Gills Supporters Trust meeting | Vital Football

Gills Supporters Trust meeting

daveycrocket

Vital Squad Member
Had notification of this meeting which is taking place at the Sturdee Club next Saturday at 11:30 before the Portsmouth game. Does anyone know anything about it, who's going to be there and any representatives from the club?

Had notification of this meeting which is taking place at the Sturdee Club next Saturday at 11:30 before the Portsmouth game. Does anyone know anything about it, who's going to be there and any representatives from the club?

Might be wrong but I think Jogills posted about this a while back. Hopefully he will reply with more details.

I'm not sure what the difference between a supporters club and a supporters trust is. A trust sounds likes it has some sort of voting rights or influence on a club, especially if needed in times of financial difficulty. It would be great if we had one of them but I need convincing that they had any ability to influence the current owner

I got invited by letter, but am in Edinburgh next weekend! Otherwise I may have made an effort and travelled down for it - just to hear other people's take on things.

GST has made repeqated efforts to make contact with Paul Scally and to open channels of communication. I'm afraid he has consistently failed to respond to almost all overtures. Most EFL clubs have a trust and most have some contact and even representation within their club. I really do think Scally missed a trick on this but he is intent on the one man show still.

Trusts have a number of purposes and outlooks but the most important for me is the last stop arrangements. God forbid we go into administration but a group of people with enough contacts and potential resources may be needed to tide things over and facilitate a subsequent sale/takeover. The current members are a mixed bunch with different views, a few business people, a couple at least have been involved in significant sponsorship.

I'm hardcore on supporters clubs, they are totally independent, fan led and homespun or they are not worth a carrot. I'd encourage as many as possible to join the GST and GISC (entirely separate entities).

If you don't like their approach you can seek to change it but we need healthy and well supported groups in the event of disaster. Those campaigns at Charlton, Wimbledon, Accrington and many others didn't come out of thin air. If we are small in number and disunited when the administrator calls we are unlikely to drum upsupport in time.

GST has made repeqated efforts to make contact with Paul Scally and to open channels of communication. I'm afraid he has consistently failed to respond to almost all overtures. Most EFL clubs have a trust and most have some contact and even representation within their club. I really do think Scally missed a trick on this but he is intent on the one man show still.

Trusts have a number of purposes and outlooks but the most important for me is the last stop arrangements. God forbid we go into administration but a group of people with enough contacts and potential resources may be needed to tide things over and facilitate a subsequent sale/takeover. The current members are a mixed bunch with different views, a few business people, a couple at least have been involved in significant sponsorship.

I'm hardcore on supporters clubs, they are totally independent, fan led and homespun or they are not worth a carrot. I'd encourage as many as possible to join the GST and GISC (entirely separate entities).

If you don't like their approach you can seek to change it but we need healthy and well supported groups in the event of disaster. Those campaigns at Charlton, Wimbledon, Accrington and many others didn't come out of thin air. If we are small in number and disunited when the administrator calls we are unlikely to drum upsupport in time.
If GISC and GST are entirely separate entities how come this came up when I googled Gillingham supporters trust.
https://www.uk.coop/directory/gillingham-supporters-trust
It appears to have a link to the GISC.At very least that would get Scally on the defensive. It needs to be totally separate in my view.

That thought of yours chris is down to years of stuff and nonsense propagated regarding the two organisations. It's utterly routine for organisations to link to others that might interest their members and supporters, check other clubs. I'm a member of both but am not active in the organisation of GISC.

I'm not interested in age old disputes but concern myself with the here and now. GISC is currently a bona fide supporters club peopled by full on, dedicated Gills fans. It is not fighting battles, its members are not an anti Scally clique. They are in fact reflective of the bulk of us though probably a bit more club loyal than average. I defy anyone to go on one of their coaches, drink with them before the game, or attend one of their quizs and come away thinking that they are anything other than ordinary, friendly fans of the club.

Hi Jo, do the GST have a website and social media pages? I'm keen to have a look and get involved. Cheers.

Hi Jo, do the GST have a website and social media pages? I'm keen to have a look and get involved. Cheers.

Short answer no. It's been discussed but we are small enough to communicate individually and there has been a general feeling of not wanting to up the ante and antagonise Scally. I think we are beyond that now and trust members are keen to expand membership.

If you were keen to help with a website or social media that would be welcomed I'm sure. Come along before the Pompey game, nothing ventured etc and you needn't make any commitment

Short answer no. It's been discussed but we are small enough to communicate individually and there has been a general feeling of not wanting to up the ante and antagonise Scally. I think we are beyond that now and trust members are keen to expand membership.

