Goodbye Lamela | Page 4 | Vital Football

Goodbye Lamela

Wow what a polarizing player! I love it!

All of you know how much I enjoyed watching Lamela play. He was probably the best 'off the bench'....'holy shit we need something!!!' player we have ever had. Yes, injuries limited him...but I don't think we should forget what his role should have been and that he was thrust into roles not suited for him.

BL - for this Spurs squad of clowns, Lamela was the guy we went to when things were not working and we needed a change...and he flourished in that role. When injuries and or ineptitude forced us into a lull for extended periods of time...it was Lamela and Lucas...and that one good season from Sissoko that saved us. People forget that too easily.

I have said it many times...Give me Lamela's heart and passion and put that in the chest and mentality of the other 10 on the pitch and we would have won the damn league and the CL.

I wish him the best at Sevilla...great place to land!

Wow what a polarizing player! I love it!

All of you know how much I enjoyed watching Lamela play. He was probably the best 'off the bench'....'holy shit we need something!!!' player we have ever had. Yes, injuries limited him...but I don't think we should forget what his role should have been and that he was thrust into roles not suited for him.

BL - for this Spurs squad of clowns, Lamela was the guy we went to when things were not working and we needed a change...and he flourished in that role. When injuries and or ineptitude forced us into a lull for extended periods of time...it was Lamela and Lucas...and that one good season from Sissoko that saved us. People forget that too easily.

I have said it many times...Give me Lamela's heart and passion and put that in the chest and mentality of the other 10 on the pitch and we would have won the damn league and the CL.

I wish him the best at Sevilla...great place to land!

Could not have said it better myself

I can't recall how many times he'd overun with the ball or beat one and beat two then try and do it again, but end up giving the ball away when a simple pass should have been the option, in the same way, it's clear why he was so popular with the faithful as he'd come on as a sub, all fired up and was on a mission to save/change a game and would run and tackle like a madman - it was 'his' superpower, that and of course the Rabona, he'd have a decent cameo, the clamour for him to start would rise and he'd get his chance only to normally disappoint.

He was the epitome of a high energy sub with little subtlety, and less footballing intelligence, of course sometimes it would work, but it failed far more and far too often.

How we ever didn't figure out his weird body mechanics pointed to deeper problems when we bought him, absolutely baffled me - I once spoke privately to Sherwood about this - I can't repeat what he said, needless to say I think his view was we'd bought a crock and we'd been badly let down by the medics.

I have affection for him as he was a real trier and he deserved to have a pro career, but not with us - it will be interesting to see how he does at Sevilla and I wish him all the best, but truth be told I feel greatly relieved he's now moved on.

I hope (perhaps niavely) that since we bought him that our scouting dept have learned that it's more than aggressive ambition you need to succeed in the high tempo prem.

I wish him all the good luck in the World, he deserves it.

We were not only let down by the medics but also Baldini & our scouts. We chose Lamela to replace the hottest property in world football. Epic failure. It was clear soon after he arrived that he had issues in his game and wasn't good enough; his lack of subtlety and football intelligence you mention are on the mark. Expressing these concerns to the masses on his bandwagon fell on deaf ears. These and other recurring deficiencies have become his normal for eight years! I've always felt we were missing that extra ingredient Lamela's lack of guile and football brain deprived us.

I agree with that . All I go on is from experience and what I have heard from people I trust in football
You don't trust Paratici then? You said he was a great (or words to that effect) coup by Levy when he was appointed.

What is it that the people you trust have that Paratici and his extensive network don't?

Wow an informed and balanced debate between Muttley and Spursex. Bravo. Not the kind of discussion we ever witnessed on Lamela threads previously. It was usually full of bias, nastiness and arguments.

Anyhow, thank you for your services Coco. I for one appreciate everything you did. I said it from day one that your pass and move, quick thinking football didnt click with the likes of Dele and Kane which made your passes look poor. They quite obviously didnt welcome you. If only we had brought you a Totti to work with your quick thinking. Only now are we starting to see that some of these players are the ones stiffling talent by their lack of movement and i dare say you wont be the last to get this treatment.

You came to us as a skillful player capable of so much but you were broken. Almost irreparably broken. We put you back together and you became a squad player which is a shame. Go and enjoy yourself and you will always be welcome back at spurs (As a guest, good god not as a player....)
It's not how I remember it. In the 15/16 season the movement and intricate play between Eriksen, Dele, Kane and Lamela was a joy to behold. But his hip injuries ravaged the following couple of seasons and he was never the same player after that. That and the emergence of Son who brought a different dimension to our play.

