Help - Stats needed season 88/89 | Vital Football

Help - Stats needed season 88/89

mick745

Vital Reserves Team
Can anyone help - if they have an old football programme or match report they can look up for me please?

I am after the names of the one unused substitute for each of these three games in season 88/89:

Sat 26 Nov 1988 Notts County (A)
Sun 19 Mar 1989 Swansea City (A)
Fri 24 Mar 1989 Wigan Athletic (H)

Many thanks

Can anyone help - if they have an old football programme or match report they can look up for me please?

I am after the names of the one unused substitute for each of these three games in season 88/89:

Sat 26 Nov 1988 Notts County (A)
Sun 19 Mar 1989 Swansea City (A)
Fri 24 Mar 1989 Wigan Athletic (H)

Many thanks

I can't help, Mick, but I am intrigued.
What is the purpose of your quest?

I can't help, Mick, but I am intrigued.
What is the purpose of your quest?

My quest is to find every player that has appeared in the Gills matchday squad. I have a lot of the information already but I am missing a few matches.

In recent years the number of players that have been unused as substitutes and never played a match has grown massively.

Thanks for all the suggestions to use gillingham scrapbook but unused subs aren't shown. Sadly match reports are not uploaded for that season on that site.

Is it worth contacting the club? They must have record of such stats somewhere. Not as much fun as hunting it down yourself but as a last resort?

Club didn't file the accounts on time. I wouldn't hold out much hope of them naming an unused sub 30 years ago ;-)

I see your point but there must have been official match day team sheets. Can't see any reason to ditch those, not even an incompetent bunch like ours ?

Last edited:
Mick745, not sure how desperate you are for the info, but all 3 programmesessions are available on eBay. The Gills home one v Wigan is 99p + postage.

Mick745, not sure how desperate you are for the info, but all 3 programmesessions are available on eBay. The Gills home one v Wigan is 99p + postage.
Maybe just email the seller and ask them for pics of each page to prove quality of product :grinning::grinning:

That said, did the programmes in those times name the full squad playing that day? Surely youd want the programme of the match AFTER that game, where it would hav the match report and squad selection most likely.

In the 2000s, Gills programmes used to have on the back double page all the results so far that season with all the players that played (including squad members too I think) and scored. I think it still does although it's been a while since I looked at one. If they had similar in 1989 then id guess you'd only need one programme to tell you the info - i.e. any programme after that game. Its always good to get the final programme of the season for that reason.

Last edited: