Has SE got the fight in him | Vital Football

Has SE got the fight in him

Seemed really deflated on the Ipswich post match interviews
Not as deflated as me at full time.
I’m over it now, you’ll be pleased to know 😁
After all these years, I still take undeserved defeat badly.
When we’re shite, I can take it on the chin but didn’t deserve to come away from that with nothing.
I looked at the Ipswich forum and you’d think they are Real Madrid. Very little credit to Gills.

Agree hence the post, other comments in that he doesn’t believe he has lost four games in a row in his career, will speak with the Chairman but sounded despondent about getting intone else in due to financial reasons

Not as deflated as me at full time.
I’m over it now, you’ll be pleased to know 😁
After all these years, I still take undeserved defeat badly.
When we’re shite, I can take it on the chin but didn’t deserve to come away from that with nothing.
I looked at the Ipswich forum and you’d think they are Real Madrid. Very little credit to Gills.

Yes, the injuries and four defeats on the bounce (with no goals) - two where we were very poor two where we completely deserved at least a point - are a blow to us all, so can see why SE is down. Not sure why Ipswich rate themselves so highly - they had a 10 minute spell near the end of the first half where they kept the ball well and looked dangerous, but apart from that they were almost as poor as us in the first half and were poor in the second half, albeit we upped our game. They can count themselves very lucky to go away with an undeserved win against a very much under strength Gills side.

I think he has. He will come into the office fully determined to do his best to sort it out. Post match interviews not the best time to judge, too much emotion.

Mr Evans works on feeding his ego, and he's like this when that takes a bashing

However, in reality this could be a big plus for us as a team and club IF he can put he ego aside. There were good signs in his selection of McK and MacD - solid , but prob average Lge 1 players who work hard for the team, and the sort who all teams need to complement the 'stars' (Graham and Dempsey in our case)

This leaves only 2 key 'gaps' in the team;
i) left back; easy (but delayed) O'Connor must play there for 30+ games to learn and develop to be high-quality in that position;' have to go with back 3 till he's fit (inc Medley)
ii) a solid Centre-half ; priority to try a free-agent short-term till Jan, then sign (buy) - they are about in Lge 1 ; Raggett, Bolger, Baldwin de Wijs (Ehmer - oops sorry!) ; play Ogilvie there till we get one

and then stick to same 13-man selection, with 'kids' on bench
It needs calm, steady, consistent management - not Mr Evans's forte, but needs must if the club (and him) to compete in Top 10 as we should

And I do think Mr Evans can (and will!) see that - its his biggest test

Evans and Lambert have a special kind of dislike for one another. I have only ever heard them talk ill of one another. Defeats in those circumstances are worse but I bet he is shouting in training again already.

Impossible to have an ' us against the world ' mentality which SE and we thrive on with no fans. Sunderland at home on Saturday would have been the perfect game in a well attended Priestfield, big club, loads of injuries for us... exactly the type of game we'd get a result in when the chips are down. I imagine this frustrates Evans hugely, it certainly does for me. I haven't watched any games since Hull, can't get into it at all.

In answer to the question...yes I believe absolutely SE has the fight in him, brought up in Glasgow and managed hundreds of games in the football league before he has experience.

I agree this will be one of his biggest challenges yet, to break a losing run, without scoring goals, with lots of injuries, without a home crowd to suck the ball in the net when the chips are down.

I mentioned in another thread that SE by his standards behaved really well last season but seems to be reverting to type so far this season, anyone who watched ifollow vs Fleetwood will have heard him shouting and swearing at the ref at the end which made Joey Barton look civilised ha ha.

I've just read Evans comments on Kent Online about our defeat to Ipswich last night - “I think the referee has played a key part, which he shouldn’t,” said the Gills boss.
“My personal opinion was that I thought he was terrible. No doubt he will probably get a Championship game on Saturday.”

It sounds like SE is clutching at straws and just taking his frustration out as there was nothing wrong with the ref last night. We were unlucky not to get a point from the game for our second half performance though.

I had some sympathy with his annoyance at the referee on Saturday, but I think he's definitely clutching at straws last night - I think SE can feel very aggrieved about our injuries last night and that we played well in the second half and undeservedly lost to a late goal, but not the ref on this occasion. I also think the constant harping about finances and the playing the card that our budget is easily the lowest in the division is starting to grate with some of our fans and I am sure that it won't be long before it irks Scally too, if the results keep going the same way. Yes, we have a small, tight budget, made worse by Covid; yes, there are several teams at the top with budgets way largely than ours - we all know that, but I personally simply can't believe that our budget is below the likes of Accrington, Rochdale, Crewe and a number of others.

