Harry Kane Alternative | Vital Football

Harry Kane Alternative

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
As we start the New Year with some good form and some decent football from the team, especially from most of our attacking players I still feel we need another option...

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7522226">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Article written by Real Deal.

As we start the New Year with some good form and some decent football from the team, especially from most of our attacking players I still feel we need another option up front to help out Harry Kane.

Of course we have Janssen to do this but at this time, is he really good enough? I do like some of his skills. Even if they are basic. He is a hard worker, and he can hold the ball up well and bring others into play. He is strong and can unsettle defenders. He is certainly a good penalty taker.

Looking at Janssen when he was at AZ Alkmaar, most of his goals came from inside the area. With us, he seems to be doing a lot of work, sometimes running the flanks, or dropping deeper to be a creator. Are we getting the best out of him? Playing to his strength’s?

I think we can do more to help him with better supply, and leaving him to do what he is best at, being primarily a CF that unsettles defenders, links play around the penalty area and being on the end of crosses or passes.

He is clearly struggling and is very low in confidence. I just feel we are a level too good for him at this moment in time. I would like to see him stay for another season but feel with a third option it might actually help him.

As we are up there challenging for a Champions League place, or maybe even more as the season progresses, with a chance of winning a trophy, I feel we could do with a quick fix for the reminder of the campaign and maybe for next season.

One name springs to mind, Jermaine Defoe. I haven’t always been his biggest fan but do appreciate that when he is on form he is a good striker. If Kane gets injured, or struggles with form I do worry we might miss out on winning a trophy this season. With Defoe, he is proven goal scorer at this level, he knows the club, and he is also in very good form. He would easily be in our price range.

Would you want Defoe as an option for the next 18 months?

I agree that a decent backup to Kane could make a real difference from now to the end of the season, and much as I would love to see JD back, I couldn't see that deal happening.

For anyone to prise him away from Sunderland, they would need to pay 20 mil+ , why on earth would Sunderland accept any less ?

I wanted to go into more detail about Son being an alternative as well, talk about his strength's and weaknesses but when articles are too long people just don't read it.

80, I wrote this before I saw your Janssesn thread, I wouldn't have bothered otherwise. lol

Would have done another article about something else.

Cheers for the praise. I'm not very good at this sort of thing, way out of my comfort zone.

Big Chiv - 10/1/2017 09:31

I agree that a decent backup to Kane could make a real difference from now to the end of the season, and much as I would love to see JD back, I couldn't see that deal happening.

For anyone to prise him away from Sunderland, they would need to pay 20 mil+ , why on earth would Sunderland accept any less ?

Fair point Chiv, he is their best bet for survival, and that will save them 20m plus.

Just because of his age and connection with us we might be able to do a reasonable deal with them. Maybe send them a player back their way. Janssen. ;-)

I can't see the deal happening in all honesty, just feel we need a striker brought in who can hit the ground running and help Kane out. I can't see a better alternative than Defoe. Maybe Siggy or Austin.

The Blast From The Past is back and looking at a perennial problem at Spurs. That second striker.

Since we sold Pete and Roman we really haven't had a second or third reliable striker.

What is it with recent purchases. They seem to arrive and implode. Or regress. Or piss off MP.

Is it selection, or the curse of Adebayor?

...add to that why can't we grow our own Harry II, the sequel as well, as it seems

a) we can't attract or afford external top strikers and
b) any so called strikers we do get in , as you say, seem to implode, and forget their trade...