Grant Smith | Vital Football

Grant Smith

The Imposter

Vital 1st Team Regular
Heard he could be on his way to AFC Fylde. Could he be the first ‘proper’ departure of the summer? Will make things very interesting if he goes and is then followed by Gilks.

Wonder if we read anything into the club not wishing Gilks a happy birthday on social media or including him in their Eardley and GTF playing Premier League football tweet.

In the games he did play, he did nothing wrong.
Never brilliant but neither did he mess up at all.
Vickers has had some outstanding performances but also the odd duff one and has obviously suffered repeatedly from injuries.
Gilks was superb for 2nd half of season and a level above the other two in ability and experience. He was the key player who earned us the title.

Who will still be with us come the start of the season? I hope Gilks

Smith is a decent keeper but quite raw. He won't be happy as a 2nd choice let alone 3rd if Gilks re-signs so I wouldn't blame him for looking elsewhere. If he stayed though he'll do a good job for us when called upon

maybe we are high enough to be doing one year loans to the vanarama now - for the development of our 3rd choice keeper. especially if they pay his salary.

Smith's solid enough. Had a couple of mares this season (home to Crawley was one IIRC) but he doesn't seem to have that aura about him that'd you'd associate top GK's with (Gilks seemed to have it).

Smith is a reasonable keeper but Gilks was a significant upgrade when he came in. The only thing I would say is that Smith has only played a third of a season in the League, so has had little chance to improve in match situations. The problem he now has is that we are a division higher next season.

In the games he did play, he did nothing wrong.
Never brilliant but neither did he mess up at all.
Vickers has had some outstanding performances but also the odd duff one and has obviously suffered repeatedly from injuries.
Gilks was superb for 2nd half of season and a level above the other two in ability and experience. He was the key player who earned us the title.

Who will still be with us come the start of the season? I hope Gilks
When you say he didn't mess up what was the home game he missed his kick and gave a goal away.
That said he was competent enough, is he good enough for a L1 top team not sure

There’s some good keepers available, I think Smith is probably not league 1 (yet) and could we possibly be letting 2 go and bringing 1 in?

(I think Archer was let go by Millwall for example plus there’ll be other good keepers available.)

When you say he didn't mess up what was the home game he missed his kick and gave a goal away.
That said he was competent enough, is he good enough for a L1 top team not sure

Well did fine in the games i saw, i should have made clear.
Didn't make the Newport home game.
Or did I ? It's all a blur now.

reading all the above comments, we all seem to have forgotten that comparing gilks with smith and vickers is not really a comparison because Gilks SHOULD be of a far better quality comparing as I would be if id already played premiership,championship etc. League 2 a walk in the park !!!

reading all the above comments, we all seem to have forgotten that comparing gilks with smith and vickers is not really a comparison because Gilks SHOULD be of a far better quality comparing as I would be if id already played premiership,championship etc. League 2 a walk in the park !!!

Surely that is just the point people are making.

Ability and experience make Gilks a better goalkeeper than Smith.

Opponents won't take it easy on Smith because he ain't as good as Gilks.

Smith isn't L1 standard, but I wouldn't expect him to be given his current career status.

However, what we will need is a L1 standard 'keeper.

And if we can reach the stage of challenging at the upper end of League 1 then a Championship standard keeper would be required.
In Gilks we already have one. Or will still have if he stays.
Silence on that though as there seems to be on any player in or out.