Gills in The Pub - Episode 12 | Vital Football

Gills in The Pub - Episode 12

They make a good point about inspiring the players.

With no manager and a head coach/DOF instead, you have a technical framework but nothing that works on the psyche or mental side of the game.

That is probably Evans's greatest talent - no way is either he or Raynor particularly technically minded, but I suspect SC is nothing but.

He was in charge for 34 games in total, agreed it’s not a great sample size.
But there's been many instances of managers being given the boot even earlier. Could have given him longer for sure but I've seen nothing to indicate performances and results would have significantly improved.

Enjoyable viewing and agree with most of the points on SC.
The prime point about the lack of attacking intent which hasn't changed from NH to SC is the main reason for me he had to go.

Noticed it took all of one minute for the self-service pumps to be alluded to. :ROFLMAO:

But there's been many instances of managers being given the boot even earlier. Could have given him longer for sure but I've seen nothing to indicate performances and results would have significantly improved.
There have also been many instances of legendary players with a fountain of technical knowledge of the game not being suited to being a manager or head coach due to their personality, going back to Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, John Barnes, etc.

Maybe having an ability to be a shit when it suits them like Fergie or Evans is sadly a necessary evil.

I can understand Clem wanted a crack at being a number one but was he any more powerful under Jackett's regime than he was under Bruce? Maybe the appointment of an ex manager like Stockdale under him may have created that illusion but, to me, that just confused things further.

I suspect he will go back to being an excellent coach under the right manager elsewhere.

Last edited:
They make a good point about inspiring the players.

With no manager and a head coach/DOF instead, you have a technical framework but nothing that works on the psyche or mental side of the game.

That is probably Evans's greatest talent - no way is either he or Raynor particularly technically minded, but I suspect SC is nothing but.

Agree about having a coach with ability to inspire. Also if they can really bring the fans along with the passion.

I think Martin Allen, TP, Stan Ternent, SE type managers. Whether their teams were good or not, I always thought we were in with a chance because you could see the passion and desire in the coach. That has to rub off on the players.

I think some of the current crop being mentioned or linked do provide that. Ainsworth and Danny Crowley maybe. What’s Michael Duff like? I keep hearing very good things.

“20 Games” as an evaluation period.

We’ve absolutely lost the plot.

He actually had 34 games, and like it or not, that’s modern football.

We’re not the only team to do it, and in fact there’s plenty who pull the trigger even quicker than that.

Ultimately, the owners and football board would have been much closer to Clemence’s work day to day than any of us, and if they weren’t convinced by what they saw, then now is the perfect time for them to correct their mistake.

I think Martin Allen, TP, Stan Ternent, SE type managers. Whether their teams were good or not, I always thought we were in with a chance because you could see the passion and desire in the coach. That has to rub off on the players.
If you talk to people at the club OSK, all of those managers were unpopular(some even disliked) by club staff, by the way they spoke too and treated people. Can't see any of those type of characters being employed by the Galinsons.

It was mentioned that Clemence didn't engage with the fans and was boring in press conferences so how about Ian Holloway.
Only joking and not who I would want but would be one hell of a ride.

Enjoyed this one, Jack. If ONLY there was a mechanism to get served quicker, eh?

All three of you made fair points and I tend to agree with you all. It’s a cut-throat business the game that we love, and on this occasion I feel it was a good move to cut ties now. It gives us the best chance of a clean slate as such and allows the new man to come in and put a stamp on things from day 1.

Duff would be my No 1 choice, but I’m not against the idea of Ainsworth.

In terms of the squad run down, once again I’d tend to agree. We’ve both said on Twitter over the season that there just isn’t enough attacking intent and the players look disinterested. Hopefully someone can come in and stick a rocket up the arse of the underachievers so players such as Lapslie - who we know from previously in his career is a good player at this level - can show their potential.