Hear the drums Fernando? | Vital Football

Hear the drums Fernando?

muttley

Alert Team
Not so long ago, I think most of us would have driven Llorente to the airport for the next plane out to Spain. He seemingly enjoyed the concept of being part of the Spurs project, but at the same time never really put in a massive shift for the club. A certain England captain was a very big reason why we didn't see much of him.

In the last 4 starts and 2 sub appearances he has 3 goals and also interestingly 3 assists. Hardly dynamic performances when you look closely but there's clearly something there that is contributing in the right columns.

After the Dortmund game, he has made the following comments......

"If I renew for one year I'll be delighted," he told El Larguero, as reported by AS. "The project here at Tottenham is very exciting, but we are also prepared for any phone call that might come through."

Claiming that he didn't hear anything from Bilbao regarding a move last month, Llorente did reveal he had received a call from another club in his home country.

"Maybe Harry Kane's injury played a part in me not leaving the club in the January window," he added.
"I haven't had a phone call from Bilbao, but I did get a call from another club in Spain... but not a club from the south."

Simple question. Could the unthinkable happen and Llorente will stay with Spurs for another season?

Like many proven professional footballers, when they never, or barely get a chance to actually play in matches, it becomes impossible to actually quantify their worth as a fan.

Exponentially so with goal scorers.

He was challenged when it mattered, he's risen to be a factor, could his position be improved upon? Does he offer intangible benefits not readily apparent to us game day watchers?

My interest in seeing him sold has been rooted in my beleif that he's not been doing enough to earn pitch time, and that certainly needs to be addressed. However, his attitude, effort, and contribution lately makes it all very interesting.

Who's the option? I guess is the most important answer to know.

His attitude and willingness to simply sit the bench and play slop time and the annual Kane ankle twist time is the main reason to keep him.

Hard to bash a dude like that...though I wouldn't pay him as much as we are for that role.

Still think we should have a bit more quality at that position...even if it is a back up role...though if we were flipping smart it wouldn't be a back up role, it would be rotation and tactical. (not 100% Kane regardless)

Playing = Fitness = Form = Touch = confidence = goals.

Strikers are simple animals.

If we can play him, keep him, if not, at his age, he'll go backwards again.

If I'm Llorente, I'd welcome a game or two in the U23's to keep myself ticking over. It certainly would have helped the transition back into first team starter as Kane gets injured and Son is away. Always confusing why the 2 teams are run so autonomously. As you say, that match fitness drives the rest.

Janssen was scoring for fun in the U23s whilst looking like he'd eaten one of the U19s. I don't think it would keep Llorente sharp.

Really Poch should have been playing him more to keep the rust off. The time he started with Kane against Madrid worked. 20 -30 minute cameos rather than 3 minute ones. Persuade Kane he will break the PL record faster if he's not flogged into the ground.

If we keep Llorente we should be playing him to keep him sharp.

That said Son is a great option in the rotation/alternative/play with Kane mould. I've said it for over a season. If he hadn't been at Asian games Llorente probably wouldn't have had a sniff.

I would still sell him.

As a club we must be moving forward and I don't see that happening by keeping over the hill players like Llorente.

If he was on cheap wages maybe but not on 75k a week.

Janssen was scoring for fun in the U23s whilst looking like he'd eaten one of the U19s. I don't think it would keep Llorente sharp.

Really Poch should have been playing him more to keep the rust off. The time he started with Kane against Madrid worked. 20 -30 minute cameos rather than 3 minute ones. Persuade Kane he will break the PL record faster if he's not flogged into the ground.

If we keep Llorente we should be playing him to keep him sharp.

That said Son is a great option in the rotation/alternative/play with Kane mould. I've said it for over a season. If he hadn't been at Asian games Llorente probably wouldn't have had a sniff.

Fair enough, I just always thought that's partly why the 23's were setup that way. It seems that the biggest benefit is to get the best academy players playing against the older age group.

Janssen will now disappear into the abyss and probably not kick a ball for either 23's or first team all season. That doesn't feel beneficial to club or player in my opinion

We all know this is kind of a pointless debate....unless there is a MAJOR shift in the rotation philosophy regarding Kane...we are simply going to be weak at that position.

Llorente is good enough to nick in a few goals...but long term cover for Kane he is not.

Oh well...

His goal and assist stats against minutes played are better than Sons or Kanes.

Hence the debate about whether he should get a year extension on his contract, even at his current £75k a week. With our current impotency in the transfer market, I'm starting to think we might.

Also why Andy Carroll given a 2 year contract, like we gave Llorente 2 seasons ago, isn't as stupid as it sounds. He's 4 years younger.

It's now up to the owners of THFC to prove that us fans shouldn't be thinking this way.

Fair play to him, as RD says I'd still sell but he's proved a lot of fans wrong.

He's scored a few but overall he still hasn't looked great lets be honest.