Grimsby | Vital Football

Grimsby

Red Wimp

Vital Football Legend
Been a long time (and I'm talking 30 years) since I've been to Grimsby under my own steam.
Any good & safe places to park, still got the scars from the 80's

Been a long time (and I'm talking 30 years) since I've been to Grimsby under my own steam.
Any good & safe places to park, still got the scars from the 80's

Seriously, it is still side street parking if your driving. Best bet is to get their early (very early). If the ground is on your right then any of the left hand side streets have easier exit at game end rather than going back onto Grimsby road (Barcroft street, Lovett street etc).

It isn't like the '80s but it still isn't my favourite away game of the season.

It isn't like the '80s but it still isn't my favourite away game of the season.

As far as I recall the Imps only played at BP once in the '80s that was when Steve Sherwood gave away a pen in a 0-1 loss. Humbersides's finest held the Imps followers back, but didn't stop Cod glitterati invading the pitch and pelting the away faithfull with coins. Its a nasty place.

As far as I recall the Imps only played at BP once in the '80s that was when Steve Sherwood gave away a pen to lose 0-1. When the police held the Imps followers back, but didn't stop Cod glitterati invading the pitch and pelting the away faithfull with coins.

I was there that day. The police just let them get on with it and attack us.

In the past I’ve taken the road that runs parallel to Grimsby Rd (Brereton Ave) and found spaces on little cul de sacs off there but had to arrive early. I’ll be going by train though as I did last season...driving to Barnetby, not far for me, and train to Cleethorpes from there.

As far as I recall the Imps only played at BP once in the '80s that was when Steve Sherwood gave away a pen in a 0-1 loss. Humbersides's finest held the Imps followers back, but didn't stop Cod glitterati invading the pitch and pelting the away faithfull with coins. Its a nasty place.
I was there that day as well....horrible day, fenced in with no escape and like you said coined mercilessly with nothing done to prevent it

Remember that day. A police dog chomped on a particularly obnoxious and mouthy Cod after the game, on a piece of anatomy that batsmen normally protect. I couldn't stop laughing for days.

We
It made it all worth while when 15 or so years later Yeo smashed a brace into the Pontoon goals.[/QUOTE
Certainly did EB, then a third after they pulled it back to 2-2 and Toner finished them off in front off the imps faithful, whilst wearing white boots if memory serves....funny how small details stick in your mind isn’t it

Absolutely, small details meant Toner’s white boots
Everyone had to cover their heads and eyes and several people got hit. I think it got quite tasty on Grimsby Road afterwards. Thankfully a thing of the past now

It was arguably more imtimidating before segregation was brought in,particulatly in the early 70's. TBH City ,in my experience,never used to take many fans there. City's first game at BP with segregation was in 1977 which we won 2-1 in Graham Taylors reign. Segregation has been in place ever since.

Just to put some meat on the bones of us plastics. Both teams spent six seasons in the National League (one season apart). Gy. never finished outside the top half and challenged for promotion in four of the six. Average league finish 6th.

Imps never finished in top half until promoted and had four relegation battles. Average league finish 13th.

Average league attendance across the respective 138 home matches:- Grimsby 3,605 - Imps 2,867.

Make of that what you will.

It was arguably more imtimidating before segregation was brought in,particulatly in the early 70's. TBH City ,in my experience,never used to take many fans there. City's first game at BP with segregation was in 1977 which we won 2-1 in Graham Taylors reign. Segregation has been in place ever since.
I don’t recall going there in the seventies but I do remember, probably around the same time, my dad taking me as a young lad to the old show ground Scunthorpe,I don’t think there was any segregation there either but most city fans were behind one goal and were joined by Grimsby fans (Town were probably playing away) presumably supporting us against the iron. I think it took until half time before all he’ll broke loose. That’s probably one of my earliest memories following City. Not sure if that was the game Botham played

The "Lincoln fans" thread on the fishy is 9 pages at the mo and full of the usual drival. My favourite so far reads.
"Good luck to the Imps but with all the families and young kids about it’s a tad embarrassing the way the Cowleys conduct themselves with the officials........ bad sportsmanship and all that........"

Yes, if only the Cowleys took a leaf out of Jolleys book and treated the kids with.......... Oh wait....