Glastonbury n/g | Vital Football

Glastonbury n/g

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
Watching Elton. Some good tunes but certainly voice not what it was. That's the problem with "legends" at Glasto but they get away with it thanks to audience sentiment.

But does anyone agree that Jo Whitley looks amazing? One of my daughters knows her and told me she is 55.

Overall from what I've seen of this year's coverage rather lack lustre.

I’m sure Elton will get going in a bit, I’ve enjoyed this years coverage so far

Elton John, Guns and Roses, what year is this? I remember when festivales used to have an edge!
That said the Rick Astley and blossoms doing smiths covers was brilliant!
I really loved the Smiths covers. Quite sad to see Elton saying goodbye

I thought that Elton was amazing and his voice was much stronger than most of the legends. Rina sawayama was very good as was Loyle Carner. Rick Astley and Blossoms covering Smiths songs was good too.

Reactions: PuB
I saw the first hour of Elton's set on TV and considering he is 76 I thought his voice came across quite well. His records demonstrate at least 3 styles of singing and I think he used the most guttural one which was sensible considering the size of the arena and the surrounding noise. Otherwise he would have been drowned out.

I saw him sing Daniel and don't know whether he attempted any other ballads like Sacrifice but any melodic singing would have been totally lost under the din.

In compared to the disappointment of Lionel Richie at the Royal concert, he really was as good as I expected.

I've never been a big EJ fan but my wife is so I watched it and I thought he put on a really decent show.

Blondie were good too - once they sorted the mike volume out -.
I can't believe that Debbie Harry will be 78 on Friday.

For an old timer, Elton John put on a superb performance, well done EJ !

My personal favourite from the festival was the mesmerizing visual and singing performance of Fever Ray, amazing act.

Quirky sight - Paul McCartney, stood at the side of the stage filming E.J`s performance on his `phone. Good stuff.

Who decided that Guns and Roses were suitable band for headlining Glastonbury needs to be questioned. No way a Glastonbury band.

Everyone seemed to love Rick Astley and Blossoms Smiths set. It appears Rick has turned from 80's musical villian to an almost musical hero in 2023

Last edited:
Lizzo, Elton, Astley, all showing how a true pro entertainer can still hold a crowd, whatever the size.
As an aside I'm quite enjoying the knots some Twitter folk are getting tied up in over Christine (or Chris) of Christine & the Queens getting his chest/her breasts out. Was it offensive as on one level it is just a bloke with his shirt off? Or is it a gender bending female being provocative and we just don't know how to deal with it!

I've been here four weeks and will be here for at least another three.

Had the show off though, which was nice. I saw Jonathan Pie, Steve Earle, The Damned, Paul Carrack, Elvana, Generation Sex (Billy Idol, Tony James, Steve Jones & Paul Cook), Barrington Levy and Elton John. But missed Sean Ryder and Bez's new band (can't remember what they're called) and The Pretenders (I hadn't realised they were playing but watched it on the iPlayer last night and pissed off to miss it; they had Johnny Marr and Dave Grohl up as guests and they were fab - gutted to miss it).

Arriving here from the French thread and, specifically, thinking about discussion on the need for more housing:

Without doubt, the lack of infra-structure, public services and, especially, Affordable housing - we , the UK, will be up the proverbial creek for some time to come.

What`s this got to do with Glastonbury, I hear you say ! Well,

I don`t know much about Michael Eavis - the (Worthy Farm, Pilton) land owner and man behind the Glastonbury, but I do know this much:

I was in Glastonbury in the run up to Festival (i left on Day 1) and I happened to catch some local news that was reporting on continued provision of affordable homes, financed and built by Michael Eavis in Pilton. Another batch of 20 homes will soon be complete (taking the number to 52 homes) thanks to Eavis` generosity. A condition placed by Eavis on the land/properties is that the homes must serve the local community in perpetuity - giving local people, most of whom are working families, the opportunity to live there for the rest of their lives at a social rent.

Fair play to the man - he`s putting his money where his mouth is and supporting the very real need for more Affordable housing. I don`t recall seeing anything about this in the national media.

Rick Astley is a massive fan of The Smiths! He has done a couple of UK tours with Blossoms just playing exclusively Smiths songs and very good they were too!