Gills team of the decade | Page 2 | Vital Football

Gills team of the decade

. Jackman? Don't think so.

This would be Danny Jackson that was our player of the year one season and the runner up in another? Must be a terrible choice if he is winning various end of season awards. It probably says something about our left backs over the decade that he was slotted in at left back rather than midfield.

Mark Byrne? fuck me

Would you not agree that Byrne's shittish season was the one where he was voted player of the year?

So who would the 7 subs be based on the criteria of having to have played 50 games? I raise you Kedwell, Ogilvie, Holy, Charlie Lee, Simon King, - must be a few others?

Not a single Evans signing ?Miles Weston seriously that's sad.

I'm not sure if you are whooshing over Evan's signings since they obviously not played enough to qualify.

Weston was great in his first season as we got promoted but struggled once we went up. Aside from Barcham then the only other players who played there regularly enough were Luke Rooney (ultimately flattered to deceive) and possibly Chris Palmer. Scott Wagstaff played a reasonable number there too but overwhelming played elsewhere. Otherwise I recall Whelpdale, Lee, Miller and Dack playing there on occasions. On the rarity we've played a formation with left wingers, we've often played right footers out of position who ended up drifting inside.

I'm not sure if you are whooshing over Evan's signings since they obviously not played enough to qualify.

Weston was great in his first season as we got promoted but struggled once we went up. Aside from Barcham then the only other players who played there regularly enough were Luke Rooney (ultimately flattered to deceive) and possibly Chris Palmer. Scott Wagstaff played a reasonable number there too but overwhelming played elsewhere. Otherwise I recall Whelpdale, Lee, Miller and Dack playing there on occasions. On the rarity we've played a formation with left wingers, we've often played right footers out of position who ended up drifting inside.
I had no knowledge of the rules at the time I posted .Of that lot available Barcham would be my choice. With Jackman at left back if think that could work .Where Myles and Danny would almost certainly be taken apart by a decent pair on the opposition right side.
I always felt that Barcham protected his full back well.In my view he would offer just as much if not more going forward .The fact that he unlike Myles has spent most of his playing days at a good level seem to support this.

Last edited:
Simon King was absolute top quality. I assume he is nowhere near 50 apps this decade due to his tragic injury hence not eligible.

I'm convinced his pre season injury at Bromley was the main reason we got relegated that season.

Having just checked it don't believe Barcham made the 50 appearances during this decade.I believe he falls short of that which would explain his omission.

Simon King was absolute top quality. I assume he is nowhere near 50 apps this decade due to his tragic injury hence not eligible.

I'm convinced his pre season injury at Bromley was the main reason we got relegated that season.

Absolutely agree with you that had King been fit we would have stayed up. I reckon if he had been fit we'd have been certain for a respectable and safe mid placed position and another season under Stimson.

I think King played over 100 matches for us but compacted into a couple of seasons. I suspect Egan got the nod as he is now playing in the premier league and is clearly the best defender we've had in the last decade. Ehmer probably got the nod as he has been a regular for the past 5-6 years mixed in with always scoring highly in the player of the year votes. King might have been more talented but Ehmer probably gets it due to longevity.

Having just checked it don't believe Barcham made the 50 appearances during this decade.I believe he falls short of that which would explain his omission.

According to Wikipedia he would have made 66 league appearances counting the beginning of the 2009-2010 season.

According to Wikipedia he would have made 66 league appearances counting the beginning of the 2009-2010 season.
Yes but if we only count those in this decade he falls short.I am not on Twitter so I have no knowledge of rules.I have just taken it as logic that only games in this decade count.
So I started counting from 1st January 2010.

If you look at the polls on the GillsInTheBlood Twitter feed you an see that each position was chosen by a vote on a very selective list of options. For example, Egan won a vote over Barrett, Legge and Zakuani while Ehmer won a vote over Frampton, Lawrence, Oshilaja. So an Egan/Zakuani pairing was never an option and nor was Simon King.

And so on for most of the other alternatives suggested above which weren't options in the poll. Relax and don;t worry about it.

SK - 101 appearances