History says, prepare for the Champions League.. | Vital Football

History says, prepare for the Champions League..

Spursex

Alert Team

Full article here: https://theathletic.com/5005866/2023/10/28/spurs-premier-league-top-four/

No team has started as well as Spurs and not finished in the Premier League top four​

The tipping point is edging into view.

As Spurs, however briefly, went five points clear at the top of the table, something which has not happened since 1960-61 when nothing in particular of note took place, their minimum ambition for the season surely solidified into something different to what will have been imagined 11 weeks ago when the campaign kicked off.

Not being at your best but still winning away from home? Having one shot on target but still winning 2-1? Well, you know what they say — that is the sign of… a top-four team.

OK, it is still too early for the ‘T word’. But T as in top four? Definitely. Heck, no team has earned this many wins (eight) from their opening 10 matches of a 20-team Premier League season and finished lower than fourth. And in all likelihood, fifth gets you in the Champions League this season....

There are hypotheticals at play here, and the fact there is only a quarter of the season gone acts as a warning in itself when forecasting the future, not least because the generosity of the fixture computer has seen Spurs face seven of the current bottom half of the table in their opening 10 matches.
If they are still top after their next four games — improving Chelsea at home, resurgent Wolverhampton Wanderers away, the very good Aston Villa at home and then the worldly good Manchester City away — then let’s talk.

But there is also the fact that there are obvious improvements which can still come from this team.

They are not playing at their very limit — two of their front three are not scoring goals, with Dejan Kulusevski’s form, albeit better than the back end of last season, still some way below his gliding, imaginative, artistic best. And Richarlison remains the odd man out in this team; shy on confidence, shy on quality and, although working hard enough and contributing to the unit, just not doing what can rightly be expected of him given his enormous talent.

When you ponder what Brennan Johnson might add — and he offered another tantalising glimpse here with an assist for Son’s goal to follow up on equally bright moments against Sheffield United and Arsenal. And, of course, the class and guile in midfield of Rodrigo Bentancur, who returned to action here after eight months on the sidelines. Pape Matar Sarr has made a fine start to the season but Bentancur at his best would have the ability to help take Spurs up a notch. Plus, there could be January additions to improve a squad which looks stronger by the week.

For the second game in a row, a star performer from the opening weeks was absent. This time it was Destiny Udogie, and again Spurs coped with that potentially destabilising absence, mostly through Emerson Royal whose half-time introduction for Ben Davies at left-back solidified that area of the pitch. To bring him, Johnson, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Bryan Gil and Bentancur off the bench here is, well, proper squad depth.

Questions keep being asked of Spurs and the answers keep coming.

This had all the makings of a night when they could come unstuck. Palace were impenetrable in the first half; Will Hughes stuck to Yves Bissouma like chewing gum to a shoe, shutting down Spurs attacks before they were even an idea. In fact, Spurs’ entire midfield was nullified and they resorted to either harmlessly knocking it around at the back (Cristian Romero completed the most passes, 141, of any Spurs player in any Premier League match since records began two decades ago) or they were direct, often to Son, which did not work.

How did they overcome their problems? Well, persistence (Sarr kept running all night and it was his dart to the byline that creaked open the door for Spurs to put pressure on for the opening goal) and good fortune ...

“Dreams last as long as they do,” Postecoglou added. “Until somebody wakes you up.”
Reality has not yet bitten this Spurs team, unless this is reality…

That is a brilliant piece …

I love the sentence “” questions keep being asked of Spurs and the answers keep coming “”
Who can remember when we last had that .

Even when Poch and Moura took us to the CL final, and the question was “ can we push on “….. sadly there wasn’t an answer ..well there was , but the answer was no .

We all know the weak areas are Kuku and Rich at the moment , we have all known that all season .

We have been hampered by the injuries to Bents and Perisic , Johnson Gil and Solomon , at the same time we are bedding new players in , and easing old players out .

The difference now is that Ange has the ability to roll seamlessly with the punches .

My heart doesn’t sink anymore when we play out from the back .
VDV had over a hundred touches of the ball on Friday night , with a 99% pass accuracy.
There isn’t a player in any position in any team who wouldn’t be proud of that . It’s stated above how many touches Romero had , a record for any Spurs player .
And he was comfortable doing that . It was controlled , we all felt at ease with him on the ball .
We haven’t had that for years , . maybe Aldo ?

Can you imagine Lloris standing outside his area with the ball at his feet and daring the opposition to come at him .
Vicario has been a revelation .

We have options on the bench , players who can make a difference , limited at the moment obviously .

I was there , along with a lot of others on here , watching the 1960 side win their first eleven games , pushing and running , playing the way they were facing, letting the ball do the work .
I can see that in this present side .

One of the things I have noticed , so simple but so effective , is the passing of the ball IN FRONT of the team mate , so that he can run onto it . He can run into space .

It’s not often a pass goes amiss , it’s not often a player hasn’t moved into a position to accept a pass , it’s not often the man with the ball doesn’t have more than one option .

When we pass it around now , at the back , it’s not because we haven’t a clue what to do with the ball , or because there are no options in front , it’s because we are making options , like a game of chess .

And then , when we have lured the opposition to where we want them , we move , and move with pace.

As I said , who can remember when we last did that .

Dreams ? ….. bring them on .

I’m dreaming .. Ange said I could .

Love that bloke .

That is a brilliant piece …

I love the sentence “” questions keep being asked of Spurs and the answers keep coming “”
Who can remember when we last had that .

Even when Poch and Moura took us to the CL final, and the question was “ can we push on “….. sadly there wasn’t an answer ..well there was , but the answer was no .

