Goal line technology ........ | Vital Football

Goal line technology ........

Hampshiregills

Vital Youth Team
....... is needed in the lower leagues. That was clearly over the line, but neither the ref nor lino had the guts to say so. We were undone by ( sorry to his fans ) yet another Holy mistake, in a game where we had the best of the few clear openings available to either side.

Lower leagues can't afford it so unless the premier league agrees to fund it I can't see it happening anytime soon. we might need a few premier league clubs to go out the cup due to controversial goals before it happens though.

We benefited from goal line technology at Watford the other year with Dacks goal.

Yes it was a crass remark, but judging by the poor standard of referees we have had in the last few seasons it is understandable. Referees seem to shy away from difficult decisions, and rarely appear to want to enforce the laws of the game.

Yes it was a crass remark, but judging by the poor standard of referees we have had in the last few seasons it is understandable. Referees seem to shy away from difficult decisions, and rarely appear to want to enforce the laws of the game.
How on earth can you blame the ref if he was standing at 90 degrees to the goal line; his assistant should have spotted it as long as the ball wasn't hidden from view.

Yes, but he is a referee. I was including assistant refs in my comment. The remarks about refs was a general observation that included their so called assistants.

Yesterday's error was the referee alone as the assistant would have a blocked view and the referee was within about 8 yards away.

Yesterday's error was the referee alone as the assistant would have a blocked view and the referee was within about 8 yards away.
So what? If he facing the goal at 90 degrees not far from the penalty spot, he would only get a foreshortened view at best, which wouldn't be enough to say the ball was 100% over the line. You know as a ref he can't give the goal.

I think it will come to Leagues 1 and 2 within the next 5 years. How it will be paid for is another question.

So what? If he facing the goal at 90 degrees not far from the penalty spot, he would only get a foreshortened view at best, which wouldn't be enough to say the ball was 100% over the line. You know as a ref he can't give the goal.
As a ref myself i have the power to award a goal if i think the ball has crossed the line entirely.

This is not just the domain of the assistant.

As a ref myself i have the power to award a goal if i think the ball has crossed the line entirely.

This is not just the domain of the assistant.
Agreed because the ref's decision is final. However, if you're standing in front of goal there's no way you could see if the ball crossed the line. The ONLY way you could tell is with a side on view. How could you possibly tell from yards away if a slice of the ball had crossed the line or not?

Agreed because the ref's decision is final. However, if you're standing in front of goal there's no way you could see if the ball crossed the line. The ONLY way you could tell is with a side on view. How could you possibly tell from yards away if a slice of the ball had crossed the line or not?
From my experience i've given a goal from as far as the penalty spot in that situation. I believe the referee was as close as that.

Even though there was a likelihood the goal didn't go over the line totally? Why have technology when you're sitting in the stand?

The closest we’ll get to goal line technology, courtesy of the Shrimpers Fanzone.

“...I recorded it on Sky Goals Express, just had another look at it, on my 40 inch UHD TV, (where the picture is so good you can see the bead of sweat on the ref's forehead when he thinks "can I get away with giving Gills another dodgy free kick?") and it did go over the line, but only briefly, so does that count?...”