• Mid table

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • Bottom half, avoiding relegation

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Relegated

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't think it's a case of getting promoted straight away. It's more a case of bringing in someone with a similar philosophy of Martinez.
Whoever the manager had been he'd have had a lot on his plate that season. With the European campaign and eventual cup run.
But the season after wouldn't have been the disaster it was.
In the Prem we went from being a small club to a medium sized one. Even though we've regressed we're not as small as when Whelan took over.
I think we missed an opportunity to keep growing and now we'd be selling out the home stands.
All the young kids who grew up with us being a Prem club have grown up, even though some have stopped going most still turn up to games.
Eventually bringing their kids.
Those adults who stopped going would have carried on attending.
At worst we could have moved between the Prem and Championship but with the finances involved we'd have been set up financially for a good few years.
Leading to investment in the academy and maintenance on the ground.

What a poor appointment Coyle was and what it has cost us.
Doubt very much Martinez would have got us back up.

I think Maloney is the first manager for a while who wants to get us playing some decent football. The youngsters we have should also develop under him. I was told today a few premier league clubs are already monitoring Sam Tickle (Man City included) and have been watching Charlie Hughes for a while.

I think Maloney is the first manager for a while who wants to get us playing some decent football. The youngsters we have should also develop under him. I was told today a few premier league clubs are already monitoring Sam Tickle (Man City included) and have been watching Charlie Hughes for a while.

Yes am sure given they have just sold James Trafford to burnley for 19 million who is younger than him they would love Sam Tickle. Where do people get this rubbbish from?

Burnley have just paid £19M for 20yr old James Trafford who has played 45 league one games for Noblot and 30 odd league two games for them and Stanley on loan.
If someone comes in for our best players now, you would hope having a billionaire as owner, proper fees will be asked for them.

At the time I thought we should've gone for Poyet who was about to leave Brighton after they lost in the play offs.

I thought he was a good fit as he had success in the Championship, knew the league, was used to working with lots of different nationalities in the dressing room and played passing football.

Coyle can come accross very personable in interviews so I can see him winning Whelan round on his personality but he was stylistically never a good fit and probably shouldn't have ever been considered on that basis.

We were favourites to win the league that season and we had a strong squad but just had the wrong manager.

But it's not just Coyle, we're hired too many managers who were bad fits. Sometimes you might hire a good manager on paper, but it doesn't work as expected - it's unfortunate but you tried to maximiseyour chance if success. But if you hire someone bad on paper in the first place you're taking a high risk of it failing and too often we've gone for mad gambles rather than sensible options.
Such as Kolo when the sensible option would have been to employ a guy who already knows the club & what the club means.

Such as Kolo when the sensible option would have been to employ a guy who already knows the club & what the club means.
Yep, feel that the only reason that the Bahranis appointed him was because he was someone that people back home had heard of.

Often wonder what would have happened if we had got a decent manager at that point and finished mid table, would they still be here or not

Yep, feel that the only reason that the Bahranis appointed him was because he was someone that people back home had heard of.

Often wonder what would have happened if we had got a decent manager at that point and finished mid table, would they still be here or not
Probably not when you look back at things now. However much I defended them & wanted to give them every opportunity to turn things around, they clearly did not have the finances that are needed to run a football club the way it should be.

Things happen for a reason. We now have Danson. And whilst I do not expect him to splash his cash around like toffee, I feel a lot more reassured with him at the helm.

Doubt very much Martinez would have got us back up.

Maybe not the 1st season down but he'd have brought in players to play his way and that would've given us a better chance the season after.

But the point is Coyle was a disastrous appointment. A manager who's football style was completely different to the players at his disposal.