We all know the weak areas are Kuku and Rich at the moment , we have all known that all season .

We have been hampered by the injuries to Bents and Perisic , Johnson Gil and Solomon , at the same time we are bedding new players in , and easing old players out .

The difference now is that Ange has the ability to roll seamlessly with the punches .

My heart doesn’t sink anymore when we play out from the back .
VDV had over a hundred touches of the ball on Friday night , with a 99% pass accuracy.
There isn’t a player in any position in any team who wouldn’t be proud of that . It’s stated above how many touches Romero had , a record for any Spurs player .
And he was comfortable doing that . It was controlled , we all felt at ease with him on the ball .
We haven’t had that for years , . maybe Aldo ?

Can you imagine Lloris standing outside his area with the ball at his feet and daring the opposition to come at him .
Vicario has been a revelation .

We have options on the bench , players who can make a difference , limited at the moment obviously .

I was there , along with a lot of others on here , watching the 1960 side win their first eleven games , pushing and running , playing the way they were facing, letting the ball do the work .
I can see that in this present side .

One of the things I have noticed , so simple but so effective , is the passing of the ball IN FRONT of the team mate , so that he can run onto it . He can run into space .

It’s not often a pass goes amiss , it’s not often a player hasn’t moved into a position to accept a pass , it’s not often the man with the ball doesn’t have more than one option .

When we pass it around now , at the back , it’s not because we haven’t a clue what to do with the ball , or because there are no options in front , it’s because we are making options , like a game of chess .

And then , when we have lured the opposition to where we want them , we move , and move with pace.

As I said , who can remember when we last did that .

Dreams ? ….. bring them on .

I’m dreaming .. Ange said I could .

Love that bloke .
All so true Walt!

The 3 of them Venom, Romero n Mickey all play "we have the ball you want it come n get it", its not in the rules to say we have to bring the ball to your massed midfield n defence, esp when we are 2nil up, you want it you come n get it! simples.

So the opposition dares to come n get it boom! change gear we are then up the front taking advantage of space's opening up, thus a chance to score or a goal.

There is always when winning "if we have the ball you don't so no threat" simple really, if memory serves me correctly a Mr Brian Clough once said something like that.

A list of stats noted by BBC:

• Tottenham are the 13th side in Premier League history to take 26 points or more from their first 10 games of a season. Of the previous 12 sides, 11 of them finished in the top three, and half of them went on to win the title.

• The only side to have such an impressive start and not finish in the top three was Newcastle back in 1994-95, when they finished sixth.

• However, that was in a 42-game season. Every side to take 26 points or more after 10 games of a 38-game season has finished in the top three.

• Tottenham's current five-point lead is their biggest lead over second place in the top-flight since the final day of the 1960-61 campaign (eight points), when they last won the title.

• And one stat that will please Spurs fans even more - Arsenal's 'Invincibles' team of 2003/04 earned 24 points in their first 10 games, two fewer than this Tottenham side.
TO DARE IS TO DREAM.

Top 4 is looking more and more likely for sure....my only hope is it isn't too early in the rebuild to be hitting it. Remember this is STILL early and AP is just getting started with his plan....

I think we can all agree we are massively ahead of schedule.

Not getting ahead of myself though, this team has yet to deal with adversity...

No team has started as well as Spurs and not finished in the Premier League top four​

Dreams last as long as they do,” Postecoglou added. “Until somebody wakes you up.”
Reality has not yet bitten this Spurs team, unless this is reality

I think that it maybe. My only concern is that we are achieving narrow wins against teams that are relegation candidates, whereas other top three candidates are converting their superiority in similar fixtures into convincing wins.
Sheffield United are a perfect example. We scraped home against them in injury time, whereas Newcastle put eight past them the following week, and Arsenal coasted home with five at the weekend.
We must start converting superiority into goals, and increase our ability to kill off teams whose only objective is not to lose. These have always been weaknesses, and there has been an improvement this season, but more is still needed. It's interesting that our only really convincing win this season was against Burnley, who were naive enough to believe that they could compete with us.

I think that it maybe. My only concern is that we are achieving narrow wins against teams that are relegation candidates, whereas other top three candidates are converting their superiority in similar fixtures into convincing wins.
Sheffield United are a perfect example. We scraped home against them in injury time, whereas Newcastle put eight past them the following week, and Arsenal coasted home with five at the weekend.
We must start converting superiority into goals, and increase our ability to kill off teams whose only objective is not to lose. These have always been weaknesses, and there has been an improvement this season, but more is still needed. It's interesting that our only really convincing win this season was against Burnley, who were naive enough to believe that they could compete with us.
Patience!

Give Ange 1 or 2 transfer windows to make some tweaks here and there. A CB for cover, playmaker for Maddison cover and a clinical goal scorer from out wide.

We're just getting started!

I don't think the 5 point lead was meaningful. Every other club had a game in hand. If we had all played the same amount of games the 5 point lead would have really meant something. But a 2 point lead will do me at this point.

For us to be up there with any sort of lead is amazing , given the way these players , or the majority of them , were treated over the last few years .

Then to form a completely new defence , and midfield .. I find that truly amazing .

So I agree Geof , a two point lead will do me as well .

We do have a genuine nine point lead over sixth place though .with the top five going into CL this year , allegedly .

For us to be up there with any sort of lead is amazing , given the way these players , or the majority of them , were treated over the last few years .

Then to form a completely new defence , and midfield .. I find that truly amazing .

So I agree Geof , a two point lead will do me as well .

We do have a genuine nine point lead over sixth place though .with the top five going into CL this year , allegedly .
Good point at the end there, Walt. Whatever way we view the table .... it's very healthy!