Happy Birthday To "The Gaffer" Mr Ron Saunders. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Happy Birthday To "The Gaffer" Mr Ron Saunders.

Yes and this Greta man's team was responsible for the only time I have shed tears at a football match, although supporting Villa for 54 years you would have thought there was a lot more.
Let me explain.....1981, Villa and Ipswich head to head for the title. Villa at home to Middlesboro', Peter Withe scores to make it 3-0 in torrential rain at Villa Park. At that time the Ipswich scores were put up on the "state of the art" digital scoreboard, but there was strong rumours going around the Holte End Man City, I think it was, had equalised at Ipswich. Unbelievable we were going to be Champions.....couldn't control the emotions, tears appeared and began to fall.............another message on the screen confirmed it was still 1-0, Middlesboro' hadn't scored.......so time to stop blubbing!!!
All the heartbreak was worth it as next week at Highbury....you know the rest!!!!!! VTID

Yes and this Great man's team was responsible for the only time I have shed tears at a football match, although supporting Villa for 54 years you would have thought there was a lot more.
Let me explain.....1981, Villa and Ipswich head to head for the title. Villa at home to Middlesboro', Peter Withe scores to make it 3-0 in torrential rain at Villa Park. At that time the Ipswich scores were put up on the "state of the art" digital scoreboard, but there was strong rumours going around the Holte End Man City, I think it was, had equalised at Ipswich. Unbelievable we were going to be Champions.....couldn't control the emotions, tears appeared and began to fall.............another message on the screen confirmed it was still 1-0, Middlesboro' hadn't scored.......so time to stop blubbing!!!
All the heartbreak was worth it as next week at Highbury....you know the rest!!!!!! VTID

Be it on a Tuesday night in 1974 at Hartlepool or a packed standing Holte End, anyone who sang 'Saunders, Saunders, Saunders,Saunders,Saunders,Saunders,Saunders' will never forget this great man. He was a truly great manager. Just typing this and reminiscing on his awesome years at Villa brings me to tears, how the hell the North Stand isn't called the Ron Saunders stand is beyond belief. Ron Saunders is singularly the greatest Villa manager of the modern era and possibly ever by a country mile and more. Anyone old enough to remember his era, properly remember it, is indeed privileged to have seen him and his wonderful teams at work. Shame on those who forced a premature end to his reign. Ron Saunders - a truly great Villan.

Yes 67, it is long gone the time when Sir Ron Saunders was commemorated by the club. Naming a stand after him is the least we should do.

Anyone remember a great thread started by BBJ a couple of years ago about our Villa memories? I can't remember the exact title but the word "Memories" was part of it!?

It contained some wonderful memories from older Villans that always go down well with any age reading.

I thought it would be nice to look at again particularly in the middle of yet another one of the boring international breaks but I can't find it in a search.

Any bright spark can be of assistance?

Happy Birthday to the greatest Villa manager I have ever seen. They all reckoned Paisley and Clough were the best managers of their generation. Ron can be counted in that company as far as I'm concerned. That death stare when someone asked him a daft question could freeze your blood.
I doubt we'll see his like again.

So sad to hear that he has advanced dementia. I'll never forget that answer he gave to a reporter who said, "do you think you can win the championship ? " to which Ron answered as quick as a flash "do you want to bet against us ?" Great man, greatest manager we'll ever have.
Thanks Ron

Brilliant manager, treated like shit by the then board. He told the board what to do...... respect Ron.

So sad to read the article...... I just don't know what else to say......

Met Ron on numerous occasions as a 12-13 year old. Scared the crap out of me. What a great manager though. Such a good fit. Happy birthday. And thanks for the wonderful memories.

Last edited:
We will never again see the likes of this man.

He is a man who I have always admired and respected.

Many years ago I met the great man at Villa Park and as soon as he entered the room I was immediately aware of his presence and when he fixed me with that stare and firm handshake I knew this was a special moment and one I will never forget.

Of course, over the years I never have forgotten that day - The day I met Mr. Ron Saunders. A great manager of Aston Villa Football Club.