If you were keen to help with a website or social media that would be welcomed I'm sure. Come along before the Pompey game, nothing ventured etc and you needn't make any commitment

Working Saturday morning mate so wont be able to make the meeting unfortunately. There must be someone in the trust who can set up a basic Twitter or Facebook account? How many numbers are there in the trust at the moment?

I don't know of membership numbers but will report back after Saturday. Normally only around a dozen at recent meetings but will expect more this Saturday. I'll raise the facebook group again I can manage that as it would be more about info regarding the trust and contact details than regular news.

That thought of yours chris is down to years of stuff and nonsense propagated regarding the two organisations. It's utterly routine for organisations to link to others that might interest their members and supporters, check other clubs. I'm a member of both but am not active in the organisation of GISC.

I'm not interested in age old disputes but concern myself with the here and now. GISC is currently a bona fide supporters club peopled by full on, dedicated Gills fans. It is not fighting battles, its members are not an anti Scally clique. They are in fact reflective of the bulk of us though probably a bit more club loyal than average. I defy anyone to go on one of their coaches, drink with them before the game, or attend one of their quizs and come away thinking that they are anything other than ordinary, friendly fans of the club.
Sorry I did not mean to offend you.I have a friend who is a member of the GISC who like me would like to see Scally move on but realises that he can't unless he finds a buyer.
But Gillingham's chairman needs to liaise with fans more and I know this won't happen if he feels it is linked to GISC there simply is too much history. I have been to events and know there is just a normal group of fans there

If GISC and GST are entirely separate entities how come this came up when I googled Gillingham supporters trust.
It appears to have a link to the GISC.At very least that would get Scally on the defensive. It needs to be totally separate in my view.
I got an e-mail from the GISC about the GST meeting where they said that just to make it clear, this meeting has nothing at all to do with the GISC, they've just been asked to spread the message.

I got an e-mail from the GISC about the GST meeting where they said that just to make it clear, this meeting has nothing at all to do with the GISC, they've just been asked to spread the message.
Unfortunately I don't think Scally would see it that way .But I understand what is being said and can relate to it.

It appears to have a link to the GISC. At very least that would get Scally on the defensive. It needs to be totally separate in my view.
That website has made an incorrect link to GISC.

Supporters Trusts are usually "Mutuals" (co-operatives) - presumably why it is listed on that site.

GST was founded (IIRC) in 2003 - long after (decades ?) GISC.
This was after "ITV Digital", when GFC was building towards its £9,000,000 debt - so it seemed there might be a risk of insolvency/liquidation.
And around the time that AFC Wimbledon arose from their own Trust.

It needs to be totally separate in my view.
GISC is (AFAIK) unregulated. (other than its own constitution)
Whereas most Supporters Trusts are regulated, registered entities - so provide a sort of insurance around which fans can "save" their Club if the worst should happen.

That said, it would be remarkable if some fans were not members of both GISC and GST.

In happier times, Trusts are one of the vehicles that the EFL has in mind for fan representation on Club Boards.....
...if the owner let's them !

https://thefsa.org.uk/about/affiliates-and-associates/#LEAGUE-ONE
Scroll down and see GST and GISC listed separately as affiliates.

Presumably before the merger between the Football Supporters Federation and Supporters Direct, GISC and GST were each members of either FSF or SD.

That website has made an incorrect link to GISC.

Supporters Trusts are usually "Mutuals" (co-operatives) - presumably why it is listed on that site.

GST was founded (IIRC) in 2003 - long after (decades ?) GISC.
This was after "ITV Digital", when GFC was building towards its £9,000,000 debt - so it seemed there might be a risk of insolvency/liquidation.
And around the time that AFC Wimbledon arose from their own Trust.

GISC is (AFAIK) unregulated. (other than its own constitution)
Whereas most Supporters Trusts are regulated, registered entities - so provide a sort of insurance around which fans can "save" their Club if the worst should happen.

That said, it would be remarkable if some fans were not members of both GISC and GST.

In happier times, Trusts are one of the vehicles that the EFL has in mind for fan representation on Club Boards.....
...if the owner let's them !

https://thefsa.org.uk/about/affiliates-and-associates/#LEAGUE-ONE
Scroll down and see GST and GISC listed separately as affiliates.

Presumably before the merger between the Football Supporters Federation and Supporters Direct, GISC and GST were each members of either FSF or SD.

Admirably thorough Tarian, thank you.