How does technology annoy you? | Vital Football

How does technology annoy you?

D

Departed

My bank has set up a text notification whenever there is a transaction on any of our accounts now. We/they did because we had some erroneous charges a few months ago.

I just received a notice on a transaction at Somerset Beach Watersports. In Bermuda. Where my wife is with a group of her friends. They rent jet skis. I'm at work.

Galvin's Shinpads - 21/5/2013 20:49

Suck on another fat Cuban, in the swimming pool. You'll be fine.

Don't smoke and the pool is 58 degrees. Screw that.

Calls to companies resulting in long winded auto menus/messages ...e.g ok in order to deal with your call efficiently please take one of the following 7 options.....ok now listen to the following 6 options....etc etc..blah blah.........then after 6 different menus......the final one...ok we will now connect you to an operative.....FFS :10:

Greavswasthegreatest - 21/5/2013 20:56

Calls to companies resulting in long winded auto menus/messages ...e.g ok in order to deal with your call efficiently please take one of the following 7 options.....ok now listen to the following 6 options....etc etc..blah blah.........then after 6 different menus......the final one...ok we will now connect you to an operative.....FFS :10:

That's the fucker Greavsie, nailed it in one as far as I'm concerned.

That's the fucker Greavsie, nailed it in one as far as I'm concerned.

For me it is the beeps. This beeps that beeps everything beeps. We even respond without thinking to beeps. That drives me crazy.

I had one of those once, which after all of that told me to go to an internet page (The actual page that had directed me to phone the number i was currently listening to) then hung up on me.

As for how technology annoys me, one thing pisses me off and a second makes me want to cry a little inside.

Pisses me off: That my phone can't feel pain. Pisses me off no end with it's shocking connection problems and altogether poor OS. Will say i have sent texts that never arrive and every 5-10 texts i will miss one. I put it down to it being LG and is why i'm not even considering investing a hefty chunk of change (for me) on one of their tv's even if their manipulated pictures look quite pleasing to my eye. Will probably never buy anything of theirs again.

Makes me cry a little on the inside: That windows troubleshooting is smart enough to realise you don't have an internet connection, then tell you that it has no idea how to fix it and asks whether you want it to check the internet for a solution. I literally facepalmed through my head and the wall behind me.

Love technology, I am at one with it. Best thing that ever happened for the masses, that and penicillin..! :10:

I think where Technology really annoys me is where we don't have consistent common interfaces between equipment. We have a plug on a device for connecting it to other equipment for example like a Video lead and then it doesn't fit every case, we have HDMI, 'S' Video, VGA, Yellow RCA/Phono, DVI, Optical etc. Why do we not in worldwide terms not stabilise on providing a common connection that does it all. Surely by now we all know what we need, (sound up to 7.1 and beyond, Video up to 1080P and beyond, optical, digital etc), so why can't we have one connector that does it all?

OK I know the answer to it really, my question is a bit rhetorical, different manufacturers want their own connector for many reasons (to corner the market usually but also because of size, shape etc) but there should be a world standard that all the manufacturers should comply with. World wide mass production of the item would hugely reduce the cost. So are the little (plug and socket) manufacturers who have a personal interest in keeping their production lines going with all the variations, now running the show?

DEAD RIGHT GREAVSIE! 'Got to be one of the MOST annoying (Particularly Barclaycard services line - INFURIATING!)

just mash the hash key loads of times and that usually puts you straight in the queue to speak to a real person

good technology shouldn't be a hindrance. bad technology, and i mean badly designed pieces of technology are always going to give you grief, and then even good designs, but tampered with via a virus or longevity issues of the hardware will also give you grief as I supposed what has happened to zzz's phone. the thread question is very subjective.

Spurfect11 - 23/5/2013 12:07

just mash the hash key loads of times and that usually puts you straight in the queue to speak to a real person

I've never tried that 'Spurfect', I'll have a go next time, sounds like fun. There's nothing worse than listening to all that, finding the right option and then accidentally hitting the wrong key. AGGGGHHHHH!

Welshtel - 23/5/2013 11:41

I think where Technology really annoys me is where we don't have consistent common interfaces between equipment. We have a plug on a device for connecting it to other equipment for example like a Video lead and then it doesn't fit every case, we have HDMI, 'S' Video, VGA, Yellow RCA/Phono, DVI, Optical etc. Why do we not in worldwide terms not stabilise on providing a common connection that does it all. Surely by now we all know what we need, (sound up to 7.1 and beyond, Video up to 1080P and beyond, optical, digital etc), so why can't we have one connector that does it all?

OK I know the answer to it really, my question is a bit rhetorical, different manufacturers want their own connector for many reasons (to corner the market usually but also because of size, shape etc) but there should be a world standard that all the manufacturers should comply with. World wide mass production of the item would hugely reduce the cost. So are the little (plug and socket) manufacturers who have a personal interest in keeping their production lines going with all the variations, now running the show?

Actually, these standards are agreed globally by standards bodies - so I suspect you aren't differentiating between the technical issues/problems that drive the outcomes.

They are agreed globally by standards bodies so that ODM's (orginal design Manufacturers) can plan production on mass, which in turn drives down prices...most people still don't realise that most if not all the 'brands' use common parts from these ODM's and the differentiators are only the packaging (the stylying if you like) and perhaps the software interface(s)...

Connectors in particular are driven by capability leaps of the base underlying 'pipes'/silicon technology and refinement of machine code..

Having said all that, the time is coming when near-field comms will all be wireless or using UWB (ultra wide band)..of course the holy grail is the removal of wires just as wi-fi was for computing devices/mobiles....

Technology is great, it's a fashion industry first and foremost...