How can it be stopped! | Vital Football

How can it be stopped!

Manofpride

Vital Youth Team
It has to stop but how?

Watching Columbia last night with their dirty tricks throughout the game was desperate.
Was the Ref to weak, studs down legs, deliberate fouls, headbutting, kicking ruts into the penalty spot before Kanes penalty.
Then we see Sterling being hassled by one of their coaches at half time, the list goes on.
The time from Kane being wrestled to the ground to taking the spot kick was unreal.
They were trying every tactic to put Kane off, totally wrong.

If a player is in the refs face book them.
I don't know what the answer is. IMO they should be banned from the next World cup!
Well done England!

Last edited:
Over 4 minutes from a foul just outside the box to when the free kick could be taken. OK, 90 seconds of that was aacounted for by VAR but itis a ridiculous state of affairs when taking a free kick actually takes that long.

Over 3 minutes from the body slam on Kane to his actually being able to take the ensuing penalty.

The kicking, punching, butting etc etc etc. MoP asks how to stop it. On answer might be to change, update or create new Laws. Not necessary in this instance as there are already Laws in place to account for all of the shameful Colombian actions yesterday.

The problem is, most refs don't have the cojones to implement them.

I am of the opinion that, had the ref handed out all of the cards he should have done, then the game would not have been completed as Colombia would have had too few players left on the park. They wouuld then, more than likely, have been disqualified and the match awarded to England. FIFA would see this as not being in the game's best interests, bad publicity. I would not be surprised to hear that FIFA have issued some kind of instruction to refs to prevent mass sendings off in a game.

On another, related, point, I have grave doubts that we will get any more penalties for Kane being wrestled to the floor. We have had 3 already and it would not be beyond the realms of possibility for refs to be told no more.......

In short MoP, refs merely need to implement the Laws that are already in place.

Been going on for ever. All too reminiscent of Argentina in 1966 when Rattin(?) got sent off.
One of the problems, imo, was having a rookie referee from that hotbed of football, New Jersey, in charge.
A good referee would have warned and then red carded those who still wouldn’t shut up.
The rules are there...implement them. VAR would only have justified any action taken in yesterday’s circumstances.

Thought the ref did a good job on the fouls, but a bit weak on the dissent. Was pleased our lot didn't really rise to it, and Kane's behaviour whilst being hustled waiting to take his penalty was exemplary, and brings back a little faith in the game for me.

Ref did a good job on fouls? Was that apart from the headbutt to the chin or Henderson?

The problem is that he did not impose himself on the game early enough. There was a load of jostling at set pieces which he did little to prevent by way of an early booking. When he did try to take command he was surrounded by dissenting players who, again, he took too long to book. Then there was the headbutt, the penalty and its fall out and so on. It was an hour before he decided to take actions that should have taken place in the first 15 minutes.

But of course according to Maradonna and Falcao he was biased against the Colombines always giving the decisions to England, because he spoke English!

No two people saw the same game it seems

Don't really know why they do it I think it's done to intimidate with the hope of getting a reaction and a red card I think maybe in the past we have not always been up for a scrap but players like Walker Henderson and Maguire don't back down Colombia don't even need to resort to it because they are a good footballing side cut us open times when they had to get a goal

Don't really know why they do it I think it's done to intimidate with the hope of getting a reaction and a red card I think maybe in the past we have not always been up for a scrap but players like Walker Henderson and Maguire don't back down Colombia don't even need to resort to it because they are a good footballing side cut us open times when they had to get a goal

Completely agree mista...the Columbians were architects of their own downfall.
Maybe with more TV/VAR scrutiny than ever before the diving and feigning of injury will eventually die out and, ironically, certain South American sides will reap the reward their football rather than their acting talent deserves.

Someone suggested that Kane would be lucky to ‘win’ another penalty. I’m not sure I agree...think, if anything, TV has proved that his appeals have been justified and that he hasn’t dived once. That can surely only go in his favour as referees can’t help but be more objectively aware of his reputation and some of the treatment he’s been getting.

It has to stop but how?

Watching Columbia last night with their dirty tricks throughout the game was desperate.
Was the Ref to weak, studs down legs, deliberate fouls, headbutting, kicking ruts into the penalty spot before Kanes penalty.
Then we see Sterling being hassled by one of their coaches at half time, the list goes on.
The time from Kane being wrestled to the ground to taking the spot kick was unreal.
They were trying every tactic to put Kane off, totally wrong.

If a player is in the refs face book them.
I don't know what the answer is. IMO they should be banned from the next World cup!
Well done England!

South Americans eh, It has been an on-going thing with them for decades, Argentina started it and now everyone thinks it is ok to carry on with these tactics.

Then you get that drug infused Argentinian lunatic and cheat (sorry but I refuse to say or write his name even now). What does he think gives him the right to berate the referee and England, when it was clear to everyone else who the culprits were?

It is okay being strict to the VAR laws but if you can't stand up for yourself and impose your authority when players crowd you and get into your face then you are asking for problems. Like you say, book or send off a couple and the problem should go away.

South Americans eh, It has been an on-going thing with them for decades, Argentina started it and now everyone thinks it is ok to carry on with these tactics.

Then you get that drug infused Argentinian lunatic and cheat (sorry but I refuse to say or write his name even now). What does he think gives him the right to berate the referee and England, when it was clear to everyone else who the culprits were?

It is okay being strict to the VAR laws but if you can't stand up for yourself and impose your authority when players crowd you and get into your face then you are asking for problems. Like you say, book or send off a couple and the problem should go away.

Bloomer I think only the captain should be allowed to even speak to a ref anyone else yellow then red That would stop it overnight

Tbf Bloomer...it’s not only the South Americans. They have the worst reputation and some, I agree, are a disgrace, but the Italians and Portuguese have their moments too...not least Ronaldo.
There are plenty of home grown cheats too...our very own Robbie Savage and Frannie Lee got away with murder and I reckon Allan Clarke knew every dirty trick in the book.

Bloomer I think only the captain should be allowed to even speak to a ref anyone else yellow then red That would stop it overnight

...... only if the refs utilised the Law and, as we all know, they don't. I have often advocated following Rugby's lead and comments to the ref lead to the free kick beinf advanced 10 yards, and 10 yards further if it continues. When the next 10 yards takes you into the area it becomes a penalty. Even that would only work if refs enforce the Laws.

I learnt at a very early age to respect refs. I was taught a workaround. You don't blame the ref. You point the finger at yourself. You start the conversation with "Excuse me please ref....." I appear to have made an infringement but don't know what I did wrong. Could you tell me what it was so that I don't repeat it? ..... and all done in a very polite and civil manner. It worked in Rugby. I also used it in football to good effect.

I also agree. Only the Captain may speak to the ref is a great idea.

Tbf Bloomer...it’s not only the South Americans. They have the worst reputation and some, I agree, are a disgrace, but the Italians and Portuguese have their moments too...not least Ronaldo.
There are plenty of home grown cheats too...our very own Robbie Savage and Frannie Lee got away with murder and I reckon Allan Clarke knew every dirty trick in the book.
Savage, Franny and Clarke weren't in the same league as these cheating South Americans. If you had said Billy Bremner or Norman (breaks your legs) Hunter, I would have agreed :bounce:

No...they were dirty...Clarke too...but Sav and Franny could have competed with Tom Daley in the diving stakes...as the former famously proved, for Leicester against us, as I recall. Ask Craig Burley. :eek:

Latest Rams News