitment has been successful & where it has failed. Never comfortable with seeking to deny fans the ability to voice an opinion because they are not part of the official set up & deemed not to be in the know. Sort of spoils the fun of participating in social media.

think fans have certain facts in that they can see where the recruitment has been successful & where it has failed.

Fans can see which players we’ve signed. They can’t see which players we’ve tried to sign, or nearly signed, what offers were made to players and what demands were made.

Clearly we’ve failed to sign a goal scoring attack (ignoring Andrews) is it down poor identification of players, poor transfer strategy or an insufficient budget? Without knowing answers to the above questions I’ll refrain from pointing any fingers.
Never comfortable with seeking to deny fans the ability to voice an opinion because they are not part of the official set up & deemed not to be in the know.

Who’s sought to deny fans the ability to voice an opinion?