Hacked ORF; Rubbish season. Sackem all. | Vital Football

Hacked ORF; Rubbish season. Sackem all.

Ihaventaclue

Vital Youth Team
Hacked off!
It was such a gorgeous day, but it all went wrong. The train was on time, Wigan town centre was awash with police, people were enjoying themselves and we darned well went and won.

Having sat through most of the home games and several away games, most of the time on the edge of my seat and as always spending the last 10 minutes biting my finger nails with anxiety, the last 2 games are going to be dull, tedious and mean nothing at all.

We’ve sat in Reading knowing that our victory was certain until Capt. Sam decided it would liven the season up if he gave them the winning goal. We were robbed of a win at QPR with a bloody great shove in Gavin’s back.

The online chorus of Cook out reached a crescendo. Then the mathematicians got their slide rules out and worked out that we could stay up, we will go down, and Bolton could creep into mid table and Rotherham were going to peak any moment now. Wigan would take the bottom 2 places.

Then good old (21 yr old) Cedric decided Wigan would be much better off with only 10 men on the pitch at Leeds. I met Cedric and he confided in me that it was decided that as a tactic Cookie had cooked up a brain wave and do something that Biesla would never have seen from his step ladder peeping over the wall at Euxton. Lull them into a sense of false security and get sent off. It was a masterstroke from a genius. On the Eavesway coach to Leeds Cedric drew the short straw. I met Cedric in the ‘Kids Zone’ (!) on Monday. I promised confidentiality and assured him that he and I could have a life long secret. We turned away from the media, put our hands over our mouths and I said “Cedric, did you ‘hand ball at Leeds”? With emphasis and in a broad Ivorian accent he said with assertion “NON, I deeeed Not”. And that proves the point. Leeds didn’t know what to do. A masterclass in a game plan, as only ever seen by Mr Cook. (What I can tell you Mr Cook, is that it is your fault I am in trouble at work. The quality of my work was its usual high standard, but very slow. Patients had to wait, and I had to restart the machine often)!

Having spent the first part of the season enjoying table topping form and becoming the outside favourites to get into the playoffs the Lads were concerned that they were peaking too soon and whilst it was fun to see some wins us fans were getting a bit too comfortable. Injuries to key guys meant we omitted a spell of tedious mid table mediocrity. As if on a black run in Les Arcs we slid rapidly down to the bottom, stopping just in time before we got to join 2 others at the bottom, although for 10 minutes we did pop in to say ‘hi’ to our friends from Ipswich and Bolton.

The game against Preston reflected the season. Some real excitement, some great football, some very rare rubbish football, the sense that even at 2 up we could still lose. Some grit and determination and some hidden apathy. The refs still hate us, even though a Preston guy saw red. The ref has since admitted it was a mistake. Like the last 2 games, the game ended with a sense of relaxation as we hauled our way up the table to a position of mid table mediocrity; a station we didn’t stop at earlier on in the season.

It’s been a great season. Lots of fun. Drinking good beer with my Saturday ‘football friends’ and meeting new ones (PE), having really enjoyable times in ES7. Seeing brilliant football, tolerating rubbish stuff, being hacked off to have travelled so far to see yet another loss, watching the spectacle of maybe one of the best players to play for Wigan. How Reece gets everywhere all the time, steals the ball from everyone, lunges forward, scores goals, saves goals and never gives up. A bit like David Perkins. The eternal flame finally flickered out. Above all though was meeting Gavin Massey’s mum! (I wonder if the feeling was mutual)?!!
It’s all come good in the end! Is there any other club like Wigan? Wigan FC has it all. It’s like any turbulence – horrible when it happens, but such a sense of relief when you land, preceded by eager optimistic anticipation before take off.

The only reason why I wish it had gone to the last game is because I was looking forward to seeing the Millwall fans fight amongst themselves again. But we can’t have it all. The only song the Fat Lady had to sing was ‘We Will Survive”! I love her.

Cookie out; sack all the players. Sell the club.