Guy Whittingham | Page 8 | Vital Football

Guy Whittingham

Chix - 17/11/2013 11:00

That's what we did Rug .. He's called Macca ...

We have a First Team Coach and Manager and an Asst manager .. How many more do you feel we need lol .. Personally I'd got for a Witch doctor and a soothsayer !

I am not saying this is what we need to do Chixy, said its what others are saying but an argument against is 'we cannot afford it'...

In which case, if thats not working, we get a new manager in then?

In my opinion, we can't stay in League 2, we have to get out of it ASAP. Guy Whittingham has done a splendid job but he's not the m,an to get us to kick on and make the playoffs at the very least.

Another problem - do the board actually have a clue what to do? They seem more interested in painting the toilets and handing out rubbish plastic wallets for season ticket holders......

I was chatting to someone the other day that was in the 'Director's Lounge' at the Burton game and said that our illustrious leaders were clearly giving it the big one as if they were running a much bigger club.

stubbsy, firstly good to hear from you!

I cannot comment on what the board are/arent doing.

From the outside looking in tho they do seem to be doing a decent job tho I would say and have made the right sounds about this and that and implimented things that have benefited us but are now at a crossroads of their first MASSIVE decision arent they...

Does Whittingham stay or go?

Is it better the devil you know than the devil you dont etc...

I would agree that I am far from convinced that Whittingham is that man to take us forward and have been more and more of that opinion as much as I want him to be. The 'getting us' and this and that just isnt enough I dont think.

Promotion in the next year or two is VERY MUCH central to the future plans we have.

This season around midtable, top 10 would sit ok with me but a few more defeats and we start to look in trouble again :10:

The reality is that if we are not looking like we are showing some signs of going forward we will have far less take up a ST next season and that will have a knock-on impact too.

When the season started & people were asked their hopes for this season quite a lot said they would be happy to finish 1 place above the relegation places. Now we are in November & Pompey are just 6 points below the play off spots with a HOME game in hand and they want to sack the manager. Weve had 3 poor games only 1 in the league and the manager needs to go? Whats changed in the last couple of weeks. :69: :69: :69: :69:

Lets be honest lorna its not just the 3 defeats is it?

Its the manor of them and how cracks had previously just been papered over before them...

Well let's put it this way!
For once I can almost entitle myself to an opinion at least from a home perspective.
So! Before I start let me just say I've enjoyed the atmosphere more this season than in a long while, but...

More often than not, we've been pants! We've squeaked results and we've been beaten soundly, on the odd occasion (Rochdale) we've been superb! But I have to say hand on heart I've walked away thinking it was pretty crap! I've enjoyed it perversely but it still doesn't disguise the fact I'm honest enough to say it's been bloody awful more often than not!
I actually think it might be the fact I enjoy the pub/company/beer I enjoy more than the game.
On the rare occasion that Guy/the team get it right it's good to watch and enjoyable, far more often than not it's dire frustrating and at times just sheer bloody awful. I've watched my beloved Whitchurch Utd in the Sydenhams Premier league this season with my youngest too and have to say I get as much pleasure from that as I do spending four times the amount at Fratton. The difference in standard isn't that far away even though there is 5 divisions difference, but by gad it's closer than we are to the standard of the Prem which is only four away!

So there we are that's my season, enjoying it but not quite sure why!

mslorna48 - 18/11/2013 16:24

When the season started & people were asked their hopes for this season quite a lot said they would be happy to finish 1 place above the relegation places. Now we are in November & Pompey are just 6 points below the play off spots with a HOME game in hand and they want to sack the manager. Weve had 3 poor games only 1 in the league and the manager needs to go? Whats changed in the last couple of weeks. :69: :69: :69: :69:

:1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1: :1:

That's exactly how I feel - I have found an ally :17:

dedmans - 17/11/2013 11:32

Good idea Chix. This is a true story

In the greatest days of the British Empire, a new commanding officer was sent to a jungle outpost to relieve the retiring colonel.

After welcoming his replacement and showing the courtesies (gin and tonic, cucumber sandwiches) that protocol decrees, the retiring colonel said,
"You must meet Captain Smithers, my right-hand man, God, he's really the strength of this office. His talent is simply boundless."

Smithers was summoned and introduced to the new CO, who was surprised to meet a toothless, hairless, scabbed and pockmarked specimen of humanity, a particularly unattractive man less than three foot tall.

"Smithers, old man, tell your new CO about yourself."

