How can we fix the finances of football? | Page 2 | Vital Football

How can we fix the finances of football?

Salary caps would help, but will never happen.

Ultimately when you have most owners who are happy to lose money for fun, status or in guise of investment then it create an imbalance. It inadvertently kills clubs who don't have the bank balance too - look at our decline towards the end of PS's reign.

Us much as we think we're different with the Galinsons we are now also part of the problem. We can say it's investment into the club for sustainable growth, which I hope is true. However, we will certainly be losing money and signing players we can't afford based on our income (yes I know it's gone up).

We can do something. If everybody stopped paying for Sky or stopped going altogether than suddenly the Premier League 'product' is worthless. It can be done but wont be.

Salary caps would help, but will never happen.

Ultimately when you have most owners who are happy to lose money for fun, status or in guise of investment then it create an imbalance. It inadvertently kills clubs who don't have the bank balance too - look at our decline towards the end of PS's reign.

Us much as we think we're different with the Galinsons we are now also part of the problem. We can say it's investment into the club for sustainable growth, which I hope is true. However, we will certainly be losing money and signing players we can't afford based on our income (yes I know it's gone up).
But if we are to move forward we needed investment in the team . Sustainability was not possible in the short term unless we excepted regulation to the National League.
The next job was to get the fans to invest in the project.That could only be done with a fairly large investment which was never likely to be fully funded through the gates and sponsorship.
The sustainability project is likely to be a long term aim .I have always believed it is possible.However it can only be successful through development of players.Producing players that move on to play regular major international and club football.This would quickly influence transfer prices of out going players.It would also inflate incoming prices .But if at that stage we are already developing top class youth products then the demand for signing from young players would greatly increase.
In my opinion the process is likely to take at least to the end of the decade.In that time B & S G will need to invest millions over the income to include infrastructure investment.Come the 2030s I do believe sustainability is possible. But is still and make a major undertaking with no guarantees of success.
Failure could see the Galinson's move on.
But hopefully if they do they will still leave us in a much stronger position. This would possibly lead to much smaller profits for their investment.

H
But if we are to move forward we needed investment in the team . Sustainability was not possible in the short term unless we excepted regulation to the National League.
The next job was to get the fans to invest in the project.That could only be done with a fairly large investment which was never likely to be fully funded through the gates and sponsorship.
The sustainability project is likely to be a long term aim .I have always believed it is possible.However it can only be successful through development of players.Producing players that move on to play regular major international and club football.This would quickly influence transfer prices of out going players.It would also inflate incoming prices .But if at that stage we are already developing top class youth products then the demand for signing from young players would greatly increase.
In my opinion the process is likely to take at least to the end of the decade.In that time B & S G will need to invest millions over the income to include infrastructure investment.Come the 2030s I do believe sustainability is possible. But is still and make a major undertaking with no guarantees of success.
But hopefully if they do they will still leave us in a much stronger position. This would possibly lead to much smaller profits for their investment.
no foreign ownership and spread any tv money - by law.

H

no foreign ownership and spread any tv money - by law.
Short of government legislation which I see as very unlikely at best I can't see your wishes happening.TV revenue I totally agree is a joke .But then so is the fact that the SNP Tory's and Labour massively benefit from the first past the post system of elections.But if we held another vote there is no way that a PR system is likely.The only way possible is for splits to appear in both of the largest parties or Labour believing that Scottish independence is coming.
Whichever the direction of government the majority will support their club which like elections will always favour the biggest.
As for foreign ownership that is right across all sectors of business but no doubt world wide British business possibly owns as much if not more foreign companies.
Remember football probably will always make a net loss so far from taking money out the majority put money in they never see again.This fact probably makes any British company or individual less likely to be interested.The foreign owner may see the loss as well worth it for their own reasons.
My own guess is the only way Scally for example could have sold to a UK company or individual was administration.We are very fortunate to have to Galinson's for every drawback there is loads of massive plusses.

I think the thing is Chris, if we didn’t have other clubs spending above their means, ie if everybody in L2 was only able to spend the money they take from tickets, merchandise, sponsorship and corporate “off field” income, then we could have invested in the team on more of a level with others of our ilk. And unfortunately we have now become part of the problem (although we are all enjoying the ride).

Salary caps will also only work if all leagues adopt it across the world. It’s no good the PL being forced to sticking to 100k per week if Real, Barca, or Juventus can offer 4x that. Or the Middle East 10x that. The best players in the world would soon fuck off elsewhere and the PL would become a desolate, tumbleweed of a spectacle that no one in their right mind would bother watching, let alone pay for...

Actually, on second thoughts,

Thank god you weren't around before the magna carta was signed...
Being pedantic, the Magna Carter was nothing to do with We the People.

It was about power for the Barons, against the Monarch.

The Barons are the Premier League teams.
They (most) have little interest in WE, the fans.

Before you can say financial fair play, the European super league will be back on the agenda.

There is nothing WE can do.
WE haven’t caused the problem and WE can’t solve it.

If by "WE" you mean football supporters, of course there is something WE can do.

Of course WE could solve it.

I'm not saying that it is likely to be done but it very much COULD be done.

All it would need is a united effort. If supporters of all Premier League clubs made a collective decision to boycott the Premier League then the Premier League's power would soon crumble. Their power comes from the money the make from selling their 'product' to the world.

But their 'product' is only valuable because of the supporters. If there were no supporters the value would soon diminish.

Did you watch any games on TV during lockdown? I did. Only a couple though because it was shit. Football is nothing without fans. There was no emotion, no real excitement. And this was because there were no fans. I'm sure that like me you will have heard those who don't follow and enjoy football say things such as, "I just don't get it, it's just 22 people chasing a ball about!" And, for me at least, that's exactly what it felt like when watching games during lockdown. It all suddenly became rather meaningless.

