How Did Our Loan Players Do? | Vital Football

How Did Our Loan Players Do?

We started with Blackman in goal , even though it was obvious that due to previous injuries he wasn't very agile, or able to kick properly. Bad mistake, and we needlessly wasted time and points before Johansson was given a chance. To be fair to Blackman he looked more agile and played well in the last few games of the season, when Johansson was injured.... when it was a bit too late.

We brought Hirst in to score goals - he didn't score any... or set up any for anyone else, from what I remember. Don't really need to say much more than that. Like Terry Donovan, he will probably be a Millers "legend" for all the wrong reasons . Let's just say that it is doubtful that he will ever be brought out onto the pitch in future seasons to do the half time draw!

Jozefzoon didn't score any either, although he was a winger, so that wasn't his main job. I got a bit suspicious when Derby kept insisting, without any prompting, that it was a SEASON-LONG loan. Nowhere near as good as, say, Jonathon Taylor, or Joe Newell, who we had previously offloaded.

Wing and Giles looked quite good. Plus they scored some goals, though not enough to save us. Unlike the other three, we only had them on loan for the latter stages of the season. If it had been those two on a season-long loan, and the other three for only the last few weeks of the season, we would have probably stayed up!

Overall - at best, it was a "mixed-bag". Will we learn from our mistakes? Just got to get back up to the Championship now for us to find out.

Last edited:
Good post, Caz.
Only one point I would disagree with you on and that is that I feel we do have the right to be critical of George Hirst.
( I think I read somewhere that we paid him more than any of our contracted players!!)
I don’t think he worked hard enough, I don’t think he showed any passion for the game, I don’t think he showed commitment to his team mates.
I don’t think he demonstrated the level of ability we were led to expect, and he didn’t score any goals - the sole reason for him being brought to the club!!
His (short) performances didn’t show he deserved 90minutes on the pitch.