"Well, sir, I graduated with honours from Sandhurst, joined the regiment and won the Military Cross and Bar after three expeditions behind enemy lines. I've represented Great Britain in equestrian events and won a Silver Medal in the middleweight division of the Olympics. I have researched the history of..."

Here the colonel interrupted, "Yes, yes, never mind that Smithers, the CO can find all that in your file. Tell him about the day you told the witch doctor to get f*cked."

Love it .. that's great Dedders

We more or less have a squad of average players :36:

We have a manager that's struggling to get average out of them :36:

Simple really. You don't have to be a football aficionado to sum up the above.

Answer 1.) If you want success, weed out the less than average and get a manager who can motivate the average to above average :35:

Answer 2.) If you want stability, the status quo, keep the present squad and manager, and hope that the law of "averages" works in your favour every now and again :35:

Its not rocket science. In fact its not science at all. Its plain bloody obvious and commonsense. That 4-1 bloody nose delivered by Oxford on the first day of the season was no one off. It was a wake up call to let us know that this league could be rather difficult to get out of. Especially when the momentum's gone and people start looking for quick fixes.

I'm still a Pompey supporter though... and yes I am glad we still have a club :17:

I said a while back about the Christmas period being a tough one, it's proving to be so already! I honestly think if results don't come soon, no matter how scrappy they are, something needs to change. Be it the man in charge, captaincy, or someone from the backroom staff; this cannot continue. Conceding 9 goals in a week, and being dumped out of two cups is bad enough, but to concede them in the manner we did, and the opposition we played against has left me utterly disgusted. After all, the 'scrappy' approach works for other clubs, so why don't we adapt it to our play?

I'm not saying lets chuck Whittingham out now, I'm saying lets wait till Christmas when the games are coming thick and fast, testing the depth of the squad. If results don't change, then I'm afraid it may be time for Whittingham to depart from the managerial role, and perhaps step back to coaching.

When Awford and Whittingham took over the two times we were without a manager, the results were coming in week-in, week-out. Maybe that was Awford's influence? After all, he's had the experience of managing the Youth team, who are continuing to be successful, and are quite franking romping to victories. Maybe Awford is the man behind the scenes who hasn't made a contribution? Should he? Would he? All questions to be discussed by the board, who also seem bitterly disappointed with the display on Saturday, with Ian McInnes walking out after the fourth goal.

Time for a wake up call?

Some good points Harry and Corny ... I've been saying for a long time that we need to TELL Awford to help with the first team .... Hardyman can cover the Academy for a while .. not as if he hasn't done it before

Perhaps Awford is too intelligent, Chix. He knows he could be on a hiding to nothing (like Guy) trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

He's getting results without the pressures that Guy's suffering so he's probably happy where he is.

My experience in my working life was that most people don't know their capability level and push for a promotion too far.

Maybe Awford knows his level.

Not for one moment suggesting that Awford is a coward, far from it, but perhaps he senses that perhaps Whittingham might not be in his role for too much longer...

One you start stepping into the 1st team picture 'if' changes are made that could see you join the departees... That being said 'if' Whittingham does go sometime soon I cannot see the board sanctioning the removal of the entire coaching staff anyway due to the pay offs.

Whatever we think, or say, that dreaded vote of confidence seems to have come about and if results are not seen soon Whittingham will be asked to go, if he doesnt offer to do so...

Has any actually thought that Awford might just genuinely prefer working with the Youth set up??

penton - 20/11/2013 15:47

Has any actually thought that Awford might just genuinely prefer working with the Youth set up??

That's what I was referring to, above, Penton

"He's getting results without the pressures that Guy's suffering so he's probably happy where he is."

Plenty do Rug! They find it a far greater sense of achievement, unmasking the next George Best or the next Paul Scholes, or whoever. There's a big part of me that can see the attraction of that, seeing your hard work go on and become a professional footballer or maybe just maybe a International star.

Just a thought

penton - 20/11/2013 15:58

Plenty do Rug! They find it a far greater sense of achievement, unmasking the next George Best or the next Paul Scholes, or whoever. There's a big part of me that can see the attraction of that, seeing your hard work go on and become a professional footballer or maybe just maybe a International star.

Just a thought

Makes sense, just so long as they get a chance and this is something that is all the more important that we are doing in the years ahead!

I do hope we are not going to move away from remembering that too much and do not just keep going for the 'ready made' players in the hope of getting instant results...

Lets face it, to a degree, that has hardly worked this season and I cannot help but think (sorry to keep banging on about it) if things would have been any worse giving those that played a part last season got a chance this season?

Hopefully come the new year they still will.

Mark Mudie's reporting rumours that GWs gone.

Anyone else heard anything?