Hawkins - Up front or at the back | Vital Football

Hawkins - Up front or at the back

The Holy Spirit

Vital Squad Member
Where would we like to see Hawkins play then? Or where do we expect to see him play the most?

I suppose it depends on other signings we make

Seen mixed feelings on social media but the general consensus from Mansfield fans has been that he's better up front but has mostly played at the back for them. Still useful at the back but can be susceptible to pace and isn't the best on the ball.

A interesting question?
My guess is it might depend on who we can get between now and the end if the window.Signing someone like Stockley might be beyond what BG is willing or able to finance. So then we may well target players like Marriott (for example) instead.Having more of a Cody type forward signed up by the end of the window will mean Hawkes playing in his more favoured striker role .If however we get a Top centre forward then I believe he will play more often at the back.
If stories we are currently getting are true then I do believe he will play up top.Nichols playing behind a front two or cover for the more advanced positions.It will mean also certainly investing in not only a new left back but also a new centre back as playing two up top will make it impossible to play a back three and wing backs.
Hawkes is a nice problem for Harris to have.

Last edited:
The guy's scored nearly as many goals as our entire squad this season, despite often playing cb.
Meanwhile we've got the 13th best defence in the division.
He'll be up the top.

.Signing someone like Stockley might be beyond what BG is willing or able to finance.

Not being funny, but is Stockley that good or expensive? He's sat on the bench of a team struggling in League One for most of this season. Not being flippant, but given the players we've brought in so far this window, I doubt a bench warmer for an average League One outfit is beyond BG's finances.

From the club’s press release he’s been signed for us as a striker, but it’s interesting that Mansfield used him primarily as a centre back this season.
So basically we are saying that their defenders are probably better up front than our existing strikers!

From the club’s press release he’s been signed for us as a striker, but it’s interesting that Mansfield used him primarily as a centre back this season.
So basically we are saying that their defenders are probably better up front than our existing strikers!

Or, despite being rock bottom, our defenders are better than their makeshift defence (and I haven't checked the stats, but believe we've conceded fewer goals).

Not being funny, but is Stockley that good or expensive? He's sat on the bench of a team struggling in League One for most of this season. Not being flippant, but given the players we've brought in so far this window, I doubt a bench warmer for an average League One outfit is beyond BG's finances.

I think he might be expensive, at least in League Two terms. Charlton signed him from Preston, I believe, when they were still thinking they were too good to be in League One so he is probably currently on quite a lucrative contract.

I am not certain when his contract expires but it is possible that either (1) if a loan is proposed, Charlton would want his full wages on the lucrative contract met or (2) if a permanent move, Stockley has an agent who is asking for unrealistic terms, ignoring the fact that he has lost form after a long injury.

Can't see us signing both Stockley and Hawkins considering they're both target men but I suppose we are officially splashing the cash

I do hope Hawkins plays up front, at least until we are scoring regularly again. It sounds like he can put himslef about and maybe allow Mandron the freedom he seeks if the pair of them can be accommodated by playing a 4-4-2.
With Nichols and Dieng behind them along with either Adelakun or Harriott, we could then play one holding midfielder in front of a back four. To do that, we definitely need one more quality defensive full back to go alongside McKenzie, Ehmer and Wright/Baggott.

On the bench as harris starts with kashket as lone striker and ehmer pumps high balls to him ;-)

That thought entered my mind too, so often when teams acquire new players they start on the bench, however given our dismal form, NH regular slating of personnel and piss poor scoring record I do hope Saturday will be very much a new look side.

None of this 5 at the back crap either. I’d opt for a Mike bassett
4-4-fucking-2

Morris

Wright
Ehmer
Baggot (if fit - Alexander if not)
Mackenzie

Harriott
Williams
Dieng
Adelakun

Hawkins
Nichols

Up front or at the back ..... his ability to play either is a god send. Just what we need 😀

Wherever he plays, front or back, one good thing will be his presence at set pieces and corners.

Whether he is a striker helping out defend corners, or as a CB going up front for them, he will be a big aerial threat.

Our spine is also beginning to look like some of the better L2 teams. Big and threatening. 6” Morris back in goal. 6”2’ Dieng in the middle. 6”6’ Oliver probably up top.

Doubt we will be bullied so much now. Maybe add in Stockley and a big CB and we might actually be the bullies.