You don't trust Paratici then? You said he was a great (or words to that effect) coup by Levy when he was appointed.

What is it that the people you trust have that Paratici and his extensive network don't?

I trust his record. I am still pleased we signed him I just don't agree with this one. I personally do not think Gil is as good as people are saying. Just because you disagree with one thing does not mean I do not like him. Being of with us is going to be a harder job than his job at juve

I think we spend too much time obsessing about young players like Lamela and Sanchez where we spent big but haven't hit the heights. I've always said this, but I will always applaud Levy and co for showing a risk and reward mentality. They don't show enough of it and it is why we fail so much. You have to be in it to win it right?

At the other end of the spectrum, they need shooting when they buy older players like Sissoko on transfer deadline day at 11pm. They need shooting when they offer guys a 26 year old Lamela a new contract after after having him for a few years. They need shooting when they buy failed 25 year olds like Moura and Aurier for £25m. Waste of money and so predictable that they would fail.

One other thing I've always said is that sometimes you have to pay over the odds for the young players and make sure you get them before an entire market is after them. So if we have slightly overpaid for Gil, then that is exactly what we should be doing. It's what we should have done with Sess, Aarons, White, Bellingham, Olise etc but we often don't have the minerals. Even Ndombele was a year later than we should have signed him in my mind. Ditto Grealish when he lost in the playoff final and had to do another year in the Championship.

I think we spend too much time obsessing about young players like Lamela and Sanchez where we spent big but haven't hit the heights. I've always said this, but I will always applaud Levy and co for showing a risk and reward mentality. They don't show enough of it and it is why we fail so much. You have to be in it to win it right?

At the other end of the spectrum, they need shooting when they buy older players like Sissoko on transfer deadline day at 11pm. They need shooting when they offer guys a 26 year old Lamela a new contract after after having him for a few years. They need shooting when they buy failed 25 year olds like Moura and Aurier for £25m. Waste of money and so predictable that they would fail.

One other thing I've always said is that sometimes you have to pay over the odds for the young players and make sure you get them before an entire market is after them. So if we have slightly overpaid for Gil, then that is exactly what we should be doing. It's what we should have done with Sess, Aarons, White, Bellingham, Olise etc but we often don't have the minerals. Even Ndombele was a year later than we should have signed him in my mind. Ditto Grealish when he lost in the playoff final and had to do another year in the Championship.
Totally spot on!
We need to chase upcoming young talent. Get them through the doors and nurture them. Of course some will fail but some will explode and as they are young, we can mould them into the types of players we crave.
Ndombele was a player we needed to push for but he hasn’t worked out. Same for Sanchez.
But for every Ndombele and Sanchez there is a Bale, Erikson or Modric.
We are seeing some top quality young players move to our rivals and it’s a concern that we do not seem at all interested.

Yep me and you have always been on the same page with this philosophy.

I doubt I will ever change from it either.

It's basically the Ajax method.

I'd have had Dele gone over him all day, Lamela a far better impact/squad player and less likely to kick up a fuss if he ain't playing.

Shame he's gone but can't argue he's one of the ones we were due to get rid of along with...Lloris, Aurier, Dier, Sanchez, Winks, Sissoko, Dele. I'm guessing all them will be gone in the next year or 2 max.

Well done Lamela on scoring a double on your debut for Sevilla.
All that says to me is that he should have left the club at least a couple of years earlier. 3 goals and 2 assists in the last two Premier League seasons. A total of 17 goals in 177 appearances over 8 years.

Sometimes a player just needs to be at the right club to excel. Hopefully he has found that club.

All that says to me is that he should have left the club at least a couple of years earlier. 3 goals and 2 assists in the last two Premier League seasons. A total of 17 goals in 177 appearances over 8 years.

Sometimes a player just needs to be at the right club to excel. Hopefully he has found that club.

One was a lucky deflection, the other a sliding tap in unopposed. He did play well from the clips I saw . He came on as a sub I think. One game with goals like that tell me very little.

Well done Lamela on scoring a double on your debut for Sevilla.

When I read your post, my immediate thought was I bet one of those goals is a tap-in. True enough, it is, confirmed by Lamela's Vital Spurs spokesperson NRD. Lol.
His stats are poor, taking into account our dominant teams during his time here. Only Spurs can answer why he was here so long, being so average.