I had some sympathy with his annoyance at the referee on Saturday, but I think he's definitely clutching at straws last night - I think SE can feel very aggrieved about our injuries last night and that we played well in the second half and undeservedly lost to a late goal, but not the ref on this occasion. I also think the constant harping about finances and the playing the card that our budget is easily the lowest in the division is starting to grate with some of our fans and I am sure that it won't be long before it irks Scally too, if the results keep going the same way. Yes, we have a small, tight budget, made worse by Covid; yes, there are several teams at the top with budgets way largely than ours - we all know that, but I personally simply can't believe that our budget is below the likes of Accrington, Rochdale, Crewe and a number of others.
Our budget is a bit irrelevant when we have numerous injuries. Talk from another poster about signing another centre back is dream land. We will have to provide cover for Walsh .In the current circumstances he is likely to be a young keeper on loan problem with that is it would stop someone else being in the squad.Or someone willing to sign for almost nothing. I wonder what Stuart Nelson is doing at present?
A extra midfielder would be useful but he might have to make do .The two Mac's appear to have improved the midfield which is a plus but there is wafer thin cover.Luckily we have some versatility in the squad. Woods maybe needed in the next few weeks.
It is hard to see us beating Sunderland to be honest then there is a tough trip to Crewe that will become a must win game if things go to form.
This season was always going to be tough but injuries have made it a whole lot tougher .

Mr Evans works on feeding his ego, and he's like this when that takes a bashing

However, in reality this could be a big plus for us as a team and club IF he can put he ego aside. There were good signs in his selection of McK and MacD - solid , but prob average Lge 1 players who work hard for the team, and the sort who all teams need to complement the 'stars' (Graham and Dempsey in our case)

This leaves only 2 key 'gaps' in the team;
i) left back; easy (but delayed) O'Connor must play there for 30+ games to learn and develop to be high-quality in that position;' have to go with back 3 till he's fit (inc Medley)
ii) a solid Centre-half ; priority to try a free-agent short-term till Jan, then sign (buy) - they are about in Lge 1 ; Raggett, Bolger, Baldwin de Wijs (Ehmer - oops sorry!) ; play Ogilvie there till we get one

and then stick to same 13-man selection, with 'kids' on bench
It needs calm, steady, consistent management - not Mr Evans's forte, but needs must if the club (and him) to compete in Top 10 as we should

And I do think Mr Evans can (and will!) see that - its his biggest test
The choices have been made at centre back. There is no such thing at extending the budget now .So a experienced centre back signing simply is not going to happen. We have more than enough centre backs the money has been spent .

Re the OP, yes.

I think he is starting to "lose it" a bit on the sidelines. All I could hear last night was him constantly shouting and his criticism of the ref was ott.

Overall I'm still glad we've got him in spite of this poor run. There's too much short termism in football.

Re the shouting, it would be nice if it was even louder so as to drown out that tw#t of a commentator who keeps screaming as if we've scored when doing radio commentary.
Otherwise I'll just have to cough up the £10 to watch again.

Yeah, fair cop. Family commitment meant I couldn't watch until 2nd half and as we were getting battered up to then I was too tight to pay the tenner. Got rightly criticised by my son too for being a "fairweather" fan.
That’s the problem with the radio commentary.
We weren’t getting battered.
After 25 minutes, we had had seven corners and they had had two weak crosses but the commentary was still praising Sunderland knocking it about in their own half.
Bias doesn’t even cover it.
I actually turn it right down.

Five on the bounce now. No goals scored in 5. How deep is Scallys patience I wonder? I wonder if he's lost the dressing room? Thoughts anybody?
Down hearted sure the defensive players are possibly blaming forward players and and attacking players the defenders.As for Evans he has taken on a difficult task .Having a very young squad will always be a problem if results are not going well .Mistakes have been made .Injuries have not helped Jackson as captain for a while showed how we miss experience.In the current circumstances I find it very unlikely Evans will jump ship.Scally will not have the funds to sack him .So no nothing will happen.
I do think he needs to adjust his tactics. Last years team were able to do as asked defensively. This years are not doing it.For me that means we have to find a way to score a lot more goals.If we are constantly letting in two we need to score three .That means a total rethink. Scally has been fortunate in the past with managers as they have been our club men so compensation if any has been cheap.Evans is a totally different matter. Ogilvie and Tucker have not been playing well enough for anyone to be interested in January. That leaves a black hole in finances.

Last edited:
There are huge mitigating circumstances affecting our results at the moment. Rotten luck. We can’t sack a manager merely to halt a poor run of form.

Not to mention who could we bring in?!