Have we got too many midfielders? | Vital Football

Have we got too many midfielders?

Can see Jones struggling for game time . Be interesting to see what his future is going to be with us.

I'd like to run a sweepstake for the first time on here that there are general complaints about squad rotation and how Appleton should be playing the "strongest" team in every game.

I'm going for 2.05 pm on 14th August.
Squad bingo. "Player X had a good game last Saturday and didn't deserve to be dropped". 2.05pm on 14th August.

Last season we probably missed out on automatic promotion because we didn't have enough players. Injury, illness, people having to play out of position, people playing with niggles or out on their feet, all added to the problem. So no, we don't have too many midfielders.

There will be enough matches, opportunities and twists to keep most of the players involved for a meaningful amount of game time. It will be nice to have options instead of having to try and cobble together a makeshift midfield.

Although the thread was started with good humour, the straight answer is yes, there is "overbooking" in midfield.

If I go by the Squad List thread we have seven players vying for 3 positions, but that should really be at least 8 as Edun is an all-rounder but he's in the Sam Curran category as he's a bowler/midfielder who can bat/play left back.

In fact we probably have 9 as Remy Nomdeplume is listed as a winger and I'm pretty sure that's not his true position either.

On the other hand, with the exception of Montsma our current centre back roster is comprised of either kids or crocks.

As there's a month till the transfer window ends, though, I'm sure there will be a couple of changes here and there, but some of those midfielders are going to be squad fillers.

It's a strong looking collection of squad fillers though if people think Jones is the one most likely to miss out.

I really can't see James Jones leaving.

It would leave us with no-one to model the new kits, shirts, boots, pants etc.....