Gills Scapegoats over the years (lists!) | Vital Football

Gills Scapegoats over the years (lists!)

MedwayModernist

Vital Squad Member
Right, so the Wilkinson scapegoat thread made me wonder about our previous scapegoats.

Do we reckon we could get a decent list of all gills scapegoats in order starting with the most recent first? Wilkinson (however deserved), let's keep on going.

I'm positing the below, with

Conor Wilkinson (deserved)
Luke Norris
Steve Gregory
Joe Martin
Jon Nutter
Tom Williams (deserved)
Marcus Browning
Junior Lewis

All either deserved scapegoats / scapegoats for good reason, or just players who weren't very good and rightly got criticism but some don't let any form of criticism so always coin such players scapegoats.

And let's not forget the biggest scapegoats of all - "the fans"!

Right, so the Wilkinson scapegoat thread made me wonder about our previous scapegoats.

Do we reckon we could get a decent list of all gills scapegoats in order starting with the most recent first? Wilkinson (however deserved), let's keep on going.

I'm positing the below, with

Luke Norris
Steve Gregory
Joe Martin
Jon Nutter
Tom Williams (deserved)
Marcus Browning
Junior Lewis
Spot on MM, including the 'deserved' and those not deserved.

Slomas should have been a scapegoat.

I particularly liked Junior Lewis. He was class and didn't need to rush around to be valuable. Note his saving interception at Wembley v Wigan and a few seconds later the cross for our winner (iirc).

"Gills Scapegoats over the years (lists!)"

You're claiming Eliot List is a scapegoat?

Fnarr fnarr!

Updated list - I've added Vince Bartram - he wasn't popular at all until we got promoted.

Luke Norris
Steve Gregory
Joe Martin
Jon Nutter
Adam Miller
Steve Lomas (deserved)
Kevin Maher
Marc McCammon (deserved)
Tom Williams (deserved)
Marcus Browning
Junior Lewis
Roland Edge (not sure he was every really a scapegoat)
Vince Bartram (before promotion)

Danny Westwood took a lot of stick towards the end of his career if I remember correctly, and he had been fantastic for us in the past.

Impossible to update this quickly enough because hero to zero and back again is a fifteen minute affair. We have zero attention span, unlimited expectations and no sense of proportion. Take it out on the opposition and officials; it's more fun too.

I found Marcus Browning entertaining to watch. Cultured footballer but just wrong fit for the Gills team he was in. Adam Miller was a bit of a maverick and his errors were mostly forgiveable for the occassional flash of brilliance that he showed. Scapegoating does absolutely nothing to help the team so I wouldn't do it myself.

This list will turn into a list of players that you didn't think was any good. Take for example Duncan jupp of whom was towards the end of his career but I never recall anyone blaming him routinely for any defeat. Ditto for Kelvin Jack who wasn't fit enough to actually be on the pitch to be blamed for any defeats.

It should be remembered that Steve Lomas walked away without taking the club for the money his contract allowed him too.