Do you really think that the Premier League would be able to continue to sell their 'product' around the world if it became meaningless because there were no fans in the stadiums?

Don't bother telling me that this boycott wouldn't happen. I know it wouldn't. But that doesn't mean it couldn't. WE could solve it. Just like (in a wider context) WE (the people) could change our society, WE could change our world.

It's people like yourself, people who refuse to believe that an alternative is possible, who help those with power retain their power. By refusing to accept the possibility of a solution you become part of the problem.

Last edited:
Don't bother telling me that this boycott wouldn't happen. I know it wouldn't. But that doesn't mean it couldn't. WE could solve it. Just like (in a wider context) WE (the people) could change our society, WE could change our world.
It's people like yourself, people who refuse to believe that an alternative is possible, who help those with power retain their power. By refusing to accept the possibility of a solution you become part of the problem.
I think Shotty and others are just more aware of human nature than you are.

Everybody has a hypocrite inside them. When they are poor, the pot needs to be shared around more and they vote Labour. When they are rich, it is a "hands off my stash" attitude and vote for the Tories. Well, until recent times, that is.:(. Football clubs are only following the same habits as individuals.

Of course, stopping playing for Football on TV may reduce the power of the EPL, but it would only go back to something similar the 1980s at worst. People that live in cities are not going to abandon Manure and start going to Stockport or Bury games.

The question was, how can we fix the financial problems of football?
My reply was WE can’t.
Boycotting matches, promoting revolution, etc won’t fix the financial problems in football.
If anything, that would make it worse.
The only people who can fix it are the people who caused it.
The Football Association have been toothless.
The Premier League do what they want.
The government can’t get involved because of FIFA

I think Shotty and others are just more aware of human nature than you are.

Everybody has a hypocrite inside them. When they are poor, the pot needs to be shared around more and they vote Labour. When they are rich, it is a "hands off my stash" attitude and vote for the Tories. Well, until recent times, that is.:(. Football clubs are only following the same habits as individuals.

Of course, stopping playing for Football on TV may reduce the power of the EPL, but it would only go back to something similar the 1980s at worst. People that live in cities are not going to abandon Manure and start going to Stockport or Bury games.

The 'human nature' argument.

You say "more aware" but I'd say "different opinion of".

I believe that humans have the potential for good and the potential for bad. What determines whether it is good or bad is circumstance and environment (this tallies with what you say about voting habits - though I can assure you that under no circumstance and in no environment would I ever vote Tory!).

I would definitely agree with you and shotty that at this point in time human nature is as bad as it is good. But I don't think it always has to be that way. WE have the potential to change that. We COULD change that. We COULD be better.

And that was the point I was trying to make in my previous post - not that it would happen, but that it COULD.

Hope is eternal. Without it we have nothing.

The question was, how can we fix the financial problems of football?
My reply was WE can’t.
Boycotting matches, promoting revolution, etc won’t fix the financial problems in football.
If anything, that would make it worse.
The only people who can fix it are the people who caused it.
The Football Association have been toothless.
The Premier League do what they want.
The government can’t get involved because of FIFA

I know. I read your posts.

My reply was that we could.

I accept that it'll not happen. Much of the reason why it won't is because of the people who say we can't.

Let's agree to disagree or we'll just go round in circles. One day someone or something might change the minds of people like yourself. I know that's not going to be me so there's little point me trying. I'm happy to just sometimes remind you of the possibility of an alternative. Even though you'll (probably) continue to deny it.

The cynic in me thinks that a closed-shop "NFL type" league at the top is inevitably going to happen sooner or later, because that's what the foreign owners and the armchair Man U "fan" in Croydon wants (be that Europe wide or UK based.

And part of me thinks that might not be such a bad thing for the rest of us. Without the prospect of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, maybe clubs on the outside would stop spending more than they can afford and concentrate on providing entertaining and competitive football for us to watch

If by "WE" you mean football supporters, of course there is something WE can do.

Of course WE could solve it.

I'm not saying that it is likely to be done but it very much COULD be done.

All it would need is a united effort. If supporters of all Premier League clubs made a collective decision to boycott the Premier League then the Premier League's power would soon crumble. Their power comes from the money the make from selling their 'product' to the world.

But their 'product' is only valuable because of the supporters. If there were no supporters the value would soon diminish.

Did you watch any games on TV during lockdown? I did. Only a couple though because it was shit. Football is nothing without fans. There was no emotion, no real excitement. And this was because there were no fans. I'm sure that like me you will have heard those who don't follow and enjoy football say things such as, "I just don't get it, it's just 22 people chasing a ball about!" And, for me at least, that's exactly what it felt like when watching games during lockdown. It all suddenly became rather meaningless.

Do you really think that the Premier League would be able to continue to sell their 'product' around the world if it became meaningless because there were no fans in the stadiums?

after reading this, I have decided that I will not be attending a premier league match this weekend. WHO ELSE IS WITH ME????!!!!

after reading this, I have decided that I will not be attending a premier league match this weekend. WHO ELSE IS WITH ME????!!!!
Oooh, I'm so excited!

With you on board and with your massive influence, we simply can't fail.

All the naysayers, start listening: 3x6 is gonna lead the revolution.

Viva 3x6! Viva 3x6! Can he fix it? YES HE CAN!

🎶 Follow Follow Follow, We Will Follow Wherever You Don't Go, Whether in the Towns or Out in the Stocks, We Will Follow 3x6...🎶 💙🖤🤍