Holland v England | Vital Football

Holland v England

crooktownmags

Vital Squad Member
Not really interested in international football but I watched about 30 mins of the second half. I thought England were decidedly average and would have been punished by better opponents. What amazed me was how poor Holland looked. I thought they were clueless.

It was a bit ironic for Mackem supporters considering the plight they are in that two ex-players were the first two out of the tunnel, the captain and the keeper for England. Holland are a shadow of their former selves. Was I imaging it but didn't the Dutch defender who plays for Liverpool turn his back when Lingard shot for what turned out to be the winning goal?

Pretty much how I saw it mate. I think Robben plastered over the cracks for a while but now Holland look really poor. I mean we bought their player of the year and he was Ok (at best), imagine if you had bought Hollands best player and time from 1970 to maybe 2005? You would have been getting arguably one of the best players in the world.

No doubt the press will think we are going to win the world cup based on the fact they beat the worst dutch team in living memory. A summer of England flags plastered all over prior to the world cup and coming down after the first week. We are light years behind the best footballing countries.

I hardly noticed it here but there's been a fair bit on the news about the 'fighting' that took place. Genuinely embarrassing scenes of drunken halfwits throwing beer over tourists and some shitehawk dumping a bike into the canal. My contact teacher and I watched it on the morning news, big screen tv and all, in the staff canteen. She asked me 'what are they angry about?' Hard to fathom a reply to that question.

In other news; I managed to finagle a picture of Joe Harvey lifting the FA Cup in 1951, into my lesson last week. I don't know how to post a pic but if you Google it, it's the first image that comes up. Harvey held aloft by the team as he hoists the trophy. It was part of my lesson on 'Heroes'. Under the category 'Sporting Heroes' I showed this photograph. One of my better students asked me why it was in black and white. I patiently explained to them that my team had not won a trophy since 1969. Now they are following the league table with (perhaps feigned) interest. Basketball is the game here, football doesn't even rank. However, they like me and they see it pleases me when they pretend to like NUFC. If I can infect even one of them with the sickness I'll consider it a job well done. They already know that Peter Beardsley was a better player than Messi will ever be. It's a good start, but much to learn.

My local team are going ok. Two games in and they have 4 pts. Should have been 6pts but they threw away a two goal lead at home, in the opening fixture. We're at home again this Sunday. If the results go right we can go top. Should be a decent gate. They had 12,000 in for the opener. However, kids get in free under a certain age (ten I think) so in reality there's around 20,000 in there. Not bad for a Chinese 2nd division game.

If anyone wants to inbox me an email I'll send some action pics and stadium shots. Happy to see them posted on here. I'll get one of me in an NUFC shirt among the ultras. If I can find an XXXXL size.