Gills players with 1 year left | Vital Football

Gills players with 1 year left

wxgill

Vital 1st Team Regular
I would hope after recent times when good players have left for free the club is talking to players with one year on their contract in order to try and extend their deals.

Ogilvie and others?

I would hope after recent times when good players have left for free the club is talking to players with one year on their contract in order to try and extend their deals.

Ogilvie and others?
You’d think so with young players wouldn’t you?
It’s a no lose for the player’s.
Guaranteed wages and the option to move if the opportunity comes up.
Scally has already said that short term contracts for players and managers is his preferred M.O.

Ogilvie and others?
Unless a player is good enough for the championship it will be harder for the bigger clubs in our league to take our players for a few years while these new rules kick in.

You’d think so with young players wouldn’t you?
It’s a no lose for the player’s.
A no lose? Seriously?

Of course there's a potential 'lose' for them. Any player who reckons they are 'worth more', or have a chance of a bigger contract, at a bigger club etc. will realise that by tying themselves down to a long term contract they are going to put off a number of bigger clubs that might be interested, since any potential club would have to pay money for a fee. GFC would also have the ability to block any move if the fee doesn't meet our expectations. It just hugely complicates matters if your under contract and courting a move to a bigger club/or simply just on more money.

Egan showed exactly why players might fancy their chances and being available on a free massively improves your options when your contract is up.

Ehmer another example, rumours are that he's on decent money at Bristol, a move which probably wouldn't have been possible if he was still contracted at GFC.

Of course, there's a risk. As you've mentioned, it guarantees money. It' far better to be in contract than out of contract. I talk as a contract worker myself.

So it all depends on what the players risk appetite is, how they are being paid here vs what they think they can get elsewhere.

It would be good to tie promising talent down but you have to do it really early and not with year to go. By then they are on the radar and you get the Holy and Egan situation where both were ready to move up.

Do it too early and you have a prospect on decent money that may not develop. What if we had tied oldaker down long term on a decent contract.

You also have the risk of serious injury e.g. Simon King.

Its a fine line to walk when you have a tight budget.

I’m not sure with the current financial situation and outlook we’d be able to upgrade any players “in hope”.