Goaltending | Vital Football

Goaltending

bramred

Vital Newbie
Since I am unable to watch matches live and see only the Highlights, etc., I wonder about the quality of the goaltending. It seems that in every match our goalie lets in a soft goal and that sounds like the case again today. Even the first goal Brentford scored was from a tight angle and probably should have been saved. But all season long, our defence - when they're not hurt - has had to play in front of shaky goaltending. As much as it's admirable to play the juniors, is Smith the answer to our goaltending in this crunch time?

I read somewhere that he's a bit smaller than average, but my real point is that the defence needs to have confidence in the stopper; without it, the midfield and strikers are always worried about the opposition, rather than concentrating on their own attacking abilities or being the best they can be. When putting a team together, you build from the back, starting with the best goaltender you can get and then defence, etc. Forest seems to have lost it's way. I was hoping they would have sorted this issue in the last transfer window, along with a decent midfielder.

Even Henderson didn't seem all that great, from the Highlights and Match Reports I've seen; I thought Vlad was the answer at first, after saving a couple of penalties but I don't know what has happened to him after that.

Can't we have an emergency loan from a Premier team, in the case of a goalie?

I guess I'm just sharing the disappointment of today's result and this season in general, having been a Reds supporter for over 50 years.

Goal tending?
Well its probably do to with our dee-fence letting the offence in too easily and offering little protection to the goaltender.

Lets face it if we can't score against Burton with McCormack, Brereton and Clough starting then we don't deserve anything anyway. The backbone of our side is our issue. Fox,Worrall, Vaughan and whoever else's turn it is in a central position lacks the quality other sides have in this league. To make things worse we don't play an out and out winger. The plus is we are giving good youngsters game time and if we did somehow manage to stay up then a good manager, who was allowed to manage, could surround them with experienced players who have a history of not being injured all the time. That is possibly dreaming too much though .

Ingy - 12/3/2017 06:08

Lets face it if we can't score against Burton with McCormack, Brereton and Clough starting then we don't deserve anything anyway. The backbone of our side is our issue. Fox,Worrall, Vaughan and whoever else's turn it is in a central position lacks the quality other sides have in this league. To make things worse we don't play an out and out winger. The plus is we are giving good youngsters game time and if we did somehow manage to stay up then a good manager, who was allowed to manage, could surround them with experienced players who have a history of not being injured all the time. That is possibly dreaming too much though .

Agree again ingy, we've lacked a proper midfielder from day1 and yet we've messed about signing all sorts of players we don't use. We have a good batch of youngsters coming through but they're learners and would do much better playing in a decent side along with better players than we have. I'm still of the opinion that most of the players we have on the books are not good enough for this division and certainly not good enough to mentor the Academy kids.
And by "not good enough" I'm including players who seem to be nearly permanently injured but who in their day would have done the job.

I've just read your post again and realize that I''m beginning to sound like a parrot, sorry about that.

Other than Rotherham Stojkovic has conceded more goals per minute than any other keeper in the Championship.

I don't think Smith has done too badly. He made some important saves against Brighton which would have changed the game otherwise.

Our midfield and defence completely exposed him against Brentford.

Our midfield is the problem, backwards and forwards

He needs to get Teixeira in the middle because he is a real box to box player, either that or blood edser

As soon as Smith plays 5 league games then can't get an emergency loan from premier league with evtimov and the clown around

Apollyon - 12/3/2017 11:02

He needs to get Teixeira in the middle because he is a real box to box player, either that or blood edser

Not sure Teixeira is the answer in that regard. He seems like a no 10 (another one!), who has a trick or two. Not sure running back to goal is his thing.

At the moment, we have no worth in the team. Against Burton we had Osborn and Clough out wide. When you're playing against a side with men behind the ball and sitting deep, you need to make the pitch as wide as possible.

Osborn can play wide but isn't a winger. With him tucking in a little, you can afford to play an out and out winger on the other side.

After coming on vs Wednesday and apparently playing well at Wigan, Carayol hasn't been seen since and wasn't even on the bench at the weekend.

Hopefully he'll start on Saturday but I'm not holding my breath. Clough should play as a no 10 behind Britt, and get some service to him in the box. If you do that, he will score.

Back on subject, Smith has done fine so far. Much better than Vlad and probably in a par with Henderson.

Arriyibi is a pacy winger, but hasn't had a look in - clearly not fancied by GB?

Carayol is inconsistent - but agree with Banger - the spine of our side has been the issue.

Getting Cohen back in at CM would help, plus Manc at CH with his pace.

Kasami has seemingly disappeared too!

Apollyon - 12/3/2017 11:02

We need someone like Ryan Woods in CDM.

bramred - 12/3/2017 00:07

Since I am unable to watch matches live and see only the Highlights, etc., I wonder about the quality of the goaltending. It seems that in every match our goalie lets in a soft goal and that sounds like the case again today. Even the first goal Brentford scored was from a tight angle and probably should have been saved. But all season long, our defence - when they're not hurt - has had to play in front of shaky goaltending. As much as it's admirable to play the juniors, is Smith the answer to our goaltending in this crunch time?

I read somewhere that he's a bit smaller than average, but my real point is that the defence needs to have confidence in the stopper; without it, the midfield and strikers are always worried about the opposition, rather than concentrating on their own attacking abilities or being the best they can be. When putting a team together, you build from the back, starting with the best goaltender you can get and then defence, etc. Forest seems to have lost it's way. I was hoping they would have sorted this issue in the last transfer window, along with a decent midfielder.

Even Henderson didn't seem all that great, from the Highlights and Match Reports I've seen; I thought Vlad was the answer at first, after saving a couple of penalties but I don't know what has happened to him after that.

Can't we have an emergency loan from a Premier team, in the case of a goalie?

I guess I'm just sharing the disappointment of today's result and this season in general, having been a Reds supporter for over 50 years.

Bit harsh blaming Smith for the goal - it went through the wall and deflected.... the wall did not do it's job!

Our Kids Dad - 13/3/2017 13:04

Arriyibi is a pacy winger, but hasn't had a look in - clearly not fancied by GB?

Carayol is inconsistent - but agree with Banger - the spine of our side has been the issue.

same debate for 3 seasons now. Will MW fare any differently? reasons to be hopeful but track record of disappointment due to Fawaz interference.

All about staying up and trying to hit the summer with something approaching a genuine plan that has been put together by a football manager not a deluded sycophant.

Our Kids Dad - 13/3/2017 13:04

Check the match report for the under 23s game last night to see how some of our secondary players performed.
http://www.nottinghamforest.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/nottingham-forest-under-23s-ipswich-town-3622560.aspx